Static's Replacements

Started by Static, May 30, 2020, 06:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 30, 2020, 12:22:49 AMFFV - Battle 2
- I personally think it looks weird when half rests are positioned on the top line of the staff... I like to have them floating above the staff at least (otherwise it looks more to me like a random bump on the staff than a half rest). But that's just me and if you think it looks fine, then it's fine.
- The dynamic in m9 is too low and could be moved upward.
- m13-20 and m21-30 sound like they have similar intensity to me so I wonder if giving them both the same dynamics (whether mf or f) would be appropriate. That said, if the increase to forte in m21 is for effect, that's good too.
- Was it an intentional decision to raise m4 LH beat 3 up an octave? Assuming yes but just checking.
- I actually prefer the bump over having them just floating there, so that way there isn't a random line protruding from the sides of the rest; I just don't like how that looks.
- Fixed
- Yeah, I just wanted m21 and onward to have some extra energy, even if it isn't necessarily that much louder (or louder at all).
- Yes; it's easier to play when jumping from beats 1-2.

mastersuperfan

FFV - Battle 2 - accepted

FFV - The Evil Lord Exdeath
- There's... no tempo marking?
- In m3-5, would you prefer to use an 8vb for the LH instead of 8va?

FFV - Exdeath's Castle
- Most of the results that came up when I searched the track name said "Castle Exdeath." Are you confident about the title?
- Those tremolo markings in m2 LH are really hard to see and hardly look like tremolo markings. Is there some way to make the lines longer so that it's easier to read from a glance?
- m8/10/12/14 LH beat 1, do you also want staccatos with the accents, or just accents?
- In m10/12/14, do you want the decrescendo to cover the last beat of the measure as well? Visually, it doesn't really seem to go through beat 4 at the moment.

FFV - A New World
- In the measures where the LH is resting for beats 2-3, did you consider trying to fill that in with notes from the guitar/banjo-like part?
- The second-to-last and last systems are really close together considering the pedal markings are almost touching the beams below. Is it possible to free up space elsewhere and increase the spacing there?
- The two pedal markings in m19 are not touching; there's a small space between them.
- Do you specifically want the pianist to change pedal on beat 4.5 at the end of a measure, and not on beat 1 of the next measure? That seems oddly particular to me.
- This is me nitpicking but I think the ends of the crescendo in m2 and decrescendo in m10 could be extended a little more to the right to completely go through the last eighth note.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 30, 2020, 12:38:40 PMFFV - The Evil Lord Exdeath
- There's... no tempo marking?
- In m3-5, would you prefer to use an 8vb for the LH instead of 8va?
- Added
- Technically 8va is the correct one, I tend to use either interchangeably... Or depending on whether or not I feel like making a new smartshape for it.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 30, 2020, 12:38:40 PMFFV - Exdeath's Castle
- Most of the results that came up when I searched the track name said "Castle Exdeath." Are you confident about the title?
- Those tremolo markings in m2 LH are really hard to see and hardly look like tremolo markings. Is there some way to make the lines longer so that it's easier to read from a glance?
- m8/10/12/14 LH beat 1, do you also want staccatos with the accents, or just accents?
- In m10/12/14, do you want the decrescendo to cover the last beat of the measure as well? Visually, it doesn't really seem to go through beat 4 at the moment.
- See here. I used "Exdeath" over "X-Death" since that is the most common translation.
- Fixed
- Just accents; I want that note to linger a little more
- Yeah, I do. I've extended those

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 30, 2020, 12:38:40 PMFFV - A New World
- In the measures where the LH is resting for beats 2-3, did you consider trying to fill that in with notes from the guitar/banjo-like part?
- The second-to-last and last systems are really close together considering the pedal markings are almost touching the beams below. Is it possible to free up space elsewhere and increase the spacing there?
- The two pedal markings in m19 are not touching; there's a small space between them.
- Do you specifically want the pianist to change pedal on beat 4.5 at the end of a measure, and not on beat 1 of the next measure? That seems oddly particular to me.
- This is me nitpicking but I think the ends of the crescendo in m2 and decrescendo in m10 could be extended a little more to the right to completely go through the last eighth note.
- I think I just want the bassline there, to give the LH some space. Then, in m11 the texture change is more noticable.
- Everything has been spaced apart some more
- Fixed
- Yes; if you re-pedal right on the downbeat, the chords mix together and it can sound really muddy/clashy. I always like to release the pedal right before the next chord.
- Extended

mastersuperfan

FFV - The Evil Lord Exdeath
I still don't see the tempo marking... Finale issue? Also, the LH 8va in m3-4 is really close to the accents and could be lowered a smidge.

FFV - Exdeath's Castle - accepted

FFV - A New World
lol there's still a tiny gap between the pedal markings in m19-20
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

FFV - Lobrary of Ancients, Sealed Away, Close Call
Quote from: Static on August 29, 2020, 11:22:29 PM...
Cool, these look good. Accepted!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 30, 2020, 03:13:44 PMFFV - The Evil Lord Exdeath
I still don't see the tempo marking... Finale issue? Also, the LH 8va in m3-4 is really close to the accents and could be lowered a smidge.
- Oh oops, it should be there now
- Fixed

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 30, 2020, 03:13:44 PMFFV - A New World
lol there's still a tiny gap between the pedal markings in m19-20
- aaaaaa
- Fixed

mastersuperfan

FFV - Hurry! Hurry!
- Tempo should be 179 instead of 180
- Do you want courtesy naturals on the G's in m3 LH?

FFV - Cursed Lands
- Tempo should be 124 instead of 120
- Have you considered changing all the eighth note - eighth rest - eighth note patterns in the RH to staccato'd quarter + eighth? It just looks really cluttered to me to have rests under beams between all the notes everywhere.
- Top system on page 2 is a bit close to the header; you could decrease the space between systems on page 2 just a little bit and move the top system down.
- Natural on m22/24 RH beat 3 Layer 2 is colliding with Layer 1, if you could space those notes apart a little more.
- Speaking of m22/24 RH beat 3 Layer 2, that A natural doesn't sound on playback for some reason (at least for me). Any clue why?
- Why is there a parenthesized eighth rest at the end of m26? or is v26 displaying it wrong
- I think m25-26 look really stretched and would prefer to shorten the system, but I think you said before that you prefer not to shorten the last system, so it's fine.

FFV - Sealed Book
- You put Sealed Away as the title instead of Sealed Book
- Dynamic marking in m5 is a bit too low
- Say hello again to "your (de)crescendos don't fully cover the last note," which is the case for both the crescendos and decrescendos in m5-16 with regard to the last 16th note
- This sheet is pretty tight on space. Maybe you could decrease the space between the LH and RH staves in the first system (which is pretty empty) and then use that extra space to spread the systems apart a little more?

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 30, 2020, 08:58:36 PMFFV - Hurry! Hurry!
- Tempo should be 179 instead of 180
- Do you want courtesy naturals on the G's in m3 LH?
- Fixed
- Sure, done

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 30, 2020, 08:58:36 PMFFV - Cursed Lands
- Tempo should be 124 instead of 120
- Have you considered changing all the eighth note - eighth rest - eighth note patterns in the RH to staccato'd quarter + eighth? It just looks really cluttered to me to have rests under beams between all the notes everywhere.
- Top system on page 2 is a bit close to the header; you could decrease the space between systems on page 2 just a little bit and move the top system down.
- Natural on m22/24 RH beat 3 Layer 2 is colliding with Layer 1, if you could space those notes apart a little more.
- Speaking of m22/24 RH beat 3 Layer 2, that A natural doesn't sound on playback for some reason (at least for me). Any clue why?
- Why is there a parenthesized eighth rest at the end of m26? or is v26 displaying it wrong
- I think m25-26 look really stretched and would prefer to shorten the system, but I think you said before that you prefer not to shorten the last system, so it's fine.
- Fixed
- Good idea, done
- Fixed
- Fixed
- I deleted and re-entered the note, hopefully it should play now
- The mezzoforte was supposed to be parenthesized, but I looking at it again, I don't think it's necessary for it to have them. I removed them.
- Yes

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 30, 2020, 08:58:36 PMFFV - Sealed Book
- You put Sealed Away as the title instead of Sealed Book
- Dynamic marking in m5 is a bit too low
- Say hello again to "your (de)crescendos don't fully cover the last note," which is the case for both the crescendos and decrescendos in m5-16 with regard to the last 16th note
- This sheet is pretty tight on space. Maybe you could decrease the space between the LH and RH staves in the first system (which is pretty empty) and then use that extra space to spread the systems apart a little more?
- Oh no
- Adjusted
- aaaaaa fixed
- Done

mastersuperfan

FFV - Hurry! Hurry!, Cursed Lands, Sealed Book

Nice, all accepted. I extended the crescendos in Sealed Book for you too (Sealed Book doesn't have any articulations, so hopefully v26 didn't change anything else.)

Libera

Battle at the Big Bridge

In general looks really good.  A few small things though:

-You've written the opening in 6/4 but are beaming in 3/2.  I think the beaming is correct and the time signature is wrong.  The sections like bars 9, 12 and 13 seem like hemiolas to me.
-The bass note in beat 1 of bar 49 sounds like two quavers to me rather than a crotchet.
-I think the second layer chord in beat 1.5 of bar 39 should be C and An rather than An and Eb.  It'd also give you a fuller harmony there rather than doubling the Eb.
-Maybe indicate that the ending is optional with some text?
-Personally, I'd use a D.S. and a segno rather than repeat markings for the loop since the forward repeat is two pages prior.

Maelstrom

Forest Navel
Hard to tell if it's an echo, but I hear a C on b3.5 of m4.

Forest of Hope
good

Latios212

Flipside

Wow... this one's a doozy. Curious, have you tested this one on the piano? Some overlaps look pretty troublesome particularly in m. 35 and 40. They could probably be dealt with by the performer after a little playing around and seeing what voice is good to play with what hand but just curious if you had any thoughts regarding those places.

