Static's Replacements

Started by Static, May 30, 2020, 06:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Static

Animal Crossing - Resetti Themes*[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy IV - The Dreadful Fight[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy IV - Another Moon[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy IV - The Final Battle[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Main Theme of FINAL FANTASY V[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Hurry! Hurry! (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Sealed Away (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Cursed Lands (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Close Call (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Battle 2[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Spreading Grand Wings[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Library of Ancients (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - The Evil Lord Exdeath[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Exdeath's Castle[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Battle at the Big Bridge[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - A New World†[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Sealed Book (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - The Decisive Battle[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - The Final Battle[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy VI - Battle to the Death [MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Super Mario Kart - Title Screen[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Super Mario Kart - Choose Your Driver[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
New Super Mario Bros. - Toad House[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Super Mario Galaxy - Hell Prominence (Melty Molten Galaxy)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Super Paper Mario - Flipside[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Pikmin - The Forest Navel[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Pikmin - The Forest of Hope[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]

*This is a replacement of both this and that sheet, with more accurate rhythms, pitch, and added optional percussion parts, as well as including Don's theme. The Resetti themes used in City Folk and New Leaf are identical to the GCN versions (basically we have 2 duplicate sheets).

†The title on site is "The Land Unknown", which is a different track from the same game. I replaced the sheet itself, which was "A New World".

Many of the Final Fantasy sheets above have conflicting titles with the ones I chose. I went by the standard English titles from the Original Sound Version listings on VGMdb for FFIV and V, and the Alternate English titles for FFVI (since that is what most sheets on the site currently use, and are commonly used/accepted titles).

Static

I've went through all my old sheets above and updated the formatting, made some different arranging choices, https, the works.
For Battle on the Big Bridge, my new edits in addition to the older ones make it more of my arrangement than the original, so I've made it a challenge replacement instead of an edit replacement.

New sheets will come soon...

Latios212

Super Mario Kart - Choose Your Driver
- Have you considered raising the RH an octave? I think it would sound a lot more natural that way, as these dense chords sound kind of muddy down there.
- Is there any difference between the first and second 4 measures? It looks like this could just be written as a 4 measure loop.

Also friendly reminder to host your files in the shared Dropbox folder :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2020, 09:39:47 AMSuper Mario Kart - Choose Your Driver
- Have you considered raising the RH an octave? I think it would sound a lot more natural that way, as these dense chords sound kind of muddy down there.
- Is there any difference between the first and second 4 measures? It looks like this could just be written as a 4 measure loop.

Also friendly reminder to host your files in the shared Dropbox folder :)
- Usually I would agree, but the original piece is very bassy and just as muddy-sounding. I wanted to keep the same sound in the piano version.
- The in-game loop is 8 measures (there's a drum fill in m8). For a piano version, it doesn't necessarily have to be 8 measures but I wanted to keep it the same length as the actual loop.

Also everything has been shared now.

Static

New SMK sheet.

Super Mario Kart - Title Screen[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]

Static

Lots of Final Fantasy V today. Melty Molten Galaxy has also been added since I forgot to add it earlier.

Final Fantasy V - Main Theme of FINAL FANTASY V[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Sealed Away (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Cursed Lands (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Close Call (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Library of Ancients (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]

Static

Another replacement today, this time from FFIV.

Final Fantasy IV - Another Moon[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]

Static

A couple more today:

Final Fantasy V - Battle 2[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
New Super Mario Bros. - Toad House[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]

Static

The last FFV battle theme replacement:

Final Fantasy V - The Decisive Battle[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]

Due to the already massive number of replacements in this update already, I will probably be shifting my focus to only Final Fantasy V, rather than the entire series. I won't be doing the Ending Theme, however, at least not now.

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2020, 09:39:47 AMSuper Mario Kart - Choose Your Driver
Quote from: Static on June 01, 2020, 01:35:58 PM- Usually I would agree, but the original piece is very bassy and just as muddy-sounding. I wanted to keep the same sound in the piano version.
- The in-game loop is 8 measures (there's a drum fill in m8). For a piano version, it doesn't necessarily have to be 8 measures but I wanted to keep it the same length as the actual loop.
Got it. Both make sense!

Approving both the above and "Toad House" from NSMB.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

The last Final Fantasy V sheets are here at last! These will actually be my last replacements for the update, since the next few days will be a bit busy for me.

Final Fantasy V - Hurry! Hurry! (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Spreading Grand Wings[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - The Evil Lord Exdeath[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Exdeath's Castle[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - A New World[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]
Final Fantasy V - Sealed Book (Edit)[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF] [Original]

mastersuperfan

Toad House - NSMB
(ok this track hurts my ears)
- Maybe add staccatos on the triplets?
- I would personally prefer a clef change in m5 LH (upper ledger lines in bass clef are the ones I'm least used to), but you may disagree.
- Minor nitpick but the dynamics and crescendos aren't all vertically aligned within each system from m15-21.
- The RH in the last measure looks really odd to me because the Layer 1 rests are hidden, the Layer 2 stems are beamed upward, and Layer 1 has a quarter note. It doesn't clearly distinguish the two layers, so at first glance, it looks like the second note in Layer 2 might fall on beat 2 instead of beat 1.5. I would suggest turning Layer 1 into an eighth note instead of a quarter note (either that, or show the rests in Layer 1).

