News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Favourite Soundtrack per platform

Started by 607, May 17, 2017, 11:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yug_Guy

Dudeman

Can I just take a moment to gush about some Mega Man soundtracks? Thanks.

My favorite GBA soundtrack is Mega Man Zero 4. Go listen to this, please. Incredible composition for the GBA's limited sound capabilities, emotion, awesome guitar; it ticks all my boxes. (the game's amazing too but that's not important right now)

I am not a Playstation fan by any means but Mega Man X4-X6 were PSX titles so they're the scope of my PSX soundtrack knowledge. X6, despite being a pretty messy and not good game, has a really great soundtrack with diverse instrumentation, mood, and tone, so go check that out if you're inclined.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Yug_Guy

MaestroUGC

NES: Super Mario Bros. 3, though The Legend of Zelda is a close second.
SNES: Donkey Kong Country, though the entire trilogy is fantastic.
N64: Banjo-Tooie, though anything written by Grant Kirkhope is a strong contender.
GCN: Pikmin
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy
Wii U: The Wonderful 101, though Super Mario 3D World is another close second.

GB: Despite having never played it, Pokémon RBY.
GBA: Wario Land 4
NDS: Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
3DS: Having played little of the library, I don't have a favorite, though I guess Super Mario 3D Land gets it default due to playtime.

Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure 2
XBOX 360: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
PS: Crash Bandicoot 2
PC: The Neverhood
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

LeviR.star

Quote from: MaestroUGC on May 19, 2017, 06:19:27 PMNES: Super Mario Bros. 3

Golly, this game sure has a popular soundtrack. I like it, too, of course.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Dudeman on May 19, 2017, 05:46:38 PMCan I just take a moment to gush about some Mega Man soundtracks? Thanks.
You didn't even so much as mention Mega Man 6. You failed.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Dudeman

Everyone knows about Classic. I wanted to shed some light on some later titles.

But yeah, 6 is bae. Even if Napalm Man is in 5.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Dudeman on May 19, 2017, 07:12:31 PMEven if Napalm Man is in 5.
That song is fairly good, but Staff Roll and Gravity Man Stage are better.

Honestly 5 and 3 are very close to 6.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Dekkadeci

This is going to be pretty biased because I don't listen to full OSTs that often (though I rank OSTs where I have non-fond memories of at least 1/3 of the soundtrack as middle-of-the-road unmemorable):
  • N64: Mario Kart 64 (This game has dang memorable music. About the only tracks' themes I've never hummed are Bowser's Castle, Banshee Boardwalk, and DK's Jungle Parkway. I've even hummed the award ceremony theme before! Diddy Kong Racing isn't far behind, though, and I like F-Zero X's OST a lot.)
  • GCN: Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (It's possible that this OST is even better than Mario Kart 64's. More consonant tunes, still as lively as ever, and not-completely standard chord progressions and senses of key!)
  • PC: The Incredible Machine (OK, I may be cheating by naming a series instead of a single game, but the sheer number of different genres covered by the first few games' OSTs is incredible. Want anything from ragtime, Latin, classical, progressive rock, techno, and New Age to bluegrass? You've got it. The quality of each piece stays surprisingly even throughout, IMO, and it's intriguing to hear the differences in takes between the MIDI-generated versions and the CD versions of each song.)
  • PS3: Hard Corps: Uprising (After learning of this game's soundtrack from a semi-random VGM website, I listened to the entire OST and was hooked. This has great, elaborate rock/metal music, complete with solos, and it's hard to go wrong with any of the songs if you're into that kind of stuff, IMO.)

Echo

Quote from: Dudeman on May 19, 2017, 05:46:38 PMMy favorite GBA soundtrack is Mega Man Zero 4. Go listen to this, please. Incredible composition for the GBA's limited sound capabilities, emotion, awesome guitar; it ticks all my boxes.

Or even better, just skip the limited sound capabilities altogether by listening to the remastered soundtracks.

Dudeman

Quote from: Echo on May 19, 2017, 07:50:35 PMOr even better, just skip the limited sound capabilities altogether by listening to the remastered soundtracks.
I THOUGHT NOBODY WOULD KNOW OH MY GOD
THANK YOU ECHO

SlowPokemon

A few more:

Game Boy: Pokémon Red and Blue is the real choice, but just to mention another that's not been mentioned unless I'm mistaken, Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins. Your love for this soundtrack depends on your opinion of Totaka's main theme that he arranges about seven hundred times for the game. I love it.
Favorite track: I guess "Lavender Town" (Pokémon Red and Blue); "Athletic" (Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins).

Game Boy Color: Pokémon Gold and Silver. There's no better entirely 8-bit soundtrack out there.
Favorite track: I can't just pick a favorite Gold and Silver track, but two that I love are "Battle! (Gym Leader--Johto Version)" because of its killer intro; and "Battle! (Gym Leader--Kanto Version)" because of how effectively it remixes the Red/Blue track despite also being 8-bit.

Game Boy Advance: yeah, gotta go with Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, though the Ace Attorney trilogy comes really close.
Favorite track: Again, I can't even narrow it down, but two that I really love are "Sootopolis City" and "Ending Theme." I can't even pinpoint why exactly, but Ruby was my first big game I fell in love with, so that's something.

Nintendo DS: I'm not claiming it's the best, but my favorite is absolutely Professor Layton and the Curious Village. It's dear to my heart for reasons beyond logic. A couple obscure ones that people might not otherwise be compelled to check out are Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and its sequel, Last Window: The Secret of Cape West. Lots of cool vintage jazz sound in these games.
Favorite track: "Professor Layton's Theme" (Professor Layton and the Curious Village); literally the whole soundtrack but in particular "Easy Feeling," "Slow Steps," "The Last Sleep," and "So Noted" (Hotel Dusk: Room 215).

Nintendo 3DS: It's a tricky one to narrow down because virtually every game Nintendo releases for 3DS has a stellar soundtrack. One that I don't believe any has mentioned is Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. I gush about this score a lot, because it's the most perfect soundtrack ever made in terms of complementing the game it appears in. It's a basically flawless work of art and taps into why I used to get excited about video game music before I was jaded by contemporary studies.
Favorite track: A really killer track is "The Law of Pajamaja." Really all of the area themes are incredible but that one just unfailingly makes me smile. Shimomura has the best knack for melody of any game composer out there, and her skills are on full display in this game.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Well, I've got things to listen to for a while!! :P
Thanks, guys, I didn't expect to get this many replies! :)

BlueStone

NES: Mother/EarthBound
GB: Zelda - Link's Awakening
SNES: Too many great soundtracks to choose only one.
N64: Zelda - Ocarina of Time or Kirby 64
GBA: Fire Emblem
GameCube: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Highly recommended if you haven't heard it before.)
Dreamcast: Skies of Arcadia (Great orchestration)
PS1: Chrono Cross (Unbelievable MIDI quality)
3DS: Fire Emblem Awakening (Incredible MIDI quality)