[GCN] Pokémon Colosseum - "Miror B.'s Retro Groove" (Replacement) by Kricketune54

Started by Zeta, May 29, 2021, 02:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Colosseum
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Miror B.'s Retro Groove
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

Mr. Masuda, I'm afraid this one is not in your library...

Just a few things to note:

-m21-24 as well as 49-52 bassline is pitched up to match the mixed accompaniment part of most of the song, which combines the bass and piano parts
-m25-32 is intended to be an open feeling section; I separated the piano and bassline parts (also right hand has something to do)
-The duet line between trumpet and sax that starts at m33 and goes until end of m48 has some simplifications where I left out the chord notes in eight note runs except in the very first notes of these runs.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Latios212

Great arrangement! It keeps the accompaniment simple while maintain the lively vibe of the original.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 29, 2021, 02:43:47 PM-The duet line between trumpet and sax that starts at m33 and goes until end of m48 has some simplifications where I left out the chord notes in eight note runs except in the very first notes of these runs.
I like this because parallel thirds drive me crazy :)

- Raise the tempo marking a bit
- I'd suggest moving the f at the beginning to the left of the notes or allocating more space between LH/RH staves, as it's a bit squished between the staccatos right now
- Getting this for m. 7 RH:
You cannot view this attachment.
- Be consistent with your beam breaking - namely break beams over rests in m. 16/18
- Maky m. 13 look like m. 5 (eighth instead of quarter on beat 3.5)
- Use Fb instead of En in the LH of m. 21/23/49/51
- Speaking of those parts, I'd consider redistributing the notes between hands a little bit because those consecutive 4-note chords can be a bit tough to play quickly in the right hand. It's doable without moving your hand position (have your fingers on Ab Cb Db Fb Ab) but it's a bit hard to pound them out quickly and powerfully. This messes with the voicing a bit visually but I think it would be easier to throw the low Ab on beat 3 to the LH.
- Also for these parts, break the beam in the LH between beats 3-4 like in the RH.
- Totally fine to (and preferred, even) use a dotted half when it falls on beat 2 - m. 33/37 here

And what a great performance note at the end. I think I would suggest altering the wording ever so slightly, like:
Performance Note:
At the ends of measures 2, 4, 12, and beginnings of measures 17, 19, 24, 32, 41, 43, and 52 -
feel free to enthusiastically shout in Spanglish, loudly roll R's or laugh in a jovial fashion

edit: also fixed the submission title

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on June 09, 2021, 07:55:35 PMGreat arrangement! It keeps the accompaniment simple while maintain the lively vibe of the original.

Thanks!

QuoteI like this because parallel thirds drive me crazy :)

On the subject of this- is it preferable to have both the trumpet and sax parallel third notes at the end of the phrase instead of the beginning?  I just want to be consistent if it's done differently elsewhere/considered easier to play

Quote- Getting this for m. 7 RH:
You cannot view this attachment.

So I hear as you do now- at first I was going to argue that it's a ghosted F on beat 2 but I realize it was the piano  ;D

QuoteAnd what a great performance note at the end. I think I would suggest altering the wording ever so slightly, like:

Yeah I figured it would be good to add a little flavor if desired - edited wording to match the above

Made all the other fixes and reuploaded

Latios212

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 10, 2021, 05:03:52 AMOn the subject of this- is it preferable to have both the trumpet and sax parallel third notes at the end of the phrase instead of the beginning?  I just want to be consistent if it's done differently elsewhere/considered easier to play
It could work either way, depending on both how you want it to sound and how natural of unnatural the thirds make the line to play. For what you have written, I think it's fine overall. However, since you asked:
- The F forming a third in m. 43 beat 1 doesn't do much and makes it harder to play beat 1.5 as it's a restrike, so I'd say you can take it out. Looking at this part again, I'm now realizing that the melody should play a Cb instead of Db at the end of the phrase on beat 2.5. You could add a melody Ab underneath it, but doing so would make it a bit more difficult to play (and beat 2.5 is already accented and has an Ab in the LH part).
- I think it'd be fine to preserve the thirds in m. 33. There's no change in hand or fingering position required for that, just a bit of dexterity.

