News:

Are you on Discord? Join our server!

Main Menu

ART CLASS

Started by braix, August 08, 2017, 03:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

braix

I figured it might be cool to have a thread where we could help each other with art.
If anyone has any questions about drawing(technique, etc.), leave em here! WIPs are welcome if you're open to critique.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

BrainyLucario

HOW THE HECK DO YOU DRAW FACES!!! I SUCC AT IT
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

braix

What style? Realism or something else?
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

BrainyLucario

Quote from: braixen1264 on August 23, 2017, 07:55:43 AMWhat style? Realism or something else?
Not realism, more like anime style or something.

mastersuperfan

Easy, just make the eyes really big and the nose really small
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

BrainyLucario

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 23, 2017, 10:22:34 AMEasy, just make the eyes really big and the nose really small

I mostly meant the head shape, I'm okay with the features

Onionleaf

Quote from: BrainyLucario on August 23, 2017, 06:28:27 AMHOW THE HECK DO YOU DRAW FACES!!! I SUCC AT IT

This might sound like a simple and obvious piece of advice, but I find that any parts of the body, especially the head, require guidelines (I was reluctant to use them at first but never looked back after seeing how much they help). You're sure to find some examples online for whatever style you had in mind. Anime style head proportions are generally all quite similar, beginning with a circle, followed by defining the cheeks and chin and adding a half-way line for the eyes. Once you feel comfortable drawing a head from the front, you can start practising drawing from other angles. Once you try this a dozen times, you'll be a pro. ;)

braix

I'd have replied sooner, but I really wanted to draw out an example so I kept stalling.
Doesn't seem I'll be able to make any time to sketch out faces for you in the near future though, so I'll do my best to give pointers without photos:

Like onion said, guidelines are pretty much everything. How you set those up will affect the entire face, so make sure to get those right. I like to draw a circle and put the jaw below that, with the distance from the bottom of the circle to the chin about equivalent to 1/3 of the circle's diameter.
Roughly around halfway on the circle is where I put the eyes, but I don't really measure that--usually I just kinda eyeball it(hah)
The bottom edge of the circle has the nose, and a but above halfway between that and the chin should go the mouth.

For each of the individual features, there's several references on Google that you can basically just copy until you get used to drawing them. Eyes are probably the most complex so that'll have to be explained in a different post when I can actually attach images

BrainyLucario

Thanks a bunch for the advise. Someone should really pin this topic