- In m. 12 I would actually suggest keeping layer 2 as-is from the original, going over the Gb melody. That sticks out to me more when listening to the original and prevents the octave jump down and back up.
- In m. 19 LH, I hear a Cn play in that gap you have (when the Db plays an eighth)
- Not sure if it's just me, but the middle of m. 23 needs some respacing due to the flats in the chord
- Maybe put the staccatos above the last top staff notes in m. 33 and 35

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

The Forest of Hope
- Missing repeat signs for each variation?
- [Theme] - I see you have the left hand consistently an octave lower than in the Sunset version, but have you considered raising the left hand in m. 31-38 anyway? Most of the arrangement sounds okay low but these couple chords in particular sound like mush at that register rather than the lush seventh chords they are.
- [Theme (Sunset)] - The slur in m. 94 is super close to the top notes in the LH, you could allocate a bit more space between staves here
- [Theme (Sunset)]/[Battle (Sunset)] - I think it would make more sense to have the section title above the 8va rather than give versa

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Battle at the Big Bridge
Quote from: Libera on December 09, 2020, 04:00:25 PM-You've written the opening in 6/4 but are beaming in 3/2.  I think the beaming is correct and the time signature is wrong.  The sections like bars 9, 12 and 13 seem like hemiolas to me
-The bass note in beat 1 of bar 49 sounds like two quavers to me rather than a crotchet.
-I think the second layer chord in beat 1.5 of bar 39 should be C and An rather than An and Eb.  It'd also give you a fuller harmony there rather than doubling the Eb.
-Maybe indicate that the ending is optional with some text?
-Personally, I'd use a D.S. and a segno rather than repeat markings for the loop since the forward repeat is two pages prior.
- Fixed but I left the 9/4 bar as 9/4... Unless you would prefer 4.5/2.
- The bass actually is just a quarter note, but the kick drum plays 8ths there. I added the extra note for some extra punch.
- I agree
- Done
- Also done

The Forest Navel
Quote from: Maelstrom on December 09, 2020, 06:33:49 PMHard to tell if it's an echo, but I hear a C on b3.5 of m4.
I hear it as an echo there, it's a lot quieter than the C on on b3.5 of m9 and onward.

Flipside
Quote from: Latios212 on December 09, 2020, 06:56:44 PMWow... this one's a doozy. Curious, have you tested this one on the piano? Some overlaps look pretty troublesome particularly in m. 35 and 40. They could probably be dealt with by the performer after a little playing around and seeing what voice is good to play with what hand but just curious if you had any thoughts regarding those places.

- In m. 12 I would actually suggest keeping layer 2 as-is from the original, going over the Gb melody. That sticks out to me more when listening to the original and prevents the octave jump down and back up.
- In m. 19 LH, I hear a Cn play in that gap you have (when the Db plays an eighth)
- Not sure if it's just me, but the middle of m. 23 needs some respacing due to the flats in the chord
- Maybe put the staccatos above the last top staff notes in m. 33 and 35
I tried playing it a bit at the piano when I was first working on it, but other than that not as much as I probably should have... I tried to make the 2nd page more clear by moving the voices to the hand I think they should be played.
- Done
- Added
- Fixed
- I hear them as slightly longer than the LH melody so that's why I left them as-is, but I think I'll just change them to staccato 8th notes instead.

The Forest of Hope
Quote from: Latios212 on December 12, 2020, 02:25:47 PM- Missing repeat signs for each variation?
- [Theme] - I see you have the left hand consistently an octave lower than in the Sunset version, but have you considered raising the left hand in m. 31-38 anyway? Most of the arrangement sounds okay low but these couple chords in particular sound like mush at that register rather than the lush seventh chords they are.
- [Theme (Sunset)] - The slur in m. 94 is super close to the top notes in the LH, you could allocate a bit more space between staves here
- [Theme (Sunset)]/[Battle (Sunset)] - I think it would make more sense to have the section title above the 8va rather than give versa
- I didn't add repeats mostly bc the sound files would be really long but I'll add them in. (did this for Forest Navel too btw)
- I was very confused by this, but then I realized that I was transcribing a different version the entire time... I double checked the in-game music and it is indeed an octave up, for the entire LH; not just 31-38. I changed it to match the in-game version, which honestly I think just sounds better.
- I just flipped it I did flip it and then I didn't but I forgot to say I didn't; but either way the spacing is better now
- Also fixed

Maelstrom

The Dreadful Fight
-Maybe make the entire bassline 8vb? Or write some text and use the score manager to transpose it or something.
-Accents over the slur in m51 but under in 55?
man this is a weird rhythm
Otherwise it's fine, great work

Another Moon
-Maybe tame those slurs in the last too systems, they're encroaching too much on the ties above them for their own good. Maybe decrease the space between staves in the last system if you're having trouble lowering them further?
-No repeat? The video you linked does...
-Raise b1 rests in m5-11? I'd recommend making them slightly more in line with the top layer's notes rather than having them right before the 3rd layer 8th note.

The Final Battle
didn't I already check a sheet with this name?
Fantastic work, approved