Series: Other
Game: Tetris Attack
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Demo (Lip's Theme)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

When looking for a title for this song, the name thrown around seems to be "Demo". However, this song is much better known under the title "Lip's Theme", as it is featured more prominently in Panel de Pon & is its title in Brawl. So, I've opted to use "Demo", with the addition of "Lip's Theme" in parenthesis. Honestly, this whole Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack thing is a pain. 

Static

Panel de Pon is technically a different game (Tetris Attack is a reskin a la SMB2). To be honest, I kinda prefer Panel de Pon because it's not part of the Tetris series and Lip isn't even in Tetris Attack (from what I remember at least). In every Smash game this song appears in, it is also only attributed to Panel de Pon.

...With that said, the game and track title you have are fine for the site since I know American titles are preferred here. Maybe you could add Panel de Pon in the game title in parentheses or something (to mirror the track title) if you want, but up to you.

Static

OK now it's time to look at the actual music part of the music:
  • For that triplet in m4, I would unhide the 8th rest so it's clear where the triplet is in relation to the other notes. Or, alternatively, just make it grace notes.
  • m8, 12 RH: Maybe add the trumpet thing in? It might take some messing around but right now those measures (along with m7 and 11) sound kinda empty compared to the original. Maybe even just adding harmonies to those single notes would help fill it out some more.
  • I'm not hearing any of the 16th note things in the bassline, even slowed down or an octave higher. It just sounds like a touch of vibrato on the note (which most of the notes have anyway). I would just leave them all as quarter note As.
  • m43 and similar: I would make the third 8th note just a staccato quarter note. When playing, it'll sound the same, but it makes it a bit easier to read and a bit less cluttered.
  • m43-50 LH: Sounds like there should be a C between the two Fs.
  • Copyright year should technically be 1995 since that is when this tune was written.
  • Given that there's a lot of space available, I would probably make it 5 measures per system (hey look at that it's exactly 50 measures too). This also lets you fit everything pretty comfortably on 2 pages.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on May 22, 2020, 05:06:00 PMPanel de Pon is technically a different game (Tetris Attack is a reskin a la SMB2). To be honest, I kinda prefer Panel de Pon because it's not part of the Tetris series and Lip isn't even in Tetris Attack (from what I remember at least). In every Smash game this song appears in, it is also only attributed to Panel de Pon.

...With that said, the game and track title you have are fine for the site since I know American titles are preferred here. Maybe you could add Panel de Pon in the game title in parentheses or something (to mirror the track title) if you want, but up to you.
We actually already have Tetris Attack sheets up on site, and I'm using the same conventions as them right now. If we would like to start a roundtable about if and how we should change that, then you can be my guest.

Quote from: Static on May 22, 2020, 08:01:20 PM
  • m43-50 LH: Sounds like there should be a C between the two Fs.
I do not hear a C there.

Quote from: Static on May 22, 2020, 08:01:20 PM
  • m8, 12 RH: Maybe add the trumpet thing in? It might take some messing around but right now those measures (along with m7 and 11) sound kinda empty compared to the original. Maybe even just adding harmonies to those single notes would help fill it out some more.
I'm just spitballing here: maybe I could include the trumpet just on measure 12? I certainly can't include the octave jump, and having it played on both m.8&12 wouldn't have the same energy as the original.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 15, 2020, 04:55:02 PMI'm just spitballing here: maybe I could include the trumpet just on measure 12? I certainly can't include the octave jump, and having it played on both m.8&12 wouldn't have the same energy as the original.
I'll toss in my two cents and say I don't think I'd mind doing the trumpet bit in the same octave for both. Sure, it's not exactly correct, but what can you do? Right now it's sparse enough that I think it might do some good.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 15, 2020, 04:55:02 PMI do not hear a C there.
While I don't hear a super clear C, the bass part does have the kick of a power chord. Again, for my opinion, I think you could go either way with this. Add a C for a bit more punch if you like. Me? I probably would, but it's not necessary I don't think.

Honestly my biggest "it's too bad..." area is in the impossibility of getting that percussive feel in this. The percussion makes so much of this song- to the point where I'd almost dream of adding higher notes to the bass to get that moving groove but that's maybe getting too creative. Potentially controversial. So in light of that, I'm going to say it's certainly not bad as is; at the very least it's not brutally difficult like so many sheets are and it's always nice to have some more beginner-friendly ones when possible. Arranging hard is easier than arranging easy in my experience.

On a different note (pun intended), I'm wondering about the beaming in measures 17-18 RH. In measure 17 I'd be inclined to beam between groups of two only; groups of four beaming despite a clear three pairs of notes gives me pause. In measure 18 I'd recommend even stronger to break this beam. It comes out this way because Finale wants to beam in four but as it sits right now it's just plain wrong. I can't even recommend my almost-patented beam-over-rests thing that everyone hates because even that would look bizarre. I'd strongly suggest just breaking this beam. Also the corresponding spot in measures 33-34.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Static

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 15, 2020, 04:55:02 PMWe actually already have Tetris Attack sheets up on site, and I'm using the same conventions as them right now. If we would like to start a roundtable about if and how we should change that, then you can be my guest.
Ah, yeah I forgot about that. It's fine as it is then.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on June 15, 2020, 06:20:27 PMI'll toss in my two cents and say I don't think I'd mind doing the trumpet bit in the same octave for both. Sure, it's not exactly correct, but what can you do? Right now it's sparse enough that I think it might do some good.
Yeah, I think that would sound good. If you want you can only include the trumpet in that measure also (since some of the notes will clash a bit), and just keep the F on beat 1.

Also, listening again, I don't hear the low C anymore either, so yeah it's fine as it is.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on June 16, 2020, 03:25:55 PM
Quote from: JDMEK5 on June 15, 2020, 06:20:27 PMI'll toss in my two cents and say I don't think I'd mind doing the trumpet bit in the same octave for both. Sure, it's not exactly correct, but what can you do? Right now it's sparse enough that I think it might do some good.
Yeah, I think that would sound good. If you want you can only include the trumpet in that measure also (since some of the notes will clash a bit), and just keep the F on beat 1.
Done.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on June 15, 2020, 06:20:27 PMOn a different note (pun intended), I'm wondering about the beaming in measures 17-18 RH. In measure 17 I'd be inclined to beam between groups of two only; groups of four beaming despite a clear three pairs of notes gives me pause. In measure 18 I'd recommend even stronger to break this beam. It comes out this way because Finale wants to beam in four but as it sits right now it's just plain wrong. I can't even recommend my almost-patented beam-over-rests thing that everyone hates because even that would look bizarre. I'd strongly suggest just breaking this beam. Also the corresponding spot in measures 33-34.
I had it beamed similarly in my duet, so I've changed it to this.

Quote from: Static on June 16, 2020, 03:25:55 PMAlso, listening again, I don't hear the low C anymore either, so yeah it's fine as it is.
A'ight

mastersuperfan

Looking good, two small things:
- I would turn m4 RH into a single layer with a dotted quarter and a quarter. The way it is now looks like there are 5 beats in a single RH layer, and condensing both layers into one has no effect on how it is actually played.
- m40 LH beat 4 should be a G quarter note, rather than two eighth notes.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Libera

msf asked me to make those edits above to avoid me having to reset the articulations afterwards and I have now done so!

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot