News:

It's not Opposite Day.

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mikey

scoreboard updates are lame, boring, and do not always support my opinions
unmotivated

Yug_Guy

A few more people gave guesses, so now it's time for the second scoreboard update:

Scoreboard Update #2
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 12  13  14  15  16  17 18  19  20
[close]

InsigTurtle

Hate to run mine concurrently, but I'm gonna be away at school for most of tomorrow (even though classes are over and my exams are on the day after) because I hate my life.

So, have a go at mine! It's free!

I will also post results early on Wednesday because later that day, I might not be in a suitable state to type up a results post. (Then again, when have I ever?) Just warning y'all.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oudaa9wgy75u8np/AAB81mOj65_wWYallRcJNB6Oa?dl=0

No tricks in this one! Actually, there is one, but it should be pretty obvious.

mastersuperfan

HOLY CRAP WOULD YOU STOP IT

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY YOU JUST STOLE FROM ME

SIX

YES, FREAKIN SIX

GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Olimar12345

I don't get it. Can't you just use a different part of the track?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

InsigTurtle

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 26, 2017, 06:28:05 AMHOLY CRAP WOULD YOU STOP IT

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY YOU JUST STOLE FROM ME

SIX

YES, FREAKIN SIX

GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

<3

Anyway, some hints on the unguessed ones so far:
1 - Not originally for a Nintendo game, but a remix of it *is* in a Nintendo game. I wonder why?
2 - I think this one's gone unguessed because the memelords haven't yet submitted their answers.
3 - If it sounds like something, it's probably that thing. But in a Nintendo game.
13 - Not a Nintendo game. Reminds me of Tim Hortons.
15 - I can't even use a meme as a hint here or it'd be too obvious. Well, as it stands, it's kinda difficult, but if I included the lower voice here, it'd be pretty obvious. Super famous. Not a Nintendo game.
22 - barfk barfk
23 - Super famous. Except for this part, apparently.

By the way, the bottom text in the PDF is also a hint!

Maelstrom

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 26, 2017, 10:44:51 AM23 - Super famous. Except for this part, apparently.
This one is killing me. I know it. I know I know it. Y'all now know I know it. But my memory... doesn't know I know it.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

mastersuperfan

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on June 26, 2017, 01:24:51 PMThis one is killing me. I know it. I know I know it. Y'all now know I know it. But my memory... doesn't know I know it.

I feel ya bro

Dekkadeci

I'm pretty certain I know #1 and #13 just from humming them, and I think I can retrieve #3 given enough time.

#23 sounds like a certain Kirby song (which probably isn't super famous), so I'll need to verify...

Yug_Guy

This is just a reminder to folks that you've got about one hour to get your answers in. Also, since this is worth repeating:

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 24, 2017, 12:13:02 PMIf you know ahead of time (i.e., now) that you won't be able to get your answers in until sometime after 6 on Monday, let me know via PM and I can try to delay the answers until later that evening. I for sure will not delay them into Tuesday, since work will prevent me from posting the answers until nighttime.

Yug_Guy

Ah yes, another melody quiz has come and gone. And now, for the results:

But first, did you all guess the theme for this quiz? Take a look and see if you were right:
The Theme
[close]

Anyway, let's get to the songs:

Mild

#1 (8/8)
F-Zero - "Big Blue"
Melody at 0:08

This song needs no introduction. I put this in as #1 as a 'gimme', and since everybody guessed it, I'd say that plan worked out quite well.
[close]

#2 (6/8)
Super Mario Land - "Muda Kingdom"
Melody at 0:15

Spoiler
[close]

Also, SML1 > SML2. fite me
[close]

#3 (6/8)
Pokemon Red & Blue Version - "Cycling"
Melody at 0:16

Another easy melody. I fondly remember this as the song that played during the Ekans minigame in the original Pokemon Stadium, and have loved this little tune ever since.
[close]

#4 (3/8)
Kirby's Dream Land - "Bubbly Clouds"
Melody at 0:21

...I still don't understand how so many of you missed this one. Shouldn't the Kirby's Dreamland soundtrack be burned into all of our brains by now? No?
[close]

#5 (5/8)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - "Overworld"
Melody at 0:12

While Zelda II is a bit of a let down gameplay-wise, the music's still pretty good. It's certainly memorable enough that half the participants were able to guess it.
[close]

Hot

#6 (0/8)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - "Mining Melancholy"
Melody at 1:24

I'm surprised no one got this one at all. I mean, I'll concede that I chose a part most of the way through the song, but there's gotta be someone familiar with this soundtrack, right? I'm starting to notice a trend here...
[close]

#7 (3/8)
Splatoon - "Seaskape"
Melody at 0:47

This is one of the battle themes that plays during matches in Splatoon. And for those of you wondering about the emphasis on the song title, well...

