News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Yug Guy's Replacements

Started by Yug_Guy, May 30, 2020, 07:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yug_Guy

Crystalis [NES]
The Great PyramidMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal
TownMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal

Donkey Kong Country [SNES]
Bonus Game Victory / Boss Defeated JingleMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal
Funky's FugueMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal

Earthworm Jim [GEN]
ButtvilleMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal

Final Fantasy IV [SNES]
Battle 2MUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal

Goldeneye 007 [N64]
Opening ThemeMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal
Watch (Pause Screen)MUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal

Mach Rider [NES]
Main BGM 1MUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal

Secret of Mana [SNES]
The Color of the Summer SkyMUSMUSXKvX4z1]MIDIPDFOriginal

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 [GEN]
Endless MineMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal

Yug_Guy

Update: added a bunch of my existing arrangements to both this thread & the Dropbox folder.

Yug_Guy

I added two brand-new replacements to my list:

Goldeneye 007 [N64]
Opening ThemeMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal
Watch (Pause Screen)MUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal

The Goldeneye sheets are in a sorry state right now, so I figured I'd help it out a little bit. Who know, I might do more in the future.

Also added Funky's Fugue (the last replacement I had already done). I know something needs to be changed on the sheet, but I certainly couldn't tell you what that is.

And, unfortunately, it looks like these will be my last contributions before the deadline. I look forward to seeing what you guys have in store!

Static

Battle 2 - FFIV
  • wow you did it my favorite super mario rpg song
  • I think this is just a personal thing, but for the top layer in m5, I'd write that as an 8th note tied to a dotted half so it lines up visually with the bottom layer. It's fine as is though.
  • A courtesy Bb in m9 might be nice.
  • m13: The trumpet is playing the main melody here, so I would probably give that a higher priority than the string part; beat 1 should be a quarter note C (but keep the F#-G underneath in layer 2).
  • The 8th notes on beat 2 and 4 of m13-14 RH should be staccato.
  • Feel free to add more notes to layer 2 of m16-19 to fill out the chords a bit.
  • m21 tie should be flipped up. (well technically I guess it shouldn't be but it looks nicer)
  • Use the tie tool to flip the tie at the beginning of m25.
  • All of the Bs in m34-35 should be Cs. There should also be Ds right above all the Cs.

Latios212

Town (Crystalis)
One main thing about this one. In some of the measures that play C in the bass on beat 1 you've written in G instead - m. 1, 5, 17, 20, 21. I get the want to use a different note in the chord to preserve the sense of motion in the left hand pattern, but I think this results in a somewhat odd sound as the G bass implies that the song wants to resolve to C in the next measure. The original does this in measure 4 - C chord with G in the bass that resolves to a C in measure 5. The measures I mentioned have that sort of unfulfilled expectation - they really should emphasize the tonic instead. My suggestion would be to simply write in a C on beat 1 even if it is repeated on beat 1.5. Your choice though, just thought I'd point that out.

The other small things:
  • C's in LH of m. 7 beats 3.5/4.5 should be B's instead
  • Maybe wanna include the beat 4 eighth notes in m. 8?
  • The three eighth notes figure at the end of m. 15/17/21/22 would be better written having the first disconnected from the last two.
  • I think you should use the G-F-D descending figure at the end of m. 16
  • I'm not seeing a double barline at m. 16, though that might just be Finale weirdness
  • You could probably move the arranged info just a teensy bit up closer to the composer info and move the systems slightly closer together to make more room for the copyright
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on June 14, 2020, 12:32:53 PMBattle 2 - FFIV
I did all the fixes in separate sessions, so apologies if I missed something

Quote from: Static on June 14, 2020, 12:32:53 PM
  • Use the tie tool to flip the tie at the beginning of m25.
For whatever reason, Finale refuses to flip it. Can someone help me out here?

Quote from: Latios212 on June 15, 2020, 08:09:11 PMTown (Crystalis)
~snip~
I only did this to replace the song, I have no emotional attachment to it, or the arrangement, so all your suggestions are A-OK.

Latios212

Town - Crystalis
Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 19, 2020, 05:54:24 PMI only did this to replace the song, I have no emotional attachment to it, or the arrangement, so all your suggestions are A-OK.
:'(
haha looks good. Last note in m. 16 is a D instead of an E which I fixed. Approved!

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 19, 2020, 05:54:24 PMFor whatever reason, Finale refuses to flip it. Can someone help me out here?
Fixed it. For reference you should be seeing something like this when using the tie tool:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 19, 2020, 05:54:24 PMI did all the fixes in separate sessions, so apologies if I missed something
  • Sorry, I was unclear about the 8th notes in m13-14 RH; they should all be staccato (beats 2, 2.5, 4, 4.5).
  • Also, in m13, I meant that the first layer should be just a quarter note C on beat 1, since that is the melody (trumpet). There is a C on beat 1.5 as well in the strings but I think having both the D-C 8th notes and the C quarter note sounds a bit weird. Since the 2nd layer is only on beat 1, you can flip the staccatos on beats 2-4.
  • In m33 you can also hide the half rest if you want, then flip the bottom 2 ties down.. If the tie tool doesn't work again I can get that for you.
  • And one last thing, you can move all the systems on page 2 down. The top one looks very close to the title/page number, and there is a lot of empty space on the bottom.
All the other changes look good.

