News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

WiiMan96's Arrangements | Added Trine "Main Theme" 23rd January '12

Started by WiiMan96, September 09, 2008, 11:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arrangement focus?

Replacements
Requests
Projects
Music WiiMan wants!
Doesn't bother me so long as you keep arranging!
NO

Kimmel

Quote from: Jub3r7 on June 16, 2011, 11:10:49 AMWe want to make the arrangements accurate and playable.

You can make a piece accurate, playable and rich/full if you take the melody/theme and the chords and make something out of it. Music theory helps.

QuoteAlthough if you want, you can check out the Virtuoso arrangements by MaestroUGC. They are very full and have a climax, if you are looking for one.

Well, his arrangements are not good in my opinion. He is using the chords the wrong way.

Quotewhile some arrangers might remix a song,

Then I would call it a remix and not an arrangement.

QuoteArrangements are songs perscribed on a sheet from a video game;
Quotethe main focus is so the musician can play the original piece.

Nothing wrong with that.
Most of the pieces aren't written for the piano. An arranger takes the pieces and arrange them, so that it sound good on the piano. This is, what you call an arrangement. If you simply take the melody and the bass line and don't make something out of it, then it is a transcription according to my music teacher.

Besides, thanks for your opinion :)
Sorry for my English ^.^

WiiMan96

I do agree in a way about arrangement vs transcription, but I guess our definition is a little different from the musically accepted standard. Our style of 'arranging' is essentially re-'arranging' the parts of a song so that they are playable on piano. Most of our audience likes to be able to play the pieces as close to the original as possible so that they bear a lot of resemblance to the originals they know and love, so our arranging does indeed go on borderline transcription. (Though as far as my understanding goes, a transcription is for the original instruments.)

Obviously, a lot of pieces in video games have lots of parts while others have only percussion fills in places, so some spontaneity and some more traditional 'arranging' is required for it to feel at home on a piano. However, I don't think this is one of them. Our audience (yes, I'm going on about audience again xD) is usually one that consists of novices to intermediate players. While I agree that there are some parts that could be 'exaggerated' or otherwise made more full, it would probably prove to be too difficult for a person of said experience given the fast tempo of the piece.

Thanks for the thoughts, though! I'll see what I can do without altering the difficulty too much (provided it's within my arranging/transcribing capabilities anyway ;) ).

Kimmel

Quote from: WiiMan96 on June 16, 2011, 02:36:53 PMI do agree in a way about arrangement vs transcription, but I guess our definition is a little different from the musically accepted standard. Our style of 'arranging' is essentially re-'arranging' the parts of a song so that they are playable on piano. Most of our audience likes to be able to play the pieces as close to the original as possible so that they bear a lot of resemblance to the originals they know and love, so our arranging does indeed go on borderline transcription. (Though as far as my understanding goes, a transcription is for the original instruments.)

An arrangement that is close to the original piece and full isn't a contradiction (Correct me, if I've misunderstood you).
You're right. There are some arrangements that don't resemble the original at all. I don't like them either, but there is a way to arrange the pieces that sound good and are close the original pieces.
I think, that is a "true" piano arrangement.

QuoteObviously, a lot of pieces in video games have lots of parts while others have only percussion fills in places, so some spontaneity and some more traditional 'arranging' is required for it to feel at home on a piano.

Traditional arranging? What do you mean?

QuoteHowever, I don't think this is one of them. Our audience (yes, I'm going on about audience again xD) is usually one that consists of novices to intermediate players.

QuoteWhile I agree that there are some parts that could be 'exaggerated' or otherwise made more full, it would probably prove to be too difficult for a person of said experience given the fast tempo of the piece.

Well, a good arrangement needn't to be hard.
Besides, there are good players out here, too. 

QuoteThanks for the thoughts, though!
You're welcome!

QuoteI'll see what I can do without altering the difficulty too much

I will look forward to this.
Quote(provided it's within my arranging/transcribing capabilities anyway ;) ).

If you arrange from time to time you'll get better.

