News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[DELETED] [GB] Game & Watch Gallery - "Octopus" by ShyYoshiGuy

Started by Zeta, January 18, 2021, 05:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Game & Watch Gallery
Console: Game Boy
Title: Octopus
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: ShyYoshiGuy

ShyYoshiGuy

https://youtu.be/dX6zsQ-kzjo?t=362 (You'll need to start at 6:02.)

I've seen no evidence that an additional 215 tempo exists, so I have it capped at 200 at the moment. The tempos will probably require an audit later since I'm not good enough at this one to record it and there aren't many proper videos of this one.

Some may remember that I previously submitted an arrangement of this song that wasn't my own. That arrangement was not referenced in the making of this one, however.

And yeah, Levi, the bassline does sound like Popeye's for some reason.
"Don't be nervous, be of service."
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

Quote from: ShyYoshiGuy on January 18, 2021, 05:41:44 PMAnd yeah, Levi, the bassline does sound like Popeye's for some reason.

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 18, 2021, 06:12:11 PMSee, guys??

This bassline reminds me of the bassline from 'Stand By Me' whenever I listen to it, though it's not quite the same.

Anyway...

Firstly, formatting.  Honestly it's a bit of a mess right now with systems inside the url and mini-titles etc.  Furthermore, there are too many bars per system and in many places the music is getting very squished.  I'd recommend going through a much less dense distribution, with 2 bars per system for the opening and then three bars per system for the rest of the piece.  Here's a picture of what that would look like:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Other things:

-You could add some articulations at the start (and potentially elsewhere).  I think it would help to visually decode the opening for the reader, like this:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
Maybe that's too much, but I think the slurs would be helpful at least.
-I'd recommend a double barline at bar 4.
-You could add a key change at bar 21 if you wanted, but it's not really necessary.
-The repeated semiquavers in bars 22, 24 etc. are pretty much impossible.  Honestly when I listen to the original they're so fast that it just sounds like a sustained note for each beat which is probably what I'd write in for simplicity.  Alternatively, you could turn it into an alternating octave pattern which would be slightly more doable, although still very difficult.  My recommendation would just be to turn those into crotchets, personally.

If you'd like a copy of the file with some of the above changes (the formatting ones and the articulations I changed for the picture), you can get it here.  I also normalised the margins a little in this file.

ShyYoshiGuy

The updating seems to have worked despite downloading issues today. All three files are uploaded with Libera's changes and the quarter notes. (I didn't add the key signature.) Thanks for the feedback, Libera.
"Don't be nervous, be of service."
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!