News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Latios212's Replacements

Started by Latios212, May 31, 2020, 01:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

mastersuperfan

Oldale Town - Pokémon RSE
- RH and LH stems are too close together in m3. Move the staves farther apart?
- Second half of m8 LH is a bit of an abrupt halt in momentum. If not an eighth note rhythm, then maybe at least a quarter note on beat 4?
- This is what I'm now hearing for m12 (if you do this, you would also need to space out the staves a bit more):

- m13-14 RH beat 4.5 don't sound staccato. (Do the staccatos make a difference with pedal anyway?)
- 8va's kind of close to the notes in the last system.

Quote from: Latios212 on December 16, 2020, 07:18:13 PM- If I'm listening for the right thing, they're so faint I can barely make them out... mind if I leave that part as is?
They stick out pretty prominently to me, but if you want to leave them out then that's also fine.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 20, 2020, 11:33:23 PM- RH and LH stems are too close together in m3. Move the staves farther apart?
I flipped the LH part down instead

Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 20, 2020, 11:33:23 PM- m13-14 RH beat 4.5 don't sound staccato. (Do the staccatos make a difference with pedal anyway?)
Ah you're right, I slurred them instead. With pedal, maybe not too noticeably but the intent is there that those notes are meant to be lighter. The performer can also choose to lift the pedal there

Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 20, 2020, 11:33:23 PMThey stick out pretty prominently to me, but if you want to leave them out then that's also fine.
Yeah, I'll leave them out :)

Got the rest, thanks!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

New Bark Town

Sorry about having this one sit for so long, it needed a bit of TLC. I've updated a bunch of things based on Maelstrom's and MSF's posts. Responses in blue here:

Quote from: Maelstrom on December 15, 2020, 01:47:50 PMNew Bark Town
-m12 b4 - Isn't this a C# here? Yes, oops
-m18 RH 2nd layer - B1 is a G#, b2 is a D, b3 is an octave higher but i understand playability. Not sure I follow this one
-What voice is the LH following in m6? I can't seem to hear those notes anywhere.... Everything after beat 1 is taken verbatim from a line that exists there (except b 1.5 is lowered for better continuity)
-m9 LH is equally confusing. It has beat 3 from the middle voice, but not the F# from b2. It has the motion from the bass in 3.5-end, but I can't tell where the notes are coming from because there's some unplayable microtone stuff happening with the bass guitar here. Adjusted this also based on MSF's comments
more LH:
-m10 - b3 is a B, b4 is the A# Think you mean G# for b4, but yep
-m21 -  Should the G be an octave higher? Don't think so...
-m28 - b2/2.5 is a d->d#. This measure is weird because it's pulling from voices I don't feel are as prominent. I guess this one could go either way but it sounds weird without both of the voices here. Adjusted this line also based on MSF's comments

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 21, 2020, 05:02:15 PMNew Bark Town - Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver - There is a lot more going on this track than I realized, especially between the left and right ears... Yeahhh
- "Laid-back" should be hyphenated. I honestly had no idea lol
- I'm not sure I hear the additional C# on beat 3 of m4 RH. However, I do hear a G below the E on beat 3 (which would probably be easier to play with the LH instead of the RH). Sounds good
- The lower notes in m9 RH sound like they play in quarter notes: D-B-A-G. I think omitting the B is fine so as not to repeat the B in the melody, but I would include the G on beat 4. Included beat 4, yep
- I'm getting something different for the bassline in m9-10:
Yep
- I don't hear any of the lower RH notes in m10 in any of the voices. Are they improvised notes? They were but I reverted them to what's' in the original
- In m11 RH, the strings (starting on beat 2) go G(quarter)-B(dotted quarter)-D(eighth), instead of G(quarter)-B(quarter)-A(quarter), or is the A at the end also improvised? I would still use the dotted quarter-eighth rhythm in Layer 2 because nearly every voice in the original does that as well. Updated
- LH beat 1 of m12 sounds like a low E instead of an A. Got that
- I also hear an E on RH beat 3 of m13. Not sure about that, or if it is there I don't hear it as prominently as the D>C# movement
- In m17 RH Layer 2, you might consider transposing beats 2 and 3 up an octave to preserve the downward F#-D-C# pattern from the original. I think you meant m. 18, and yes
- I'm assuming you transposed the bassline up one octave in m18-20 so that the LH could also play the chords, but I would suggest at least transposing the E on beat 1 of m18 back down an octave to preserve the downward motion of the D#-B-E pattern that starts at the end of m17. Sounds good
- The chord at the beginning of m20 also has a G in it. The RH chord on beat 3 also has a G right below the high A, but I can understand leaving that one out since the dissonance on the piano is harsher there. Added for the LH
- You could also add grace notes leading to beat 3 of m20 RH (grace notes D-E-G). Added
- In m25, I hear a B in the chord, but no C, so I think it would be better to make the first Layer 2 note a B instead. If you meant m. 26, then yes
- It took me some time to figure out which line you were transcribing in m28. I think it would be better to transcribe this more prominent line into the LH instead (see below). The piano line you have right now could also be written into the RH (in its original octave), but I'm not sure if the two lines together would sound good on piano.
Haha it took me a bit to re-find this voice. I don't think either one is super prominent so I was struggling to write this part in my original attempt. What you suggest sounds good, except I'd like to change beat 1.5 to a G (like the other layer) so the LH doesn't sound so empty playing A-A and outlines the A7 chord instead.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Latios212 on February 10, 2021, 05:57:15 PMNew Bark Town