Sorry for my English ^.^

WiiMan96

Quote from: Kimmel on June 17, 2011, 10:01:52 AMTraditional arranging? What do you mean?

I probably didn't phrase that right. I meant making it more full when it's required.

Quote from: Kimmel on June 17, 2011, 10:01:52 AMWell, a good arrangement needn't to be hard.
Besides, there are good players out here, too. 

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty good players that use the site - just as far as I know, more beginners use it than experts. My reasoning for it is that many beginners aren't too great in music theory, and won't know how to simplify the piece if they need to. More experienced musicians may be able to add extra flourishes and make it more 'full' on their own. That said, I will try to make it more full without the difficulty rising too much.

Other than this, I agree with what a true arrangement is. I'll see what I can do. :)

Quote from: Kimmel on June 17, 2011, 10:01:52 AMIf you arrange from time to time you'll get better.

Yeah, I've improved a bit over the past couple years, but sadly I don't have too much time nowadays to arrange.

Thanks for the thoughts. Any measures in particular you think need to be made more full?

Kimmel

QuoteI probably didn't phrase that right. I meant making it more full when it's required.

You can arrange something without making it full (for example at the beginning it can sound nice) :)

QuoteOh, I'm sure there are plenty good players that use the site - just as far as I know, more beginners use it than experts.

That's sure...

QuoteMore experienced musicians may be able to add extra flourishes and make it more 'full' on their own.

That is quite difficult, even for experienced musicians.

QuoteThat said, I will try to make it more full without the difficulty rising too much.

Okay!

QuoteOther than this, I agree with what a true arrangement is. I'll see what I can do.

Okay. I'll look forward to seeing your future projects.

QuoteYeah, I've improved a bit over the past couple years, but sadly I don't have too much time nowadays to arrange.

Then you can learn some music theory. It helps me a lot.

QuoteThanks for the thoughts. Any measures in particular you think need to be made more full?

You could add some (broken) chords (of course the right one and at the right place), for example.
Or adding some notes here and there (passing tones etc.).

Sorry for my English ^.^

WiiMan96

Alrighty. Any measures in particular or just about everywhere?

Korados

Whoa! Could you stop that "qouting-every-sentence-thing", please? I can hardly follow your conversation! ;D

WiiMan96

Quote from: Korados on June 19, 2011, 12:58:10 AMWhoa!

WHOA

Quote from: Korados on June 19, 2011, 12:58:10 AMCould you stop that "qouting-every-sentence-thing", please?

*quoting

Quote from: Korados on June 19, 2011, 12:58:10 AMI can hardly follow your conversation!

Too bad.

Quote from: Korados on June 19, 2011, 12:58:10 AM;D

;D

...just kidding. ;) Sorry 'bout all that confusing we've been doing.

Kimmel

Quote from: WiiMan96 on June 18, 2011, 03:00:50 PMAlrighty. Any measures in particular or just about everywhere?

Make a new arrangement and we'll talk about that then :)
Take a piece that is easy to arrange (for example ambient music, but not battle music [= hard to arrange, because it uses often crazy harmonies]).

QuoteWhoa! Could you stop that "qouting-every-sentence-thing", please? I can hardly follow your conversation! Grin

This is fun :D
Sorry for my English ^.^

WiiMan96

WiiMan96

Minecraft

I'm not sure of the key sig (it seems to switch between B minor and F# minor a lot), so any comments are muchly appreciated!

Winter

I don't see any problems with the key signature, I only usually change the key if the song distinctly switches to the key for at least 8 measures showing no signs of the previous key.

Anyway, I really love the dynamics, it's hard to make dynamics sound good on Finale alone. Very nice. Never heard the song before either.

WiiMan96

Alrighty. I have a similar policy, so all good then. In my earlier arrangements I remember I changed the key sig in every measure to get rid of as many accidentals as possible. xD

Thank you! :D Human playback helped a bit (read: a lot) with that, though.

Bespinben

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Sekter77

This is a very pretty song. Nice job with it! The key signature seems fine. There's really no definite signal for which it should be, so either one probably works. It's cool that you're arranging again anyway!
Guitar and video games.