NinSheetMusic Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Author Topic: [NES] Final Fantasy II - "Battle Theme 1" (Replacement) by Yug Guy  (Read 65 times)

Zeta

• NSM Bot
  • Nintendo Nocturne
    • View Profile

Submission Information:

Series: Final Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy II
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Battle Theme 1
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)
« Last Edit: Today at 12:52:04 AM by Latios212 »

Yug_Guy

• Resident Palindrome
  • Global Moderator
  • Sonic Ska
  • Veemo
    • View Profile
Re: [NES] Final Fantasy II - "Battle 1" (Replacement) by Yug Guy
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 03:07:28 AM »

Hey, uh...

Why are the only NES FF Battle themes on-site from the objective worst one of the three?

...also, name change to "Battle Theme 1" pls

LeviR.star

• Nintendo Nocturne
  • The Game Boi Arranger ~ Game Boy Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 03:41:06 AM »

Why, exactly? All of the other "Battle" replacements and existing sheets on the site suggest that this title is perfectly fine; some of them are yours, too. Is this new?
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

My arrangements and compositions!

Yug_Guy

• Resident Palindrome
  • Global Moderator
  • Sonic Ska
  • Veemo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 03:44:35 AM »

Why, exactly? All of the other "Battle" replacements and existing sheets on the site suggest that this title is perfectly fine; some of them are yours, too. Is this new?
That's what it's called on the official soundtrack. As to why FF2's naming convention is different from all the other games - your guess is as good as mine.

LeviR.star

• Nintendo Nocturne
  • The Game Boi Arranger ~ Game Boy Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »

That's what it's called on the official soundtrack. As to why FF2's naming convention is different from all the other games - your guess is as good as mine.

That's really strange -- but, I can't argue with an official soundtrack.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

My arrangements and compositions!

Libera

• The Fastest
  • Updater
  • Rupee Ragtime
  • Triangles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 10:06:06 PM »

This is pretty cool, hadn't heard this one before.

Firstly, notes look good apart from two places:
-Last note in bar 14 should be a Dn not an En.
-In the first set of four semiquavers in the last bar, the G# should be an Fn (it should be Bn -> Fn -> Dn -> Fn).

Other things:

-I said this on your last sheet where I admit it was kind of debatable whether articulations were necessary but here I think it's really vital that they be here.  The composer has put a lot of effort into getting different kinds of sounds out all over the place and the best way to get that across on the sheet is by articulations.  Slurring your grace notes would be a good place to start, but there are loads of others.  I get that you're seemingly not particularly fond of articulations, but I think it would be a really good idea to have a go at it here.  There's so much that could be done to bring this sheet to life.  If you need suggestions I can go more into detail, but I would recommend having a go yourself at seeing what you can come up with.
-You've tried very hard to get this onto a single sheet I can tell, but the result is that the whole thing looks very squished.  You've also had to go to a staff size of 0.54cm to achieve this which is frankly too small and you should really be aiming for above 0.6cm to keep it readable at the piano.  The only way I can see this comfortably sitting on one sheet is by using a lot of repeat sections, which is something I'm personally not too fond of.  If it were me doing this, I would definitely take this to two sheets and I'd recommend you do the same.
-Some accidental spellings:
The Ab in bars 3 and 7 I'd change to a G# (leading tone in harmonic minor).
The Ab, Gb, Fb and Eb in bars 17-18 I'd change to G#, F#, En and D#.  (Ab->G# for the same reason as before for consistency/harmonic reasons [the chords they make are nicer this way] also the Eb should be a D# because it resolves back to En.)
Similarly the Ab in bar 25 should be a G#.

-There are few places where I'm worried about playability.  Everywhere you have grace notes into an octave in the right hand I think it'd be better if you moved the graces up so that they're going into the top of the octave rather than the bottom.  Why?  Well because of the way the right hand is, when you're playing an octave all of your fingers are on one side and your thumb is alone on the other, so it's much easier to play notes directly before the octave with your fingers at the top rather than your thumb at the bottom.  In fact, it's very awkward to play these as written, especially up to tempo.  Another thing that worries me are the semiquaver runs in the lower layer in bars 11, 13 and 26.  As written they're very awkward I think, but perhaps with some careful omission of notes and shifting of octaves it could be made more pianistic while retaining the same feel.
-http -> https.
-I noticed that for the crazy thing in bar 1 you wrote in the reverb as a second layer, but in bar 14 you emulated it with pedal.  I personally prefer the idea of emulating it with pedal (as it's massively easier and less awkward) but I was just wondering why you chose to handle those two places differently.
-Some of the tremolo markings are a little short and could probably do with adjusting (I'm thinking about the ones between the C and Eb at the end of each of those sections.)

Thank you for replacing another of Commander6's atrocities.

Latios212

• NSM Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • Wheeeeeâ„¢
    • View Profile
    • YouTube channel

did that

-I said this on your last sheet where I admit it was kind of debatable whether articulations were necessary but here I think it's really vital that they be here.  The composer has put a lot of effort into getting different kinds of sounds out all over the place and the best way to get that across on the sheet is by articulations.  Slurring your grace notes would be a good place to start, but there are loads of others.  I get that you're seemingly not particularly fond of articulations, but I think it would be a really good idea to have a go at it here.  There's so much that could be done to bring this sheet to life.  If you need suggestions I can go more into detail, but I would recommend having a go yourself at seeing what you can come up with.
Agreed here. With the Tetris B theme there was a pretty uniform sound between notes but things seem considerably more decorated here.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.