[MUL] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team - "Intro

Started by Zeta, April 21, 2020, 02:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Game: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Intro / Title Screen
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bespinben

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Edit (existing arranger remains)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bespinben

Live performance demo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6ow52w3g4mtsxz/PMD1%20-%20Intro%20%3A%20Title%20Screen.mp3?dl=0

Notable alterations:
(1) Gradual dynamic and textural build-up from m.1-6 to m.7: includes simplified melody and accompaniment in m.1-4, and revoicing the arpeggios in m.5-6.
(2) Simplified accompaniment in m.7-8, replacing rhythmic synth bass with chords.
(3) Omission of duplet harp arpeggio in m.9-10, to highlight the subito piano dynamic.
(4) Simplified texture in m.11-14, omitting octave doublings in melody, and emphasizing bass and open 5th drone chords.
(5) Simplified accompaniment in m.17-18, replacing rhythmic synth bass with chords.
(6) Thickened texture of m.19-22 to highlight the forte dynamic (also includes the 3rd of the chord). Omitted timpani strikes on m.21 beat 3 and m.22 beat 1.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

mastersuperfan

I'm going to link the originals here since the tracks seem to have some added notes compared to the original:

Original Themes

[close]

- I believe it's spelled "Grandly," rather than "Grandily."
- I'm hearing an extra D in m2 LH right before the C:

[close]
- Rather than there being a slur from m4 to m5, it sounds more to me like there's a break/pause there instead.
- There are some different/additional notes in the melody in m19-21 compared to what you have written (these are consistent in both the original and the remake:
Images

[close]

Really good piano adaptation! Glad to see you back and submitting PMD stuff again.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Bespinben

Thanks for the inspection :) I will correct that spelling error.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 26, 2020, 09:54:16 PM- I'm hearing an extra D in m2 LH right before the C:

[close]
One of the intentional omissions I made to simplify the texture. I wanted highlight the lilting feel, and I felt added D distracts from that (you'll also notice that in my performance link I use that part to drag the tempo between phrases, which is more intuitive to do with the omission).

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 26, 2020, 09:54:16 PM- Rather than there being a slur from m4 to m5, it sounds more to me like there's a break/pause there instead.
Doing a break/pause here wouldn't fit with the texture I've been building. That said, I do heavily drag the tempo here, particularly on the tenuto, to create a similar effect to the original source.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 26, 2020, 09:54:16 PM- There are some different/additional notes in the melody in m19-21 compared to what you have written (these are consistent in both the original and the remake:
Images

[close]
These are correct, but don't fit with my arranging paradigm for this piece. I'm looking to achieve an optimal "effort-to-reward" ratio, by cutting elements of the piece that would require more rehearsal time than the relative value they might provide to the arrangement. So, for here, I wanted to create simplified version of the run that can be easily fingered without looking, so that way one's attention can be focused on the left hand jumps. Regarding your screenshots, the omissions here mostly are reflective of m.1-4: the circled C's in m. 19 & 21 and the circled G's in m.20 would be omitted to keep the lilting feel, the circled F & D in m. 19 would add complexity to the pattern of the run, and the circled Bb in m.20 would require a 5-4-5 fingering, which tends to be weak.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

mastersuperfan

All valid points. It's clear that everything here is very well thought out, so I shall approve.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 10, 2020, 02:00:04 PMAll valid points. It's clear that everything here is very well thought out, so I shall approve.
Totally agree here :) I can personally attest that this arrangement is easy to play and sounds great!

Accepting! Thanks for the replacement!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta