News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[BS-X] BS The Legend of Zelda - "Overworld (Unused)" by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, March 18, 2017, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Uh... I listened to it and one was faster.
Also, Zelda music has a habit of being set to 140, which is significant because dubstep music by definition is set to 140 bpm according to a friend of mine

I don't use any additional software when arranging, just the music source and finale
unmotivated

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mikey

The YouTube video sounded faster

I was replying to Dudeman, it doesn't still sound faster if that's what you thought
unmotivated

Latios212

The low Eb in measure 15-  should be an Fb. Double checked it against measure 7, and they are indeed different.
- m. 17 - the second LH note should be a Bb not Cb. Same in m. 19.
- You forgot to fix the rhythm in m. 21.
- Not really sure why you have a courtesy flat on the Bb in m. 22. Get rid of it?

Very aesthetically pleasing, very clean sheet you have here. Good work.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

I guess it's time for technicalities that nobody cares about except for me:

So here's the thing: the overworld theme that you posted was never actually used in BS Zelda. You see, the Satellaview has a neat feature called SoundLink that could broadcast radio-quality music & voice acting via satellite to be played during gameplay. As such, the limitation was that you had to play the game during regularly scheduled intervals, so that the satellite could broadcast the data to everyone at the same time. (Link) BS Zelda was one of those titles. (Link)

As such, BS Zelda ended up using prerecorded orchestrated music for the soundtrack. If you wanna see what I'm talking about, here's a video from one of the original broadcasts. You'll also see examples of the voice acting as well.

The version of the overworld theme you're using was actually discovered much later when hackers were uploading the ROMs to the Internet. These were leftover themes that were left on the cartridge by Nintendo for whatever reason. These hackers decided to put two and two together, and used these tracks when they made the ROMs available to the public.

This doesn't necessarily mean that your arrangement is bad or anything, but it probably needs to be renamed. If I were you, I'd probably change the title to "Unused Overworld Theme". But hey, that's just like, my opinion maaaaan. And yes, even I'm surprised I know this obscure information nobody cares about

mikey

unmotivated

LeviR.star

Quote from: Yug_Guy on March 25, 2017, 11:57:31 AMI guess it's time for technicalities that nobody cares about except for me:

So here's the thing: the overworld theme that you posted was never actually used in BS Zelda. You see, the Satellaview has a neat feature called SoundLink that could broadcast radio-quality music & voice acting via satellite to be played during gameplay. As such, the limitation was that you had to play the game during regularly scheduled intervals, so that the satellite could broadcast the data to everyone at the same time. (Link) BS Zelda was one of those titles. (Link)

As such, BS Zelda ended up using prerecorded orchestrated music for the soundtrack. If you wanna see what I'm talking about, here's a video from one of the original broadcasts. You'll also see examples of the voice acting as well.

The version of the overworld theme you're using was actually discovered much later when hackers were uploading the ROMs to the Internet. These were leftover themes that were left on the cartridge by Nintendo for whatever reason. These hackers decided to put two and two together, and used these tracks when they made the ROMs available to the public.

This doesn't necessarily mean that your arrangement is bad or anything, but it probably needs to be renamed. If I were you, I'd probably change the title to "Unused Overworld Theme". But hey, that's just like, my opinion maaaaan. And yes, even I'm surprised I know this obscure information nobody cares about

I wondered about that. Thanks, Yug_Guy, for telling me, and proving that I'm not the only one who knew anything about this console. I'll get right to the fixing.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Yug_Guy

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on March 25, 2017, 02:48:47 PMHOW did you know that
This video

Quote from: LeviR.star on March 25, 2017, 07:01:59 PMI wondered about that. Thanks, Yug_Guy, for telling me, and proving that I'm not the only one who knew anything about this console. I'll get right to the fixing.
Np. (Also, I feel like you'd appreciate the above mentioned video)

EDIT: Top comment on the video apparently says that the original broadcast audio was restored & put on the Internet. I'm probably not going to go looking for it, but it's certainly something you could do if you've got time on your hands!

LeviR.star

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on March 24, 2017, 09:50:32 PMThe low Eb in measure 15-  should be an Fb. Double checked it against measure 7, and they are indeed different.
You misread this. It's the same as m. 7 but with an Fb instead of Eb.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Latios212

Just leaving this here (for the other updaters, but also anyone else) before I forget:

Everything's fine with this sheet except I'm not sure about the spelling of m. 17, particularly that A natural. The pitch is correct, I've checked, but unlike the original LoZ Overworld theme which has a Bb there I don't see how the A fits into the chord.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Aside from the change in the time signature, isn't the point of this arrangement to show one of the renditions of the most recognizable theme from the entire franchise? It's little notes like the m.17 A natural that spice things up a bit. I think it could be interesting, and if that's the note that plays in the OST, and the performer is perfectly capable of playing it, I don't see why it can't be there, no matter if it sounds odd or not.

(Also, I noticed a staccato on the 5th G flat in the LH of m. 3, and I will edit it out *ASAIC)

*As Soon As I Can

Latios212

I was questioning how that measure should be spelled using accidentals, not whether the note should be there or not.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on April 18, 2017, 09:24:57 AMI was questioning how that measure should be spelled using accidentals, not whether the note should be there or not.

Oop, sorry, Latios. My mistake. :-[