Deciding the Next Special Update! (Summer 2023)

Started by Kricketune54, July 26, 2023, 08:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kricketune54

Well, it's been a good while since we've had one, but the time is now for another special update! For the newer folks, a special update is an update based around a single theme (see past examples Space and Colors). The nomination phase will be open until August 2nd 10 PM EST; each user can suggest one theme in the thread here.  The restrictions are the same as they always are:

• The theme cannot be limited to a single game/series or musical style.
  • No duplicates of previous themes (space, colors, etc.)

The best themes are the ones that are easily applicable to many different types of video games and musical styles, whilst also being coherent.  If you want to see the previous nomination thread, you can find it here.

Like last time, before voting begins the updaters will draft a shortlist of the options first.  This is to simplify the voting and also to ensure that the options will be the ones most viable as the focus of an arrangement project.  Once the shortlist is announced, the voting will be open for around five days.  After that, submissions will open for a fixed period of time (more details to come when nominations are closed).

Fantastic Ike

Yeah, I can't read lol

Going to officially pitch my N*S*M (song has to start with one of those letters) idea, but excited to see what everyone else has planned!

cashwarrior1

updated to just one theme

Nature: Music that represents nature. (location themes, character themes, etc)

Atcero

Did we ever do that hot theme? Cause if not gonna pitch that again cause it do be toasty outside.

Official name could be Too Hot to Handle or something corny like that and could include all hot, fire, or sunny levels and themes.
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

ThatHiddenCharacter

Ooh, I don't believe I ever submitted ideas for this before.

With a Little Help from My Friends: Good-aligned themes (e.g. protagonists, good NPCs, hometowns/towns, shops, any place with people aligned good)

Keep Your Enemies Closer: Evil-aligned themes (e.g. antagonists, bad/mean NPCs, dungeons/lairs, fight/boss themes, anything related to enemies)

Neutral Net Processor: Neutral themes (e.g. overworlds, NPCs just minding their own business, neutral area themes, anything with no moral alignment)
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

XiaoMigros

It takes 2 to tango - All arrangements have to be duets

MetaMusic™ - VGM that not only can be heard by the player, but plays on the level of in-game characters as well

Kricketune54

Everyone I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but the original post said to pick one theme - guess I should've bolded it lol. If you see this post please narrow down your suggestions so that the updaters can have a smaller list to go through and then have the community vote on

cashwarrior1

NineLives

Not exactly my idea, but I liked it enough to suggest it again.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 03, 2022, 02:14:09 PMNSM Sports League - Racing, fishing, Olympics, any sort of sporting activities, or tournament-type themes!  Maybe it could be set up like the food update but with a sports club with different events.

Fantastic Ike

Quotereading is hard, yo

Hey, I said I could read sheet music, not actual words. Don't be expecting too much of me here lol

Kricketune54

Nominations are now closed!

Keep an eye out for information on voting  ;D

LeviR.star

Hey, I reached out to several people on Discord yesterday about a late nomination, but got no response, so I'm posting it here in hopes it is still accepted:

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 30, 2023, 11:35:23 AMOne of the Updates of All Time - Songs that are bad - not poorly arranged for piano, but VGM that makes you go  :o. This might be a bit subjective, but there's playlists out there of stuff that is just not considered good, whether it's chords, sound fonts, or the general musicality.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

Nominations are closed as of yesterday evening, and now the voting begins.

Voting will work in the same way it did for the previous projects (you can see the details of the method that we are using here).  To vote, you need to PM me (using the forum PM system is my preferred method) a ranked list of the options from most favourite to least favourite.  Here is an example vote message (themes made using my own blatantly recycled neural network).
Spoiler
<username>
1 - Music appearing in TV advertisements
2 - Music featuring Blathers from the Animal Crossing (tm) series
3 - Music that makes you regret arranging it
4 - Extremely powerful music
5 - Save music
[close]
In your vote you need to rank every option, with no ties allowed.  If you don't do this, your vote will not be counted.  Also, just like in previous times, arrangers (those with at least one sheet on-site) will have their votes count for double.

Here is the shortlist formed by the updaters (click the links for the relevant nominations/descriptions:

The Shortlist

-Nature
-NSM
-Too hot to handle
-Keep your enemies closer
-Sports league

You have exactly five days (120 hours from the time of this post) to send in your votes to me, after which I will announce the winner and open up submissions.  More details surrounding how the submissions will work will be given at that time, although it will mostly function similarly to how it has done in the past.

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 03, 2023, 07:13:20 AMHey, I reached out to several people on Discord yesterday about a late nomination, but got no response, so I'm posting it here in hopes it is still accepted:

For clarity, this was still considered.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on August 04, 2023, 12:58:43 PMFor clarity, this was still considered.

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

Voting is now closed.  I will be announcing the results shortly...