Choose Your Driver - SMK
- Only thing I'm wondering is... why is everything scaled so small?

Hell Prominence - SMG
(furioso and fortississimo lol)
- You could add something like an "etc." to the 8vb at the beginning so that it's clear it lasts for the whole page.
- m67 RH beat 3, I think the staccatos would look better below the noteheads.
- RH beat 1 of m18/20 (and all future instances of this pattern) sound like this to me:

- The notes in m49-50 and m53 get uncomfortably close to one another. Is there a way to adjust the spacing on that page to give those systems some more breathing room? That might require either having uneven spacing between systems, or pushing a system onto another page. If you don't like either of those options, it's fine as is.
- How do you intend m54/58/62/65 RH to be played? There's a held note in Layer 1 and staccato'd notes in Layer 2 that re-articulated the held note. I would clarify whether you want the re-articulations to be staccato or remain held.
- Very minor, but you could move the "poco a poco cresc." in m61 to the right so that it doesn't jut out past the left edge of the notes.

Battle at the Big Bridge - FFV
Wow this sheet is great except it looks like an absolute monster to play. I have nothing to say about the notes, so just a couple of small formatting/positioning things from me:
- The first system on each page is a bit close to the header/page number and could probably be moved down a bit.
- The mordents in m15/47/55 are very nearly touching the stems/noteheads and could be moved up a bit.
- You have mf in both m17 and m18. Maybe parenthesize the one in m18?
- The natural sign on the En in m31 RH could be moved right very slightly so that it's not almost touching the dot.
- Some ties look very squished (m30/31/34/36). It might be worth manually extending them a little bit?
- The crescendos in m51/53 don't extend through the fourth chord like they do in m50/52.
- (Is the measure distribution in the MUSX different from the PDF, or is v26 just being weird with importing again? I'm seeing four measures in the second-to-last system and two measures in the last system in the MUSX.)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Title Screen - Super Mario Kart
Really good job with getting all the harmonies for this one, just like others in the OST... Really don't have anything to complain about, just a tiny couple of things to mention:
- The forte in m. 4 is slightly not aligned with the cresc before it
- I think the upper layer E in m. 17 is pretty distracting... do you feel strongly about keeping it?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Sonny & Don Resetti
Notes look great (also thanks for your explanation on what this is replacing), just a couple of things:
- I think it would be nicer to put the "knock on piano" under the top staff - it looks kinda squished alongside the track title and tempo (and also looks like it's related to them in some way).
- dynamics

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Toad House - NSMB
  • Done.
  • I feel exactly the opposite, as a trombone player. It only goes up for that one measure anyway, so I think I'll keep it as is.
  • I want to align them, but that requires respacing the staves and it's just a headache that isn't worth it in my opinion. I just want to make sure no dynamics or (de)crescendos are too close to any of the notes or other markings.
  • Fixed.
  • I also moved the page numbers/copyright info/page title within the margins, since they were outside before.

Choose Your Driver - SMK
  • I made everything a bit larger.

Hell Prominence - SMG
  • Done.
  • Good catch, layer 2 is hidden there too.
  • Fixed.
  • Also fixed. I adjusted the spacing on just that page.
  • Articulations should be staccato still; the first layer note is a dotted quarter in case whoever reads the sheet wants to split the parts between instruments or something. However, thinking about it again, it would make more sense to just make them quarter notes. I'm not sure what you mean about m65, though.
  • Fixed.

Battle at the Big Bridge - FFV
  • Fixed.
  • Fixed.
  • You don't have to parenthesize a dynamic when it's in repeated section, because the previous dynamic on the repeat is the ff from m54. I usually parenthesize dynamics if there's a long rest between 2 sections, or if a piece goes on for a long time at a the same dynamic level and there's a new section, or if the repeated section does not have any dynamic changes.
  • Fixed.
  • Extended.
  • Fixed.
  • Should be 3+4 in systems 23-24. PDF is the correct one.

Title Screen - SMK
  • Aligned.
  • Yes, it's played by the same instrument in the same channel, so I can only assume it's part of the melody.

Sonny & Don Resetti - Animal Crossing
  • Fixed. I also moved the systems down and the staves closer together, so that the tempo marking aligns with the time signature, as well as moving the copyright info so it's within the margins.
  • Added.
  • I decided to change the name to simply "Resetti Themes", since the individual names of each Resetti are not entirely well-known to most people.