News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Static's Replacements

Started by Static, May 30, 2020, 06:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Hurry! Hurry!
Approval

Cursed Lands
Just one quick thing - the dynamics are poorly placed. Not sure if it's 2014, but they don't seem to always be in the middle or line up with cresc. at all

Close Call
RH m7-8 is:

Sealed away
m13 LH is all Fs and 16 is all Bbs.
The 2/4 feels weird. Maybe make m3 6/4 and the rest of that section 4/4? That way the Eb plays on the first beat of the measure in m3 and m4.
Not that it matters, but the repeat doesn't reset on playback.

Sealed Book
approval

Library of Ancients
align the dynamics
For some reason, the melody in the intro is making me think of Octavarium for some reason.

Why is Uematsu so obsessed with having his songs transposing up half steps instead of writing longer music?

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 23, 2020, 05:49:54 PMCursed Lands
Just one quick thing - the dynamics are poorly placed. Not sure if it's 2014, but they don't seem to always be in the middle or line up with cresc. at all
I usually like to prioritize spacing dynamics neatly between notes/articulations/slurs/etc. than aligning them with other dynamics if there isn't the space for it... This sheet of course does have that space, so I think it should look a lot neater now.

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 23, 2020, 05:49:54 PMClose Call
RH m7-8 is:
Fixed.

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 23, 2020, 05:49:54 PMSealed away
m13 LH is all Fs and 16 is all Bbs.
The 2/4 feels weird. Maybe make m3 6/4 and the rest of that section 4/4? That way the Eb plays on the first beat of the measure in m3 and m4.
Not that it matters, but the repeat doesn't reset on playback.
Unless a piece has a very clear slow triple feel, I usually prefer inserting 2/4 bars over combing to 6/4 bars; I also think reading smaller measures is just easier. I think what you said makes sense with the melody though so I split it up accordingly.
I also decided to make the 16th runs optional so there's not a random difficulty spike.

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 23, 2020, 05:49:54 PMLibrary of Ancients
align the dynamics
For some reason, the melody in the intro is making me think of Octavarium for some reason.
- Almost everything was already aligned? I just moved the mp and mf at the beginning. If you're talking about m21-28, then like I said above, I prefer to have them spaced away from the notes if possible. Everything dynamic there still lines up with the ones next to it, even if it's not in the exact center of the staves:
Spoiler
[close]
- I can kinda hear that now that you mention it

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 23, 2020, 05:49:54 PMWhy is Uematsu so obsessed with having his songs transposing up half steps instead of writing longer music?
I mean I don't think he uses transpositions as often as someone like ZUN. It's just an easy way to write a bunch of long loops.

Alright, I think I got everything. Thanks for the feedback!

Maelstrom

Well, ZUN's key changes are almost always when the song changes to a different section, rather than a cheap way to pad out composition length.

Close Call
I thought the courtesy accidental was important and that's why I wrote it. Idk if you want it or not, but you didn't add it so I felt like I should point it out.

Library of Ancients
I was specifically talking about m24 but I guess it's fine.
approved, along with Cursed Lands and Sealed Away

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 23, 2020, 09:07:28 PMClose Call
I thought the courtesy accidental was important and that's why I wrote it. Idk if you want it or not, but you didn't add it so I felt like I should point it out.
Ah yeah, I did notice but I chose to left it out because it starts on a new line, which basically functions as a set of courtesy naturals for everything in that measure (7 naturals here).

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 23, 2020, 09:07:28 PMLibrary of Ancients
I was specifically talking about m24 but I guess it's fine.
It looks like it's already centered in 24

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 23, 2020, 09:07:28 PMWell, ZUN's key changes are almost always when the song changes to a different section, rather than a cheap way to pad out composition length.
Eh, I guess sometimes that's the case, but a lot of the tracks I've arranged in the past have had a lot of almost literal copy/paste sections in different keys (or even sometimes in the same key like in Mt Ooe). Not to say I dislike that kind of writing - I think it works very well in-game with building constant tension... which is also what Close Call and Hurry Hurry do. Those tracks are supposed to be short bursts of energy, so they don't need a whole melodic form or anything, at least that's how I see it.

Maelstrom

Fair I guess.

Close call approved

Maelstrom

A New World
approov

Battle 2
m33+34 - the D should be a D#. In m36, the D on b1.5 RH should be a D#.
m3 and m7 - the natural here is a courtesy accidental and should be marked as such. 

Exdeath's Castle
There's enough space to align the MP at the beginning....

Spreading Grand Wings
I hear a 2nd layer that hit son every note in m16 that sounds easily playable and incorperatable. I can see why you left it out after writing it in. Approvedd.

Evil Lord Exdeath
By the way, you split the staves into different tracks by forgot to give the LH a dynamic so it gets drowned out by the RH.
Not required for appruval, which I will give, but thought it was worth mentioning.
Oddly enough, I think the modulation works way better in this song than the others, even half the length is just repeated modulations.

Decisive Battle and Final Battle feedback coming later

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 24, 2020, 07:39:44 AMBattle 2
m33+34 - the D should be a D#. In m36, the D on b1.5 RH should be a D#.
m3 and m7 - the natural here is a courtesy accidental and should be marked as such.
- Fixed
- I prefer to write courtesy accidentals without the parentheses since it reduces clutter. With or without parentheses, they're still courtesy accidentals.

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 24, 2020, 07:39:44 AMExdeath's Castle
There's enough space to align the MP at the beginning....
Done

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 24, 2020, 07:39:44 AMEvil Lord Exdeath
By the way, you split the staves into different tracks by forgot to give the LH a dynamic so it gets drowned out by the RH.
Not required for appruval, which I will give, but thought it was worth mentioning.
Oddly enough, I think the modulation works way better in this song than the others, even half the length is just repeated modulations.
- I added the dynamic
- This one's just a very long i-iv progression, not a modulation

Maelstrom

Battle 2
I'd at least like to have the next checker weigh in on it. When there's a courtesy accidental without the parentheses, I tend to have an existential crisis about it. Up to you I guess. It feels more important for a natural than a sharp tbh. In Final Battle m32, it feels  fine. Just not here.

That and Exdeath's Castle are approvaled provided the next person comments on the courtesy accidental thing

The Decisive Battle
good

The Final Battle
good
I like the return of the bassline pattern from Decisive Battle here.

Quote from: Static on August 24, 2020, 09:22:16 AM- This one's just a very long i-iv progression, not a modulation
maybe that's why I like it then

mastersuperfan

Battle to the Death - Final Fantasy VI
Everything looks and sounds great. Just one quick question—if there is a D.C. with a pickup measure (and the final measure has full length), is it a customary assumption that the player should go back to the measure after the pickup? I can't find anything about this online.

Terra's Theme - Final Fantasy VI
- Not sure if it got messed up importing into v26 but the Layer 2 tie in m17 RH should be flipped downward.
- The repeat ending numbers should only display "1." and "2." instead of including 3 and 4.
- I think the Layer 1 tie in m33 RH would look better flipped downward, although it's fine if you want to keep it upward.
- m39 dynamic is really close to the barline and could also be moved upward.
- Not super fond of the way m55-56 LH sounds, particularly the fifth on beat 3. I hear where it comes from... I just don't think it sounds great on piano. That's just my take, though.
- D.S. at the end is almost touching the eighth notes on beat 4. (Maybe another v26 import error? I see the last two eighth notes flipped upward, but maybe they should be flipped down instead?)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 25, 2020, 06:40:46 PMBattle to the Death - Final Fantasy VI
Everything looks and sounds great. Just one quick question—if there is a D.C. with a pickup measure (and the final measure has full length), is it a customary assumption that the player should go back to the measure after the pickup? I can't find anything about this online.
Yes it is

