News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[GCN] Mario Party 6 - "Faire Square" by FireArrow

Started by Zeta, July 19, 2017, 07:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Mario Party 6
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Faire Square
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: FireArrow

[attachment deleted by admin]

FireArrow

Points of interest
General Aethetics - I tried to step up how my sheets look so advice is more than welcome
Voicing and octaves in the last 4 measure
Bb vs. A# >_>
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Maelstrom

Ok, the first system's indent is way too big.
And you could move down the composer/arranger text quite a bit
The last 2 systems on pg 1 are a bit too close for comfort
Page number on pg2 is nearly colliding with the measure number
m28 lh - make those two eighth rests into a quarter
8vb in m15?
I hate to be that guy, but it's "NinSheetMusic.org/"

Olimar12345

^Good stuff. Also remember that if you're pressed for space, your left margin is rather large atm and you could easily take space from there.

Also:
Quote from: Maelstrom on July 19, 2017, 09:22:28 PM8vb in m15?

I disagree with putting an 8vb in that measure, or anywhere in this piece.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

FireArrow

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 19, 2017, 09:22:28 PMOk, the first system's indent is way too big.

It's so I can fit only 2 measures there to preserve the hypermeter. Stretching out those 2 measures across the entire page would be dumb, so I can opt for just ignoring the hypermeter but I think it's rather important with this piece since everything fits so neatly into 4 measure question-answer phrases.

QuoteThe last 2 systems on pg 1 are a bit too close for comfort
Page number on pg2 is nearly colliding with the measure number

I'd probably need to make it 3 pages for this to work or I can do this...

Quote from: Olimar12345 on July 19, 2017, 09:28:29 PMAlso remember that if you're pressed for space, your left margin is rather large atm and you could easily take space from there.

...but that means getting rid of the hypermeter again.

Quotem28 lh - make those two eighth rests into a quarter

You mean rh or another measure?

Everything else I'll fix later.

Olimar12345

Quote from: FireArrow on July 19, 2017, 10:31:41 PMIt's so I can fit only 2 measures there to preserve the hypermeter. Stretching out those 2 measures across the entire page would be dumb, so I can opt for just ignoring the hypermeter but I think it's rather important with this piece since everything fits so neatly into 4 measure question-answer phrases.

You could easily move one measure up a system and start it with two systems that contain three measure each. Its really not a big deal.  In the end, "preserving the hypermeter" created this issue :/

Quote from: FireArrow on July 19, 2017, 10:31:41 PM...but that means getting rid of the hypermeter again.

...no it doesn't?

Also you could adjust the space between the staves if needed. Some systems have much more space than is actually needed.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

FireArrow

I just remember Bespinben telling me on one of my other sheets to make sure the systems match the hypermeter but if keeping things from bunching up is more important I don't have anything against changing it.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on July 19, 2017, 10:39:15 PMAlso you could adjust the space between the staves if needed. Some systems have much more space than is actually needed.

This is the first time I've ever messed with the page layout tool so I just kinda clicked the "space measures evenly button." Is it acceptable to have different spacing between different systems on the same page?

Maelstrom

Yep. I do it all the time, while keeping the bottom systems at the exact same height.

FireArrow

Fixed, does this look alright? That worked out a lot better than I thought it would I should probably question you guys less next time ;J

Olimar12345

Looks good, just a few more things:

-subtitle needs to be centered
-arranger/composer info needs to be aligned.
-The low C in measure 5 LH should be an F above that
-I'd add a courtesy natural to the C in the LH in measure 12, since it's coming right from a C# and there's also a C# in the RH. It could cause confusion.
-The last two eighth notes in measure 32 (LH) aren't beamed together, unlike everywhere else.
-I would prefer to write the eighth notes in layer one of measure 24 (RH) as all beamed together, but what you have is fine too.
-I'm personally not a fan of making notes smaller for visual purposes only, so if there isn't a reason for the notes to be smaller in those places, I'd recommend that you resize them. In fact, in those spots those figures aren't that easy to play in addition to what else is going on, so I'd even consider making a note somewhere with an asterisk saying that these notes are optional or something.

Here's an MUS file with these changes to help speed things along.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypzg7wsjuuwh25x/Fair%20Square12345.mus?dl=0

FireArrow

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 31, 2017, 10:08:10 AM-I would prefer to write the eighth notes in layer one of measure 24 (RH) as all beamed together, but what you have is fine too.

If you're giving me a choice, I'd prefer it seperated.

Quote-I'm personally not a fan of making notes smaller for visual purposes only, so if there isn't a reason for the notes to be smaller in those places, I'd recommend that you resize them. In fact, in those spots those figures aren't that easy to play in addition to what else is going on, so I'd even consider making a note somewhere with an asterisk saying that these notes are optional or something.

I've always used small note heads to denote something as optional, also in this particular case it also stops the note heads from clashing. If that's an incorrect usage of it though I'll gladly change it because I really do want to make sure the reader knows that it's optional.

Olimar12345

The thing is, notes being smaller doesn't mean that they're optional. That's why I recommended putting in a written note somewhere for the performer.

FireArrow

Im dead sick right now so you have my permission to do w/e you want to the sheet to make it sight worthy. Otherwise i can probably get around to it at the end of the week.

FireArrow

Olimar12345

Hey FireArrow. So I reopened this again and I think the biggest issue with this one was just being able to read it, so I revised it for you. Generally in this style of music you'll see staccato quarter notes over eighth notes and eighth rests simply to make the syncopation easier to read. Likewise, The walking bass was chanced to quarter notes as one would also typically see in this style. I also caught a few other small things like enharmonic spellings, text alignment, and even moved the melody in the last 8 bars to the LH, which I think personally plays easier and is easier to read. Check it out when you get a chance and we can finish this submission:

Edit: link fixed
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1ympwgd9m2u0lj/Fair%20Square123456.mus?dl=1