Game: Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Shattered Life
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

[attachment deleted by admin]

mastersuperfan

Good stuff. A few small things:

- I'm getting a tempo of q=74 instead of q=77 (excluding ritardandos).
- Not sure I'm seeing any reason why beats 1 and 2 are beamed together in m7-9 LH, since beats aren't beamed together anywhere else in the sheet and you don't use the same beaming pattern in other instances of the same rhythm (e.g. m15-17 RH). I'd just unbeam them and keep them in pairs.
- It looks strange for the "poco rit." and "rit." to be between the staves and then "a tempo" to be above the staves in the following measures. For consistency, I think it'd be better for both of them to be above the staves.
- On a slightly related but more minor note, I would also move the "a tempo" in m23 to the right so that its left edge is approximately aligned with the left edge of "con pedale" at the bottom.
- Sounds like there's also an Ab in the RH chord in m29 and a G in the chord in m30.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Libera

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 09, 2020, 12:31:52 AM- I'm getting a tempo of q=74 instead of q=77 (excluding ritardandos).

Definitely 77, although in checking it I noticed that it speeds up very slightly in the final section to 80.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 09, 2020, 12:31:52 AM- It looks strange for the "poco rit." and "rit." to be between the staves and then "a tempo" to be above the staves in the following measures. For consistency, I think it'd be better for both of them to be above the staves.

That's what I do on all of my sheets.  The way I see it is as a distinction between temporary changes and persisting changes.

Other stuff should be fixed and new files are up.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Libera on May 10, 2020, 02:26:33 PMThat's what I do on all of my sheets.  The way I see it is as a distinction between temporary changes and persisting changes.

Did some digging into this and it looks like both ways are in use. Good as is.

Quote from: Libera on May 10, 2020, 02:26:33 PMDefinitely 77, although in checking it I noticed that it speeds up very slightly in the final section to 80.

Strange—I'm consistently getting q=74 in the first half and q=76 in the final section (again, ignoring any ritenutos). Maybe it's a discrepancy between the tempo measurers we're using? (I use this one.) Maybe another person could check and see what they get. In any case, though, it's not an issue worth dwelling much on.

The only other comment I have is that the tempo increase is so minor in the first place that I don't think it's worth putting a new tempo marking for. Ultimately, a pianist isn't going to play q=77 vs. q=80 (or q=74 vs. q=76) noticeably differently (especially since this sheet has a lot of potential for expressive rubato), so I think it'd be better to use a more informative expressive direction (or none at all, since an increase in dynamics and in harmony makes it clear that there's a mood shift here, and the pianist is likely to capitalize on that instinctively). Adding the second tempo marking just invites the player to get hung up on unnecessary details.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Libera

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 10, 2020, 09:15:58 PMThe only other comment I have is that the tempo increase is so minor in the first place that I don't think it's worth putting a new tempo marking for. Ultimately, a pianist isn't going to play q=77 vs. q=80 (or q=74 vs. q=76) noticeably differently (especially since this sheet has a lot of potential for expressive rubato), so I think it'd be better to use a more informative expressive direction (or none at all, since an increase in dynamics and in harmony makes it clear that there's a mood shift here, and the pianist is likely to capitalize on that instinctively). Adding the second tempo marking just invites the player to get hung up on unnecessary details.

Yes, you're right. I think a new specific tempo marking is overkill here, so I've replaced it with a 'poco agitato' which is probably more appropriate.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 10, 2020, 09:15:58 PMStrange—I'm consistently getting q=74 in the first half and q=76 in the final section (again, ignoring any ritenutos). Maybe it's a discrepancy between the tempo measurers we're using? (I use this one.) Maybe another person could check and see what they get. In any case, though, it's not an issue worth dwelling much on.

I put markers down on the waveform in transcribe and get an average from that, which is much less error prone than tempo tappers I think.

mastersuperfan

The MIDI just keeps slowing down from m22 onward instead of returning to normal tempo; a hidden "a tempo" should probably fix it?

That small issue notwithstanding, the sheet itself looks great, so I'll approve.

Libera

Latios212

Nice! Just one thing - the low D natural in m. 13 comes at the end of the measure, not the beginning (the rest of the notes shift left).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot