News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Francesca's "Too Hot to Handle" Project Sheet

Started by Francesca, August 11, 2023, 10:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francesca

OMORI
BREADY STEADY GO (Four Hands) [REJECTED]
[ZIP]

This theme plays during the boss fight against the Unbread Twins, final bosses of the Orange Oasis area.

Mother 3
Volcano! Inferno!
[ZIP]

Francesca

I apologize in advance for the complexity of the sheet- as the name suggests, this is the only one I will be uploading for the project.

Kricketune54

Hi Francesca,

We gave this sheet a review and found that it is not likely to be ready in time for this project's prospective completion. There's a lot of arrangement-related feedback on top of a number of formatting items that we would need to address before this is up to the standards we are looking for

Hope this gives you ample time for another project-themed submission or two if you elect to do so; if you chose to keep this one up we will do our best to assist and move it along but given the time needed it is not likely our availability will get this where it will need to be.

Francesca

I understand, I'll see if I can get something else done. May I resubmit the sheet in the future as a normal submission?

XiaoMigros

Please do, I'd be happy to go over it with you in more detail in regular submissions! We updaters just felt that this sheet was a outside the scope of this project due to the amount of time available, that's all

Francesca

Okay, that's reassuring ^^ I admit it was a horrible pick from the start, but even when the Too Hot to Handle idea was just brought up I thought that the track would fit the theme really well so I still tried to arrange it for the project. The fact that the piece uses almost exclusively one chord, the awkward percussion part and of course the fact that it's a duet made it really hard to arrange. I'll update the main post later today with my arrangement of Volcano! Inferno! from Mother 3.

XiaoMigros

Sounds good! I'm glad you understand our concerns, and await your new sheet^^

Francesca

(Just in case you hadn't noticed, I have uploaded the new arrangement)

Kricketune54

Volcano! Inferno

Just a quick skim (totally didn't mix this up with the other Inferno track) , but noticed some stuff:

• Basing off a more recent Mother 3 sheet, I think companies credited should display at bottom as: Brownie Brown, HAL Laboratory, Nintendo
• Minor performance note suggestion, instead of "notes marked as 'X'" how about "notes with 'X' noteheads"
• Don't forget slurs on grace notes
• There are some issues with spacing, I think from your MuseScore conversion; basically a bunch of noteheads on the triplets are messed up. I think the best way to fix this is just by clicking into the noteheads at least once in each measure, though someone more familiar with MuseScore can correct me. Image includes some of the needed fixes I spotted
Spoiler
[close]
• m9 and m13 RH some incorrect beaming, the half note should be an 8th tied to a dotted quarter
• also m9 and m13 there isn't much reason to use a gliss between pitches so close to each other, maybe you could use a grace note or two instead?

XiaoMigros

Yeah that's right, just click into each measure with the note entry tool and the spacing will realign itself

Francesca

(Just for clarification, I don't know why you thought I imported this from Musescore, but I worked on this sheet using exclusively Finale 27)

QuoteBasing off a more recent Mother 3 sheet, I think companies credited should display at bottom as: Brownie Brown, HAL Laboratory, Nintendo
Ah, I see. Most of the Mother 3 sheets on site differ a lot in copyright so I was confused, but thank you for clearing that up.

QuoteMinor performance note suggestion, instead of "notes marked as 'X'" how about "notes with 'X' noteheads"
I changed it to "notes containing an 'X' notehead". Is that okay?

QuoteDon't forget slurs on grace notes
Fixed!

QuoteThere are some issues with spacing, I think from your MuseScore conversion; basically a bunch of noteheads on the triplets are messed up. I think the best way to fix this is just by clicking into the noteheads at least once in each measure, though someone more familiar with MuseScore can correct me. Image includes some of the needed fixes I spotted
I managed to fix the spacing issues by just clicking on the measures as you and Xiao suggested.

Quotem9 and m13 RH some incorrect beaming, the half note should be an 8th tied to a dotted quarter
Thank you, fixed.

Quotealso m9 and m13 there isn't much reason to use a gliss between pitches so close to each other, maybe you could use a grace note or two instead?
Do you have any suggestions as to how to notate this while keeping the same effect of the original without also looking too clunky? In the original it's really just sliding through the notes so I don't know how to represent it accurately, at most I could do this but it feels a bit too cluttery with the 64th notes:
You cannot view this attachment.

Thank you for the feedback!

Kricketune54

Quote from: Francesca on August 30, 2023, 06:59:57 AM(Just for clarification, I don't know why you thought I imported this from Musescore, but I worked on this sheet using exclusively Finale 27)
This commonly happens with MuseScore sheets importing to Finale, but as you've identified elsewhere I guess it can happen in Finale too
QuoteI changed it to "notes containing an 'X' notehead". Is that okay?
Yes this is fine
QuoteDo you have any suggestions as to how to notate this while keeping the same effect of the original without also looking too clunky? In the original it's really just sliding through the notes so I don't know how to represent it accurately, at most I could do this but it feels a bit too cluttery with the 64th notes:
You cannot view this attachment.
It is unfortunately tight but I would just use 16th grace notes here, you can keep the ending pitch as well.

More feedback
• In between your update to this sheet we just put out new formatting guidelines. Sorry for this after the fact, but could you unbold the text below the "Performance Note" bit?
• m4 beat 3-4, in this recurring chord the Bb should be an A in this chord (F major)
• m7 beat 1.75 An write as Bbb (as well in later part of measure), beat 3 first note write En as Fb
• m11 RH 3.0 is an F#
• m17 and 21 beat 3 RH these notes are 16th length. They also are just F's, no Bb's underneath.
• m16, m18, m20, and 22 RH 3.5 and 4.5 staccato on these notes as well
• m23 beat 3 1st triplet the G is an Ab and in the second triplet, it's a Gn instad of Gb. On beat 4 the F is a Gb, and the E is an F.
• m24 When doing a gliss but moreso any other notation, it's not correct to have symbols go through other parts. One alternative way to show this gliss is to split m24 so that beat 4 is in bass cleff. I've shown it as a full beat; someone can correct me if there is a better way to show this gliss, but it shouldn't go through and obscuring the percussion part:
Spoiler
[close]

• I would also recommend notating the 8th-16-16 combo throughout this a bit differently for ease:
Spoiler
[close]

Francesca

QuoteIt is unfortunately tight but I would just use 16th grace notes here, you can keep the ending pitch as well
Okay, that's how I kept it.

QuoteIn between your update to this sheet we just put out new formatting guidelines. Sorry for this after the fact, but could you unbold the text below the "Performance Note" bit?
Of course! Sorry, I could have read the new guidelines sooner (I have now)

Quote• In between your update to this sheet we just put out new formatting guidelines. Sorry for this after the fact, but could you unbold the text below the "Performance Note" bit?
• m4 beat 3-4, in this recurring chord the Bb should be an A in this chord (F major)
• m7 beat 1.75 An write as Bbb (as well in later part of measure), beat 3 first note write En as Fb
• m11 RH 3.0 is an F#
• m17 and 21 beat 3 RH these notes are 16th length. They also are just F's, no Bb's underneath
• m16, m18, m20, and 22 RH 3.5 and 4.5 staccato on these notes as well
• m23 beat 3 1st triplet the G is an Ab and in the second triplet, it's a Gn instad of Gb. On beat 4 the F is a Gb, and the E is an F
• m24 When doing a gliss but moreso any other notation, it's not correct to have symbols go through other parts. One alternative way to show this gliss is to split m24 so that beat 4 is in bass cleff. I've shown it as a full beat; someone can correct me if there is a better way to show this gliss, but it shouldn't go through and obscuring the percussion part
Updated, the glissando looks much cleaner now.

QuoteI would also recommend notating the 8th-16-16 combo throughout this a bit differently for ease
Updated, thank you for the suggestion

Kricketune54

Quote• m17 and 21 beat 3 RH these notes are 16th length. They also are just F's, no Bb's underneath
Check the note length, these are still in a triplet bracket for some reason, beats 3.0 and 3.25 in both staffs rhythmically line up together for m17 and m21. Also m17 beat 4 should be a quarter rest in the RH.

Some reversions this time after playing around a bit myself.
• m9 and 13, I'm actually thinking the best way to do this is the following: it sounds to me like the Bn is the technical bottom of the gliss, which I think is good in giving a target note (which this was previously missing, making it ambiguous). This would look like this, but I think m11 and 19 is good as is:
Spoiler
[close]
• m7 also, sorry to go back on this a little, but I was playing around and this looks a bit cleaner compared to what I told you initially:
Spoiler
[close]

Additional Feedback
• m4 and elsewhere - sorry I missed this when I mentioned the F major chord the first time, but the D in this chord is a C. F-A-C-F.
• m8, 10, 12 and RH 4.0 relistening to this rhythm I don't think there's a meaningful difference in notelength, so you could remove the staccato, and maybe also remove the slur (or extend it to beat 4.5)
• m15 RH last triplet the Ab should be An
• m17 and 21 RH 2.5 technically there's no second Eb here, you could remove the bottom one in both measures
• m23 RH the Ab in the last triplet of beat 2 is actually An.
• m24 while the gliss looks better, according to conventional beaming practices the note order should be dotted half note, then the tied 8th.

Francesca

Everything seems fine, files updated.