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 25, 2020, 06:40:46 PMTerra's Theme - Final Fantasy VI
- Not sure if it got messed up importing into v26 but the Layer 2 tie in m17 RH should be flipped downward.
- The repeat ending numbers should only display "1." and "2." instead of including 3 and 4.
- I think the Layer 1 tie in m33 RH would look better flipped downward, although it's fine if you want to keep it upward.
- m39 dynamic is really close to the barline and could also be moved upward.
- Not super fond of the way m55-56 LH sounds, particularly the fifth on beat 3. I hear where it comes from... I just don't think it sounds great on piano. That's just my take, though.
- D.S. at the end is almost touching the eighth notes on beat 4. (Maybe another v26 import error? I see the last two eighth notes flipped upward, but maybe they should be flipped down instead?)
As much as I would like to answer this, it's probably best left to Maelstrom.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on August 25, 2020, 06:57:40 PMAs much as I would like to answer this, it's probably best left to Maelstrom.

o

oops
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

oh also I accept Battle to the Death

Latios212

FFV - Library of Ancients
- Repeat numbers could be left aligned with the notes.
- You could do something with the percussion with the last four measures (either writing out percussive hits or low C's) to make it more interesting, but up to you.

FFV - Sealed Away
- I think m. 3-4 might make more sense as one 6/4 measures instead of 4+2?
- I'm hearing the bass as F in m. 13 and Bb in m. 16.

FFV -
- Yeah, I agree with no courtesy accidentals here because the keysig is blank and this song very noticeably does some unusual stuff.
- Second chord in m. 13 sounds like it should have a G instead of F in it.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on August 29, 2020, 05:40:16 PMFFV - Library of Ancients
- Repeat numbers could be left aligned with the notes.
- You could do something with the percussion with the last four measures (either writing out percussive hits or low C's) to make it more interesting, but up to you.
- Done, also just changed to 1 and 2 for simplicity.
- Interesting; I might have done that if I arranged this from scratch, but I think I want to keep the simple quarter note pulse going for most of this sheet.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 29, 2020, 05:40:16 PMFFV - Sealed Away
- I think m. 3-4 might make more sense as one 6/4 measures instead of 4+2?
- I'm hearing the bass as F in m. 13 and Bb in m. 16.
- Personally, I don't hear those extra 2 beats as part of a triple-meter measure, but rather just what it is - an extra 2 beats. I think 2/4 makes more sense in this specific case. 6/4 implies a triple feel like 6/8.
- Oops, yeah. Fixed

FFV -
- Yeah, I agree with no courtesy accidentals here because the keysig is blank and this song very noticeably does some unusual stuff.
- Second chord in m. 13 sounds like it should have a G instead of F in it.
[/quote]
- m13 has been fixed

All files have been updated, thanks for taking a look!

mastersuperfan

FFV - Battle 2
- I personally think it looks weird when half rests are positioned on the top line of the staff... I like to have them floating above the staff at least (otherwise it looks more to me like a random bump on the staff than a half rest). But that's just me and if you think it looks fine, then it's fine.
- The dynamic in m9 is too low and could be moved upward.
- m13-20 and m21-30 sound like they have similar intensity to me so I wonder if giving them both the same dynamics (whether mf or f) would be appropriate. That said, if the increase to forte in m21 is for effect, that's good too.
- Was it an intentional decision to raise m4 LH beat 3 up an octave? Assuming yes but just checking.
Yeah, that's all I have to say. It looks great.

Also, re: Mael's comment: I think courtesy naturals are fine unparenthesized, and I personally tend to leave them unparenthesized except in specific cases where parenthesizing them would noticeably decrease confusion/ambiguity. Yes, the courtesy accidentals in m3/7 are naturals (E natural), but they're naturals in a section where there are more E#'s everywhere than En's, so I don't think it's confusing at all.

FFV - Spreading Grand Wings
Muy bueno. I accept. However, this arrangement also broke my Finale playback on the second loop, for some reason.

[close]

More FFV checking to come soon.