Spoiler
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 24, 2017, 05:12:41 PM7. splatoon, do I need to know the name of the song too?  Pretty sure it's one of the stage themes but idk which one
Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 24, 2017, 06:31:26 PMI mean, it'll only take about two minutes going through the full Splatoon OST on Youtube to find the name.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 24, 2017, 06:41:03 PM"splattack!"
curse you for making me put in effort
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 24, 2017, 06:49:13 PM"ink or sink"
you're a sadist
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 24, 2017, 06:55:39 PMhow about "Kraken Up"
seriously dude you know I know it
Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 24, 2017, 06:57:07 PMSo far two other people managed to give the correct name, so I'm sure you can too.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 24, 2017, 07:02:10 PMtwo other people are nerds
"now or never!"
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 24, 2017, 07:50:16 PMyou're kidding
I'll do it tomorrow or something
or maybe not at all
...he did eventually get it though.
[close]
[close]

#8 (5/8)
EarthBound - "Winters White"
Melody at 0:05

There's snow, I guess.
[close]

#9 (5/8)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - "Ballad of the Wind Fish"
Melody at 0:00

I'm not sure if this is the actual "Ballad of the Wind Fish", or a version that plays elsewhere in the game, but considering how many of you knew it I'm sure it doesn't matter.
[close]

#10 (1/8)
Pokemon X & Y Version - "Shalour City"
Melody at 0:20

My aim was to use X & Y's unmemorable soundtrack to my advantage and stump some of you. Overall, it seemed to have worked.
[close]

Spicy

#11 (0/8)
Final Fantasy IV - "Prelude"
Melody at 0:58

I only realized only after I put up the quiz that the part I included only appears in FFIV's version of the Prelude. I probably should've used VI or VII's to give people a better chance of getting it. My apologies.
[close]

#12 (0/8)
Pokemon Snap - "Camera Check"

Ah, good ol' Pokemon Snap. A game that, apparently a lot of you have never played. You poor, poor souls.
[close]

#13 (1/8)
Mega Man X3 - "Neon Tiger Stage"
Melody at 0:10

Deliberately chosen for it's similarities to the Guns 'N' Roses song "My Michelle". I figured that perhaps some people would recognize that song, do some digging, and find this one.

...as it turns out, most people aren't super-familiar with Mega Man or Guns 'N' Roses.
[close]

#14 (2/8)
Mario Kart DS - "Shroom Ridge"
Melody at 0:40

Remember kids, never challenge someone to a Mario Kart dick-measuring contest, because mastersuperfan and Latios will always win.
[close]

#15 (1/8)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - "Hydrocity Zone Act 1"
Melody at 0:37
(Might wanna turn off annotations for this one)
Thanks 5 Watching!1!

[close]

Burning Up

#16 (0/8)
2064: Read Only Memories - "Both Sides of the Law (TOMCAT's Theme)

Now, normally I'd disqualify a song like this from this quiz, being from an obscure indie game and all, if it weren't for the fact that I have a version of this song in my personal arrangement thread. It's the literal first song in the thread.

...no, I'm not crying, why are you asking me?
[close]

#17 (1/8)
Hey You, Pikachu!

Okay, this song would definitely never have been guessed if it weren't for the fact that Ambrella did a remix of this song for Pokemon Rumble.

...I don't blame any of you for not having played this game. It really isn't that great.
[close]

#18 (2/8)
Blaster Master - "Area 1"
Melody at 0:07

I figured with the recent remaster Blaster Master Zero, some of you would recognize this song from that. Naaaaah, you guys just really like the original.
[close]

#19 (0/8)
Wonder Momo - "Transformation Theme"
Melody at 0:02

Is it an obscure melody from a somewhat-obscure Japanese Arcade game? Yeah. But is it in a Smash game?. You betcha!
[close]

#20 (0/8)
Picross 3D Round 2 - "Cafe"

And lastly, a song from quite possibly the most under-rated game to come out last year. I'll admit this one is a bit of a stretch, but I mainly did it for shits & giggles, so I'm totally okay with that.
[close]

And now, for the winner:
You probably already know who it is by now...

It's Dudeman, with an impressive 10/20 points!

And now, for victory music:
[close]
[close]

Participant Guesses
Dudeman: 1,2,3,5,7,8,9,10,13,15 (10/20)
Olimar12345: 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,18 (9/20)
mastersuperfan: 1,2,3,4,8,9,14,17 (8/20)
NocturneofShadow: 1,3,5,7,8,9,18 (7/20)
InsigTurtle: 1,2,3,5,8,9 (6/20)
Latios212: 1,2,3,4,14 (5/20)
ThatHiddenCharacter: 1,2,5 (3/20)
Dekkadeci: 1 (1/20)
[close]

Thanks for participating, everyone!

ThatHiddenCharacter

Actually, I'm not disappointed in myself for this round. I wouldn't have recognized any of the ones I didn't get.

Also
Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 26, 2017, 10:44:51 AM23 - Super famous. Except for this part, apparently.
I EFFING FIGURED IT OUT! I'M SO MAD IT TOOK ME SO LONG!
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

mastersuperfan