Also, the tempo marking should still be raised a bit, and the accent is on the wrong side of the note in m. 4 LH :P The rest looks great!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on June 11, 2021, 07:32:18 PMIt could work either way, depending on both how you want it to sound and how natural of unnatural the thirds make the line to play. For what you have written, I think it's fine overall. However, since you asked:
- The F forming a third in m. 43 beat 1 doesn't do much and makes it harder to play beat 1.5 as it's a restrike, so I'd say you can take it out. Looking at this part again, I'm now realizing that the melody should play a Cb instead of Db at the end of the phrase on beat 2.5. You could add a melody Ab underneath it, but doing so would make it a bit more difficult to play (and beat 2.5 is already accented and has an Ab in the LH part).
- I think it'd be fine to preserve the thirds in m. 33. There's no change in hand or fingering position required for that, just a bit of dexterity.

Changed the Cb from Db, did not add Ab.  Also added the thirds on m. 33

QuoteAlso, the tempo marking should still be raised a bit, and the accent is on the wrong side of the note in m. 4 LH :P The rest looks great!

this is also finally fixed, and I edited the tempo expression to include the word

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

federico!
rrrrrrr
gangsta!
avocado!
hahahahaha

- I don't think "Allegro" fits as a character indication for a track like this. I'd typically reserve such markings for music that is at least somewhat classical in style. Lots of possibilities though (Upbeat! Funky! something like that) if you wanted to just use an English word.
- I think I would write this in Db major rather than Gb major. Db seems to be the tonic most of the time.
- Some of the chords in m1 and m3 have an F as the lowest note:

[close]
- I think you forgot to change m7 RH according to Latios's suggestion
- I don't hear a D in the RH chord on m21/23/49/51 beat 3.5 (but it is there on beat 3)
- Maybe mf in m25 and then back to forte in m33?
- You might consider removing the C from the LH on m40 beat 2.5 so that it doesn't get so close to the RH and create that second interval, which might obscure the melody a bit. It's perfectly fine either way though.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 25, 2021, 09:19:10 PMfederico!
rrrrrrr
gangsta!
avocado!
hahahahaha

Do you think this should be included in the performance notes as a sort of Miror B glossary lol

Quote- I don't think "Allegro" fits as a character indication for a track like this. I'd typically reserve such markings for music that is at least somewhat classical in style. Lots of possibilities though (Upbeat! Funky! something like that) if you wanted to just use an English word.

I like upbeat (not really feeling funky here) - how about fiesta?

Quote- I think I would write this in Db major rather than Gb major. Db seems to be the tonic most of the time.
- Some of the chords in m1 and m3 have an F as the lowest note:

[close]

Fixed

Quote- I think you forgot to change m7 RH according to Latios's suggestion

oops fixed

Quote- I don't hear a D in the RH chord on m21/23/49/51 beat 3.5 (but it is there on beat 3)
- Maybe mf in m25 and then back to forte in m33?
- You might consider removing the C from the LH on m40 beat 2.5 so that it doesn't get so close to the RH and create that second interval, which might obscure the melody a bit. It's perfectly fine either way though.

Fixed these minus the last point- I left it in the Cb.  Would it be better to put the Ab in the LH as a second layer?

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 25, 2021, 09:49:00 PMDo you think this should be included in the performance notes as a sort of Miror B glossary lol
That might be taking it too far lol

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 25, 2021, 09:49:00 PMI like upbeat (not really feeling funky here) - how about fiesta?
Yeah funky's not a good one, I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head (probably fits better with the XD version). Fiesta seems weird to me because it's a noun, not an adjective or an adverb. I guess it's okay, though.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 25, 2021, 09:49:00 PMFixed these minus the last point- I left it in the Cb.  Would it be better to put the Ab in the LH as a second layer?
Nah, it's fine written as is.

Also, this is super nitpicky but can you move the mf in m25 slightly up (to be centered between the staves) and slightly to the right (to be centered with the notehead)?

Other than that, let me know what you want to do with the tempo marking, and I'm happy to accept.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 25, 2021, 10:24:19 PMThat might be taking it too far lol

*sad Spanglish noises* yeah agreed haha

QuoteYeah funky's not a good one, I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head
(probably fits better with the XD version)
aye

QuoteFiesta seems weird to me because it's a noun, not an adjective or an adverb. I guess it's okay, though.

How about Lively!  that is what I have put

QuoteAlso, this is super nitpicky but can you move the mf in m25 slightly up (to be centered between the staves) and slightly to the right (to be centered with the notehead)?

Did the same for f as well

mastersuperfan

Zeta