Who do you think is the best Video game composer?

Started by jake3343, August 19, 2008, 06:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think is the best Video game composer?

Koji Kondo
36 (58.1%)
Nobuo Uematsu
12 (19.4%)
Grant Kirkhope
5 (8.1%)
somebody else
9 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 61

The-Real-Link

Quote from: Playgame38 on August 21, 2008, 07:23:26 AMYoko Shimomura is one of my faves, so other.
Thank you!, I love Shimomura. Especially her work on Kingdom Hearts. (I have the full 9 cd boxset.) Her work on Mana and on Mario RPG was amazing as well.

Echo

Yeah, Yoko's way up there for me too. For the same soundtracks mentioned above.

I'm also a fan of Yuka Tsujiyoko, for the Fire Emblem tracks especially. FE7 in particular has epic battle music, Idoun's theme from FE6 is one of my faves, and of course there's the main theme. I'm also kind of a fan her Paper Mario songs too.

Besides that, Dave Wise was cool too for DKC music.

The-Real-Link

Quote from: Echo on August 21, 2008, 03:31:31 PMYeah, Yoko's way up there for me too. For the same soundtracks mentioned above.

I'm also a fan of Yuka Tsujiyoko, for the Fire Emblem tracks especially. FE7 in particular has epic battle music, Idoun's theme from FE6 is one of my faves, and of course there's the main theme. I'm also kind of a fan her Paper Mario songs too.

Besides that, Dave Wise was cool too for DKC music.
And we can't forget Matoi Sakuraba! His work on the tales series is phenominal. And the Eternal Sonata soundtrack ^_________^ It's AMAZING!

Dude

blah54

Quote from: The-Real-Link on August 21, 2008, 07:50:03 PMAnd we can't forget Matoi Sakuraba! His work on the tales series is phenominal. And the Eternal Sonata soundtrack ^_________^ It's AMAZING!

Motoi sakuraba composes great stuff... but it's generally of the same style and the pieces often even sound very similar, you can recognize his work easily, and even though it's good...

i bet that kondo will be, like he has, to continue to be the most iconic video game composer, he makes catchy tunes, but not always the best quality music.... but if i had to choose from that group, i'd say Uematsu is the best composer...
It's on a need-to-know basis that you don't need to know.

The-Real-Link

Quote from: blah54 on August 22, 2008, 02:31:01 PM
Quote from: The-Real-Link on August 21, 2008, 07:50:03 PMAnd we can't forget Matoi Sakuraba! His work on the tales series is phenominal. And the Eternal Sonata soundtrack ^_________^ It's AMAZING!

Motoi sakuraba composes great stuff... but it's generally of the same style and the pieces often even sound very similar, you can recognize his work easily, and even though it's good...

i bet that kondo will be, like he has, to continue to be the most iconic video game composer, he makes catchy tunes, but not always the best quality music.... but if i had to choose from that group, i'd say Uematsu is the best composer...
I thought I spelled his name wrong...Like you say, Kondo is a master and composing recognizable, catchy tunes, but it usually stays at that. HOWEVER, Kondo does write an amazing song every once in a while.

Gooch

I must request that Yasunori Mitsuda be added to the list. Chrono Trigger had beautiful stuff, but because he's not there and i dont think that "Other" is descriptive enough, i'll go with Nobuo.

gremhiilzoone

I liked Masato Nakamura (first sonic series) and Grant Kirkhope, but none has ever beat Kondo. I love the Mario and Zelda themes  ;D
Wii number:

3698-2928-7026-1383

Jedesyus

Tranzlater

I gotta go for Kondo, his work on galaxy was IMMENSE
Kenji Yamamoto did good work on Super Metroid and the Prime series.
Quote from: Arison The Bat
oviosly so far i've only got "little unmature kids" to respond to this thread
After months of mediation and exams, I return.
Probably not for long.

PseudoMario16

okay, well, how can u not vote koji kondo- he created the mario theme!!! thats like one of the most known songs ever!!!(and 1 of the best songs ever)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1dvSlvZLG8 - its... its... beautiful!

SuperFireKirby

I personally love Jun Ishikawa's work on songs for Kirby. But when it comes to the greatest not even he comes to the Kondo standard.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

musicguy360

Quote from: HungryDragon on August 19, 2008, 09:21:28 PMKondo is greatly known for hs iconic themes, but Nobou, for his great orchestrations. I'd have to go with Nobuo on this one, though Kondo is a close second. Can't say I've heard of the other two though  :-\

I think exactly the same. I voted for Nobou Uematsu.

ALPRAS

Koji Kondo its best of all. This guy is so amazing. Hes creating Songs for 30 years and he nver looses his imagination. Incredible... Thanks to him, Ill make my music carrer

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!