NinSheetMusic Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Author Topic: The Music Theory Discussion Thread  (Read 323 times)

legoenthusiast

• Bombchu Bolero
  • Kirby, True Heir to the Monado
    • View Profile
    • MuseScore profile
The Music Theory Discussion Thread
« on: March 17, 2021, 04:57:11 PM »

I’ve been self-studying music theory for some odd months now I wanted to start a discussion on this, since I want to share my knowledge as well as learn what others know.

The aims of this thread:
- For discussing the techniques individual vgm composers use in their songs
- How to apply music theory in your own compositions / applying it to arrangements
- For people who want to learn more about music theory (you can ask me or anyone else who’s willing)
- Analyses of songs can be posted here
- Dicussing the design of the soundscape of songs
- Discussing the overall design of soundtracks
- etc. (Anything music-related goes!)

(I am learning how to compose vgm, so most likely the songs I’ll talk about are vgm tracks.)

cashwarrior1

• Ordon Overture
  • Never changes his avatar
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Music Theory Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 05:59:11 PM »

Seems interesting, what did you have planned to start off the discussion? Like are we chatting about video game theory, music theory videos, music theory concepts? Something to start would be great!

Kricketune54

• Lapras Lullaby
  • Thank you for playing. Yes. I am Number One!
    • View Profile
    • Kricketune54 Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 06:39:29 PM »

Lego are you on the Discord?  There's been some recent talk about doing like sheet workshops or something on there, and while I think the thread idea is great, I could see interactive discussions there reaching a wider audience

legoenthusiast

• Bombchu Bolero
  • Kirby, True Heir to the Monado
    • View Profile
    • MuseScore profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 09:19:48 PM »

Seems interesting, what did you have planned to start off the discussion? Like are we chatting about video game theory, music theory videos, music theory concepts? Something to start would be great!
I was thinking of letting other people start it off, but I can too. Let’s discuss what makes a good dungeon theme. I have heard many dungeon themes (from the baroque-styled “Underground Sewers” from Chrono Trigger to the jazzy “Amp Plains” from PMD:EoS). The composers all take into account the style of the dungeon when deciding how to style the song. The choice of style for “Amp Plains” really comes off well, and I almost feel like there’s an electric buzz in the air whenever I play this dungeon. So how about we start off by analyzing those songs? link: Amp Plains | link: Far Amp Plains

Amp Plains:
1. The syncopation of the main melody offsets the beat to make it more interesting. I believe this is pretty common in jazzy songs.
2. It has the intro melody for Far Amp Plains layered on its intro, but it’s an octave up. I think this is considered kind of a musical foreshadowing?
3. In addition to drums, the bass synth also adds to the rhythm.

Just something quick to start it off since my analyzing is slow. (I will probably analyze it in more detail later)

Lego are you on the Discord?  There's been some recent talk about doing like sheet workshops or something on there, and while I think the thread idea is great, I could see interactive discussions there reaching a wider audience
Sorry, but my mom doesn’t want me to use Discord.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:51:31 PM by legoenthusiast »

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.