Static

Color of the Summer Sky
  • The string part (LH layer 2) is a bit more complicated in the original, but I think what you have is a good simplification; the LH is already pretty busy. However, based on what you have, some of the notes are incorrect. Basically, starting in m5-6, layer 2 should always be half note dyads F-A, G-Bb, A-C, G-Bb. Here's an example for how I'd change it:

The main thing is to avoid doubling notes in a lower octave, since it'll sound more muddy. The melody has some of the harmony notes in it, so you don't need to always include both notes in layer 2. In places like m11-12, I think it would sound fine moving those notes up an octave, except for the first one so the melody note is the most prominent at first.
  • In m29, 31, 33, and 35 beat 2.5 RH, the dyad should be F-A, not A-C.
  • Pedaling is not really implied just from reading m29-36, maybe you could add that. I'm guessing you didn't include it bc you don't want the RH pedaled, so in that case it's fine as is.
  • By adjusting the spacing between staves (except in m5-28), you can pretty comfortably fit everything on 2 pages with even 4 measure distribution (I recommend 4 systems on page 1 and 5 on page 2).
  • Titles and page numbers should be inside the margins.
Thanks for replacing this one, the current sheet we have sounds almost nothing like the original song...

Yug_Guy

Sorry for the wait on this one, I'll try and stay more on top of these.

Quote from: Static on June 19, 2020, 11:24:49 PM
  • In m33 you can also hide the half rest if you want, then flip the bottom 2 ties down.. If the tie tool doesn't work again I can get that for you.
I tried working with the tie tool, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it & Finale's online documentation didn't help. I would appreciate it if you could help me with this.

Quote from: Static on June 23, 2020, 01:14:56 PMColor of the Summer Sky
  • The string part (LH layer 2) is a bit more complicated in the original, but I think what you have is a good simplification; the LH is already pretty busy. However, based on what you have, some of the notes are incorrect. Basically, starting in m5-6, layer 2 should always be half note dyads F-A, G-Bb, A-C, G-Bb. Here's an example for how I'd change it:

~snip~

The main thing is to avoid doubling notes in a lower octave, since it'll sound more muddy. The melody has some of the harmony notes in it, so you don't need to always include both notes in layer 2. In places like m11-12, I think it would sound fine moving those notes up an octave, except for the first one so the melody note is the most prominent at first.
I tried my best with this, let me know what you think.

Quote from: Static on June 23, 2020, 01:14:56 PM
  • Pedaling is not really implied just from reading m29-36, maybe you could add that. I'm guessing you didn't include it bc you don't want the RH pedaled, so in that case it's fine as is.
Actually, pedal makes a lot of sense here. Added.

Latios212

Funky's Fugue

Really nice! This is a really weird song to write on piano... but your sheets gets the job done and it's pretty easy for a performer to improvise something for themselves too.

Only have a few aesthetic comments:
- Move things up on page 1 a bit so the copyright isn't so close to the bottom
- I'd suggest lowering the lower layer RH rests a bit to be more aligned with the part - the height they're at now sometimes almost crosses into where the upper layer notes are
- New dynamic (f) for m. 25+?
- The melody attacks in m. 25+ seem pretty pointed, I'd suggest not extending them to fill up the measure (dotted quarter notes, and the tied notes). Also not sure if beat 2 in the last measure is intentionally an eighth note?
- Composer/arranger info are a bit far apart

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on July 09, 2020, 04:27:03 PM- Move things up on page 1 a bit so the copyright isn't so close to the bottom
- I'd suggest lowering the lower layer RH rests a bit to be more aligned with the part - the height they're at now sometimes almost crosses into where the upper layer notes are
- New dynamic (f) for m. 25+?
- The melody attacks in m. 25+ seem pretty pointed, I'd suggest not extending them to fill up the measure (dotted quarter notes, and the tied notes). Also not sure if beat 2 in the last measure is intentionally an eighth note?
- Composer/arranger info are a bit far apart
All fixed.

Latios212

Funky's Fugue
Great! Approved :)

Mach Rider - Race Theme 01
- Any reason the melody in the beginning is raised an octave?
- Last bass note in m. 6 should be F instead of Ab
- Looks like bars 9-16 could use repeats around them (and a DC) instead of writing out two more systems, allowing you to space out the music a bit more.
- I don't think the notes should be tied between m. 13/14 and 15/16
- There are a few notes in particular that sound like they should be staccato - in the RH m. 2/6 beat 1, m. 4 beat 2, the B naturals in m. 7
- https

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Yug_Guy on July 05, 2020, 12:22:59 PMI tried working with the tie tool, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it & Finale's online documentation didn't help. I would appreciate it if you could help me with this.
Got it. And with that I approve.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on July 05, 2020, 12:22:59 PMI tried my best with this, let me know what you think.
Looks good, I would just edit m21-22 and 25-26 to match with 23-24 and 27-28. That's all I got for this one, looks great.

Maelstrom

Town (Crystalis)
Literally nothing to say about this. Looks nice and plays as nice as a bland composition like this can.
accepted

Funky's Fugue
Probably just a C+P error, but the bassline is different b3 of m28 and the like. I hear a D for all 3 notes, just for that beat. This is true for all similar measures.
I think there's a 4th hi in the last measure ......
Does the "play an octave lower than written" apply to both hands? It's not mentioned as such, even if playback is that way. I'd recommend adding a bit of text to clarify your intention (both hands or LH)
A few of the woos are a bit too close to the accents for comfort. Not sure if that's easily fixable, but I do see it as an issue.
Those aside, this looks fantastic. The original is pretty cool; never actually heard this song before.

Battle 2 (FFIV)
Just one thing here - can you flip the 2nd layer tie in m26? It's colliding with the accent.