Game: Donkey Kong 3
Console: Arcade
Title: Music from Donkey Kong 3
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

Source:
Some pretty short tremolos have been changed into regular notes for easier playability.

Kricketune54

That clear A really sounds like it could be Underworld from Kid Icarus lol

It sounds like there is another descending line going on with Potted Plant Pinch.  Last pitch (beat 4) also sounds like it ends on an F and an A respectively

NineLives

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 14, 2021, 06:01:48 PMIt sounds like there is another descending line going on with Potted Plant Pinch.  Last pitch (beat 4) also sounds like it ends on an F and an A respectively
I don't quite hear it. To me, it sounds like it's doubling the same notes to provide a sort of echo to the main melody I got in the sheet, which is why I put a pedal on it. Though I'm not sure how to make it sound like that in the playback.

Static

Game Start
  • m1 LH beat 1: The C#-D sounds more like D-Eb to me.
  • m1 LH beat 2: It almost sounds like there's a 3rd voice here underneath the other two, Db and C I think.
  • m1 LH beat 4: Similarly, I hear an Eb below the Gb here.
  • m2 should be respelled with all sharps instead of flats (Fns should be E#s as well). This bar is a progression in B major.
  • m2 RH beats 1.75-2: The Gns should be G#s.
  • m2 RH beat 2.5: The Fn/E# should be F#.
  • m2 LH beat 2.75: Should be F# instead of A#.
  • m2 LH beat 4.25: Should be Bn instead of An.
  • m2 LH: I don't hear the 2nd Layer quarter note voice in the original.
BGM A
  • Only the low voice is present in the original, it's not doubled an octave higher.
Clear A
  • m8 and 10 are in A major, so all the Dbs should be C#s.
  • 16th note rhythms should be beamed across the beat (you might recall that feedback on your Junior Class Match sheet).
  • Consider putting in the bassline instead of the countermelody, but it's up to you.
BGM B
  • Beam the 16th note rhythms here too.
  • You can go to Document Options > Key Signatures > uncheck "Cancel outgoing key signature" to remove naturals before flats/sharps in key signature changes. It can help save space, but just know this is a document-wide effect (you can't set it individually), so you may not want to.
Clear B
  • For the last two chords, the middle voice should be Db-Bb instead of Ab-G.
Super Spray
  • The LH in m27-28 should be an octave lower than written.
  • I would spell the E# as Fn in m30 LH so it matches the RH. Since this is in C major, the F# on beat 2.5 is the chromatic passing tone here, not the F before it. At least that's how I hear it.
Potted Plant Pinch
  • The original version sounds like it's pitched lower than what you have written. It should start on E5 and end on F4.
Miss
  • The lowest note in m39 should be a low C instead of G.

NineLives

All right. Sheet's been updated!
Quote from: Static on July 23, 2021, 09:32:30 AMGame Start
  • m2 LH: I don't hear the 2nd Layer quarter note voice in the original.
Are you sure? I hear it pretty well. It even sounds a bit more accented than the other two melodies.

Static

Quote from: NineLives on July 23, 2021, 01:01:34 PMAll right. Sheet's been updated!Are you sure? I hear it pretty well. It even sounds a bit more accented than the other two melodies.
I can kinda hear it now. The other changes look good!

The only other additional comments I have are aesthetic ones:
  • Staccatos should be centered over notes rather than stems (see this thread).
  • The tempo marking for BGM A is really close to that flat sign.
  • The tremolo bar in m25 is pretty short and easy to miss. You can lengthen it with the Beam Extension Tool (under Special Tools). Just stretch it a bit on both sides.
  • You should be able to easily fit the last system on Page 3.

NineLives

LeviR.star

There's a very short fanfare that plays when the bee nest lands on Donkey Kong's head in Stage B. Did you want to include that?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

What you have here looks good, but yeah definitely see if you can add the bee nest thing (and any other little fanfares if they exist). You could probably fit that on page 2.

NineLives

Quote from: LeviR.star on July 24, 2021, 09:31:43 AMThere's a very short fanfare that plays when the bee nest lands on Donkey Kong's head in Stage B. Did you want to include that?
Sure. I got it in now.

LeviR.star

If I may ask, why is "Potted Plant Pinch" an octave down? Doesn't it start on E5?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Quote from: LeviR.star on July 28, 2021, 06:24:02 PMIf I may ask, why is "Potted Plant Pinch" an octave down? Doesn't it start on E5?
Yes... yes it should. I thought I said E5 earlier and thought the sheet reflected that, but I missed it.

Pitch labelling is annoying/confusing sometimes, NineLives, just remember C4 is middle C and 5 is the one above that.

NineLives

mastersuperfan

Note check to soon, but just looking at it now...
- Most of your dynamics could be moved a bit to the right—they should be centered with the center of the noteheads, not with the left edge. You can make Finale do this automatically if you edit the dynamic marking and go to Positioning > Uncheck "Use Dynamics Category Positioning" and select Horizontal Alignment: Center of Primary Notehead.
- The spacing of the systems in BGM A is a bit uneven—the distance between the second and third systems is greater than between the first and second systems.
- You could shorten the width of the last system of BGM B, Bee Hive, and Miss so that they're not stretched to take up more room than they need.
- Your second and third pages have no bottom margin for some reason, so your systems are too close to the edge of the page. A bottom margin of 0.5 is recommended (you can select the Page Layout tool and go to Page Layout > Page Margins > Edit Page Margins, then enter 0.5 in the bottom margin box, click "All Pages," and then "Apply"). You might have to move the systems around some more to get it to fit.
- It would probably also be nice for the space between systems that are part of the same tune to be closer together than they are to systems that correspond to different tunes. For example, move the two systems in "Clear B" closer together than they currently are, and move "Super Spray" farther away from "Clear B". The spatial separation helps the player to identify which tunes are what.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.