News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[GCN] Kirby Air Ride - "City Trial Properties Graph" by Greg

Started by Zeta, February 24, 2019, 06:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Kirby
Game: Kirby Air Ride
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: City Trial Properties Graph
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Greg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

This looks nice!  Easy to check as well...

-I'd either ditch the 8vb in the first bar and just write that note with the ledger lines or line it up a bit more neatly.  At the moment it looks a bit like an accident.
-I'd cross staff the final note in bar 4.  That way it's more obvious that it should be played with the right hand and also makes it clear how that note relates to the previous right hand chord.
-The bass goes up to a D on beat 2 of bar 4 rather than a G like in the preceding bars.
-The bass at the end of bar 24 sounds like the first two semiquavers are repeated low Gs rather than G D.

Good stuff!

Greg

The 8vb is supposed to carry through the whole piece... should I redo it with a bracket instead for clarity? (Doing the whole thing with ledger lines doesn't look great.)

Libera

Ah ok.  As you can tell from my misunderstanding, that's not very obvious.  There are other options instead of just writing with ledger lines or using an 8vb for the entire thing, like

Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

(taken from one of Tobbeh's sheets).  But there are other options, like simply writing 'play left hand octave lower' or whatever.

Greg

Alright, done.

There's one more complication, which is the potentially confusing interpretation of the cross-staved note in m.4. I've currently written it with the interpretation that the 8vb should affect it, but I can see people thinking that it should be played without the 8vb. I'm not really sure how to resolve this (aside from changing back to ledger lines, but that looks a lot worse). Curious to see what other people's intuitive interpretations are for that note.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Greg on March 01, 2019, 08:36:50 PMAlright, done.

There's one more complication, which is the potentially confusing interpretation of the cross-staved note in m.4. I've currently written it with the interpretation that the 8vb should affect it, but I can see people thinking that it should be played without the 8vb. I'm not really sure how to resolve this (aside from changing back to ledger lines, but that looks a lot worse). Curious to see what other people's intuitive interpretations are for that note.

My first thought was that the 8vb doesn't affect it.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 04, 2019, 11:23:39 AMMy first thought was that the 8vb doesn't affect it.
Same. It's only a G, so three ledger lines isn't unreasonable or cluttered in my opinion.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Latios212

You could write 3 ledger lines above bass clef, but that'd be a big jump for the left hand. I would recommend writing it at pitch on the top staff (i.e. an octave lower than it is right now).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Greg

Quote from: Latios212 on March 04, 2019, 12:41:43 PMYou could write 3 ledger lines above bass clef, but that'd be a big jump for the left hand. I would recommend writing it at pitch on the top staff (i.e. an octave lower than it is right now).

Sounds good to me.

Libera

Final things:

-Not sure if this is what finale did by default, but I think the cross staffing bar 4 would look better with the beam at the normal height of the previous quavers.  Like this:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
-Any chance we could narrow the composer down from four people?

Greg

• Done.
  • I looked around, but didn't have any luck finding the individual composer for this particular track.

Libera

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot