News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Latios212's Replacements

Started by Latios212, May 31, 2020, 01:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

Thanks for checking!

Quote from: Maelstrom on November 29, 2020, 12:13:42 PMBecause I love you
-LH m2 b4 - I hear the D as a restrike, not a tie

Otherwise, it's fantastic.
Ah, yep. Fixed that.

Quote from: Maelstrom on November 29, 2020, 12:13:42 PMPostman's Theme
I suggest this for the first 2 measures because I think there's too many notes in the first measure's chords and I hear the 16th swing in m2.
For the chords, they sound a bit fuller/more dissonant to me than just open tritones. Took out the G but I'd like to leave the Dn if that sounds alright. Also wasn't too sure about the swing in m. 2 but it makes sense; added.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Oops, forgot to reply to this as well...

Quote from: mastersuperfan on November 27, 2020, 05:00:37 PMThe Girl Who Stole the Stars
Very nice.
- There should only be three grace notes before m1 RH beat 3: there is no F, just Db-Eb-Ab.
- I hear an Ab above the Bb in the LH on beat 1 of m5 and m9.
- How do you feel about flipping beat 4 of m15 RH down? It's true that Layer 2 is still present there, but IMO it just looks really weird to see beat 4 flipped up and then beat 1 of m16 flipped down immediately following.
Yep, agree with all three points. File updated~

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Quote from: Latios212 on December 02, 2020, 04:30:03 PMThanks for checking!
No problem. Both Postman's Theme and Because I Love You are approved

Static

Super Mario Land 2 - Map
  • I don't think you necessarily need to include the key change, but it's fine with or without. I approve.

Super Mario Land 2 - Overworld
  • Out of curiousity, where did you get this title from? I most commonly see "Treetop" as the title for this track.
  • Everything else looks good

Maelstrom

The Girl who Stole the Stars
m1 b1 LH - I hear an A above the Bb, like m5.

That's all, nice work.

Maelstrom

Overworld map
Nothing to say here except that there is nothing to say here.
Accepted

New Bark Town
-m12 b4 - Isn't this a C# here?
-m18 RH 2nd layer - B1 is a G#, b2 is a D, b3 is an octave higher but i understand playability.
-What voice is the LH following in m6? I can't seem to hear those notes anywhere....
-m9 LH is equally confusing. It has beat 3 from the middle voice, but not the F# from b2. It has the motion from the bass in 3.5-end, but I can't tell where the notes are coming from because there's some unplayable microtone stuff happening with the bass guitar here.
more LH:
-m10 - b3 is a B, b4 is the A#
-m21 -  Should the G be an octave higher?
-m28 - b2/2.5 is a d->d#. This measure is weird because it's pulling from voices I don't feel are as prominent. I guess this one could go either way but it sounds weird without both of the voices here.

Oldale Town
m9 RH:

There's pedal so it wouldn't be hard to rolle the first one at least.
m10 RH - b3-4 2nd layer has a Bb->Bn thing going on here above the f->d

Not sure how I feel about the bassline in m10-11. It just doesn't feel like the original's chord progressions are replicated, but this song makes it hard to follow voices sometimes. Maybe add in a 5th harmony to b3-4 of m10 for the horns? I'm not totally sure I understand what you're doing in m11. After the 3rd you have on b3.5 doesn't play there. Instead it's on beat 3 and the C is a Bn. I hear the final beat of m11 as a G lower than the F# that's there now. 

Latios212

Quote from: Maelstrom on December 15, 2020, 12:44:12 PMThe Girl who Stole the Stars
m1 b1 LH - I hear an A above the Bb, like m5.

That's all, nice work.
Ah yep, you're right. Thanks, got it

Quote from: Static on December 15, 2020, 12:17:46 PMSuper Mario Land 2 - Overworld
  • Out of curiousity, where did you get this title from? I most commonly see "Treetop" as the title for this track.
  • Everything else looks good
I don't remember lol, maybe the current sheet on site. Both the GilvaSunner playlist and this source say Treetop, which I agree with. Updated.

Quote from: Static on December 15, 2020, 12:17:46 PMSuper Mario Land 2 - Map
  • I don't think you necessarily need to include the key change, but it's fine with or without. I approve.
Quote from: Maelstrom on December 15, 2020, 01:47:50 PMOverworld map
Nothing to say here except that there is nothing to say here.
Accepted
Thanks guys (yes I'd like to keep the key change to make it more easily apparent that it's an exact transposition). I also updated the title to "Overworld Map" in accordance with the SML2 soundtrack listings provided above.

I'll get the the Pokémon ones soon. Apologies for not getting to MSF's original feedback yet either ><

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

The Girl who Stole the Stars
accepted

Libera

Both of the TP sheets look really clean.  I've got just a couple of small things to say.

Sanctuary

-I feel like the Cn in bar 4 should be a B# like in bar 2.  It's got the same sort of implied harmony (viewing the A as like an appogiatura or w/e).
-The G# on beat 1 of bar 6 sounds like it should be tied to the previous G#, like you did in bars 7-8.

Postman's Theme

The only comment I have is one the wacky chords in bar 1.  It's kind of hard for me to tell whether the En is an En or an Eb (its quite quiet and maybe a little out of tune), but I definitely can't hear a Dn.  I can however hear an An below the top Bb.

Latios212

Thanks for looking!

Quote from: Libera on December 15, 2020, 04:04:06 PMSanctuary

-I feel like the Cn in bar 4 should be a B# like in bar 2.  It's got the same sort of implied harmony (viewing the A as like an appogiatura or w/e).
-The G# on beat 1 of bar 6 sounds like it should be tied to the previous G#, like you did in bars 7-8.
- Hmm, I actually looked at that a few days ago and thought it made more sense as a C# because of:
    - making a major sixth with the A in the right hand instead of a diminished seventh
    - descending chromatically C# > Cn > B.
That said, I'm using the key of C#m so B# does make more sense, and I could see the implied harmony utilizing a diminished chord here. I've changed it to B#.
- Yep, I thought it made more sense consistent with the rest of the (not last) measures but there isn't a pause there like the others so I've added the tie.

