News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Latios212's Replacements

Started by Latios212, May 31, 2020, 01:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Nice, accepting File Select and Overture
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on August 21, 2020, 04:45:19 PM- Sometimes I prefer showing the downbeat like that with swing pieces because I think it's a little easier to read.
Also, looking at this again, I added slurs to the pairs of dyads that aren't part of the main melody.
Sounds good, approved.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 21, 2020, 04:45:19 PM- Yep, that makes sense to me. Added a courtesy natural on the following E in m. 4 accordingly.
- That's how I would play it, but I get how it looks confusing on paper. Moved it to the LH.
Also approved.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 21, 2020, 04:45:19 PMI kinda wanted to just have everything be eighth notes, but looking again it makes sense to do what you suggested. Updated that.
Accepted.

Maelstrom

Mabe Village
I really feel strong disconnect between the set of 3 quarters in m1 and m5. Maybe make them dotted tenutos?

Picori Festival
approved

edit:
Let's Try
Notes look fine, but can we not have EngraverFont? It looks bloated and unprofessional.

defaults bad

bottom text

Latios212

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 22, 2020, 05:22:56 PMMabe Village
I really feel strong disconnect between the set of 3 quarters in m1 and m5. Maybe make them dotted tenutos?
Sure, that sounds good

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 22, 2020, 05:22:56 PMLet's Try
Notes look fine, but can we not have EngraverFont? It looks bloated and unprofessional.
Yeah, this is a rather old sheet of mine. I pasted it into my recent template.

Files updated, thanks for checking! :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 22, 2020, 05:22:56 PMNotes look fine, but can we not have EngraverFont? It looks bloated and unprofessional.
I don't use it a lot anymore for more rhythmically complex sheets, but I think sometimes it can look better than Maestro. Everything in Maestro is just really small to me. For this particular sheet I don't think it's a big deal either way.

Maelstrom

For me it's partly the size, and partly that defaults honestly tend to look a bit lazy and unprofessional, especially old defaults. Whether lat changes it or not is up to him, but I personally greatly prefer alternatives to engraverfont.

Also the fact that it was because it was an older sheet and not a conscious choice that I brought it up.

Maelstrom

Both Mabe Village and Let's Try are accepted

Static

Picori Festival
- You might want to include those grace notes in the melody in m1-3.
- The accompaniment part in the original has this kind of airy, old fashioned dance feel to it because it's mostly just open 5ths; in contrast the accompaniment you have gives the song more of a "piano étude feel" (idk how else to really describe it) with the 3rds included. I think it sounds too heavy. You don't need to get rid of all the harmony, but removing the 3rds in the LH whenever there are triads sounds closer to the original to my ears. The RH usually has the 3rd anyway, and when it doesn't the 3rd is easily implied due to the relatively simple chord progressions.

Other than that, looks really nice

Latios212

Thanks!
- I'd rather not include the grace notes in the sheet, I find them not too noticeable in the original and I feel they'd be too intrusive in a piano arrangement.
- Yeah, that sounds good - I did think it did sound rather heavy in some places. Removed some notes where there were triads.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Static

Theme of Love
- m18 and 21 are missing some ties in the RH.

The Girl Who Stole the Stars
- Any reason you didn't include the flute countermelody in m11-19? You have the room (and the free fingers needed) to write it out there. You might want to experiment with the octave placement and such, but I think it would work nicely.
- m22 LH should have an Ab above the Gn.
- m24 RH should have a C on beat 4.5.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on September 06, 2020, 12:12:30 PMTheme of Love
- m18 and 21 are missing some ties in the RH.
Oops! Got it

Quote from: Static on September 06, 2020, 12:12:30 PMThe Girl Who Stole the Stars
- Any reason you didn't include the flute countermelody in m11-19? You have the room (and the free fingers needed) to write it out there. You might want to experiment with the octave placement and such, but I think it would work nicely.
In m. 13-15 I don't think it adds much. Pitch shifted down the flute in the second half of m. 13 would just repeat what the melody already does on beats 1-3, m. 14 just overlaps the Eb on beat 3, and m. 15's F would obscure the Db in the melody on beat 1. I did already write in the flute part in m. 15-16 and 19 where it fills in space nicely, but otherwise I think it's a bit too distracting without being able to differentiate it as a distinct countermelody when played.

Quote from: Static on September 06, 2020, 12:12:30 PM- m22 LH should have an Ab above the Gn.
- m24 RH should have a C on beat 4.5.
Updated!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on September 10, 2020, 05:00:09 PMIn m. 13-15 I don't think it adds much. Pitch shifted down the flute in the second half of m. 13 would just repeat what the melody already does on beats 1-3, m. 14 just overlaps the Eb on beat 3, and m. 15's F would obscure the Db in the melody on beat 1. I did already write in the flute part in m. 15-16 and 19 where it fills in space nicely, but otherwise I think it's a bit too distracting without being able to differentiate it as a distinct countermelody when played.
Alright, that makes sense. Sounds good then. Both sheets have been approved

mastersuperfan

The Girl Who Stole the Stars
Very nice.
- There should only be three grace notes before m1 RH beat 3: there is no F, just Db-Eb-Ab.
- I hear an Ab above the Bb in the LH on beat 1 of m5 and m9.
- How do you feel about flipping beat 4 of m15 RH down? It's true that Layer 2 is still present there, but IMO it just looks really weird to see beat 4 flipped up and then beat 1 of m16 flipped down immediately following.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

Because I love you
-LH m2 b4 - I hear the D as a restrike, not a tie

Otherwise, it's fantastic.

Theme of Love
Accepted

Postman's Theme
I suggest this for the first 2 measures because I think there's too many notes in the first measure's chords and I hear the 16th swing in m2.

Sanctuary
Approved