Sorry about having this one sit for so long, it needed a bit of TLC. I've updated a bunch of things based on Maelstrom's and MSF's posts. Responses in blue here:

- You may or may not consider adding some courtesy accidentals (Gn's in m3/m11, Dn in m18).
- Beat 1 of m15 doesn't sound rolled to me.
- Maybe add something more in the second half of m20? That chord on beat 3 feels a little too open/empty to me, even with beat 1 sustained. Maybe add a G at the bottom of the RH on beat 3, or an E in the middle of the RH on beat 3, or some other note.
- Layer 2 rest on beat 4 of m26 is pretty close to Layer 1; I'd move it down one notch.

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on February 13, 2021, 12:15:12 PM- You may or may not consider adding some courtesy accidentals (Gn's in m3/m11, Dn in m18).
Eh, I think I'd rather not. Measure 3 already implies Gn by the Bb above it, and for the other couple measures there's enough space in between the notes that I think it won't be misread.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on February 13, 2021, 12:15:12 PM- Maybe add something more in the second half of m20? That chord on beat 3 feels a little too open/empty to me, even with beat 1 sustained. Maybe add a G at the bottom of the RH on beat 3, or an E in the middle of the RH on beat 3, or some other note.
I'd prefer to keep it like this as a way of more gradually thinning out the texture going into m. 21.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on February 13, 2021, 12:15:12 PM- Beat 1 of m15 doesn't sound rolled to me.
- Layer 2 rest on beat 4 of m26 is pretty close to Layer 1; I'd move it down one notch.
Got these things!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Latios212 on February 13, 2021, 02:27:29 PMEh, I think I'd rather not. Measure 3 already implies Gn by the Bb above it, and for the other couple measures there's enough space in between the notes that I think it won't be misread.
I'd prefer to keep it like this as a way of more gradually thinning out the texture going into m. 21.
Got these things!

Okay, looks great!

Although, uh, now that I see it, you might also consider moving the m3 Layer 2 beat 1 rest up one more notch too...?

Latios212

Eh I think that one's okay as is... since the following note is lower and across the staff.

Thanks for checking! :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Static

Because I Love You
  • m3-4, 19-20 LH beats 3.5 and 4.5 should be D
  • You can flip the first 3 notes in m27 Layer 2 if you want, since the rest is hidden.

Latios212

Got those bass notes (I think I might have altered them to fit the chord, but I didn't do that anywhere else so I agree I'll just stick to the bassline here).

For m. 27, I'd prefer to just show the rests instead.

Thanks for checking! Made those changes.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on February 24, 2021, 04:36:05 PMGot those bass notes (I think I might have altered them to fit the chord, but I didn't do that anywhere else so I agree I'll just stick to the bassline here).

For m. 27, I'd prefer to just show the rests instead.

Thanks for checking! Made those changes.
Looks good

will be archiving this thread now