Quote from: Libera on December 15, 2020, 04:04:06 PMPostman's Theme

The only comment I have is one the wacky chords in bar 1.  It's kind of hard for me to tell whether the En is an En or an Eb (its quite quiet and maybe a little out of tune), but I definitely can't hear a Dn.  I can however hear an An below the top Bb.
Hmm, I feel like I hear the D although the tone hovers a bit hear Eb - but the major second between the D and E feels appropriate, testing on the piano. I can kinda hear the upper An there but I think that's a bit too dissonant, distracting from the Bb and pulling the sound towards that of a major seventh between the bottom Bb and upper An.

Anyway this is one of those cases where I think it's best to approximate the feel of the original chord, given a first pass at what the tones are. I feel what I wrote is the right level of dissonant and a good representation of the original's quirky sound that isn't too jarring, but let me know if you disagree.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Sanctuary

Quote from: Latios212 on December 15, 2020, 04:36:45 PM- making a major sixth with the A in the right hand instead of a diminished seventh

Just to be clear my reasoning is that this way you get the A resolving down to give the implied dominant harmony (mirroring bar 2).  With the Cn the bar ends with Cn G# which makes less sense to me in the context of the rest of the piece (whereas with the equally confusing B# A you can view that as resolving down to B# G#.)  At any rate, it looks good and I'll accept!

Postman's Theme

Quote from: Latios212 on December 15, 2020, 04:36:45 PMAnyway this is one of those cases where I think it's best to approximate the feel of the original chord, given a first pass at what the tones are. I feel what I wrote is the right level of dissonant and a good representation of the original's quirky sound that isn't too jarring, but let me know if you disagree.

I think when listening to the arrangement the chord immediately stood out to me as off in some way and I think it's because its missing that really distinctive minor 2nd at the top.  I agree that it's probably not super important to have all of the details 100% correct (and then perhaps extremely awkward), but the chord currently doesn't feel right to me.  Those are my feelings on it anyway.

Static

Treetop
- Looks great, I'll be approving this one

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on December 15, 2020, 04:58:06 PMPostman's Theme

I think when listening to the arrangement the chord immediately stood out to me as off in some way and I think it's because its missing that really distinctive minor 2nd at the top.  I agree that it's probably not super important to have all of the details 100% correct (and then perhaps extremely awkward), but the chord currently doesn't feel right to me.  Those are my feelings on it anyway.
Sure thing, I'll change it in that case :P I've replaced the Dn with An.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 23, 2020, 07:36:00 PMOldale Town
Nice and simple, not much to say here.
- Wow those strings in m4 are really faint. Honestly, if I were arranging this I'm not sure I would've included them at all. You might consider tranposing m4 RH an octave down to separate it from the main melody in m5, but that would also create a fairly big leap between m4 and m5.
- The second half of m11 sounds out of place with the LH playing the dyad on beat 3.5 instead of beat 4. Is there a way to rewrite it so it plays the dyad at its peak on beat 4 like all the other instances?
- In m12 LH, there's a C above the A's and a D above the C. Were they omitted intentionally?
- In m13-14 LH, the arpeggios go back down for a few notes after reaching the peak. You might consider writing those in as well.
Sorry again for neglecting this post for so long...
- Honestly that's where my ear always goes when listening to the original, so definitely wanted to write it in :P I don't mind lowering it.
- I'll rewrite m. 11 beats 3-4 to be more idiomatic of the rest of the piece and outline an Eb major chord.
- I hear C's above the A's but beat 2.5 sounds to me now like Bb-C...
- If I'm listening for the right thing, they're so faint I can barely make them out... mind if I leave that part as is?

Quote from: Maelstrom on December 15, 2020, 01:47:50 PMOldale Town
m9 RH:

There's pedal so it wouldn't be hard to rolle the first one at least.
m10 RH - b3-4 2nd layer has a Bb->Bn thing going on here above the f->d

Not sure how I feel about the bassline in m10-11. It just doesn't feel like the original's chord progressions are replicated, but this song makes it hard to follow voices sometimes. Maybe add in a 5th harmony to b3-4 of m10 for the horns? I'm not totally sure I understand what you're doing in m11. After the 3rd you have on b3.5 doesn't play there. Instead it's on beat 3 and the C is a Bn. I hear the final beat of m11 as a G lower than the F# that's there now.
- I would prefer to keep the melody as single notes there - the very high voice stands out quite a bit (and I don't really have consecutive harmony notes under the melody anywhere else)
- I'll add a fifth to m. 10 beat 3, but not beat 4 - otherwise the bassiness would contrast a bit too much with the start of m. 11.
- For m. 11 I wrote beats 3-4 to outline an Eb chord (also according to MSF's comments). Changed beat 4.5 to a G.

Sorry those few measures were kinda rough, I wasn't initially sure what to do with them. I've updated the file - hopefully it looks better but feel free to suggest further adjustments. Thanks!

New Bark Town will take me a little longer, I'll get to that in hopefully another couple days (edit: probably later next week...)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Treetop
Accepted

Oldale Town
Approved by me. I can't think of a better way to write m9-11 without making it unplayable (like dropping b2.5 of m9 an octave). I think it sufficiently captures the feel of the original.

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on December 16, 2020, 07:18:13 PMSure thing, I'll change it in that case :P I've replaced the Dn with An.

Awesome, sounds much better now!  Accepted!