News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

Anime and Manga suggestions.

Started by The-Real-Link, January 24, 2009, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: Roz~ on October 28, 2014, 10:24:27 PMPsycho-Pass is pretty good. It's weird and gory and fun
The story was pretty good too.
I watched like 2 or 3 more episodes and yea it starts getting much better.  The first 2 are just full of a ton of shitty tropes so it turned me off really fast, but then they actually bring out much more interesting episode plots.  The arc storyline of the girl having her internal struggle seems shit but I will let that go because overall it is neat.

me irl
[close]

Jompa

Psycho-Pass, like Steins;Gate, is an anime that for most people requires two tries to watch. That has been the case with everyone I know who's watched it.
Quote from: Jompa on March 16, 2014, 04:49:34 PMI'm currently watching Psycho-Pass (second try, since I didn't like it at first), and I really like it! The gruesomeness is really taking me back to my Higurashi-watching days, it's quite exciting. I recommend it!
Quote from: Jompa on March 17, 2014, 01:33:59 PMOh god, Psycho-Pass is so intense!!! It's great!!! It's rapidly climbing my top anime list, episode for episode now.
I recommend it!! You'll at least need a "Shingeki no Kyojin"-stomach though. Damn.
It's so exciting, and it's very hard to stop watching! Currently I'm at episode 16 out of 22.

I don't know if anyone's watched "Shinsekai Yori" (which is one of the most amazing anime shows ever fucking created), but that's what Pasycho-Pass reminds me the most of. They're both about flawed society systems that end up backfiring. Somehow I see Psycho-Pass as a bit of a milder version of that, but it's definitely more grotesque and somehow more gruesome too.

Man, I wish I didn't drop this show back when it aired...
Quote from: Jompa on March 21, 2014, 11:06:55 AMFinished Psycho-Pass (well, up to the current). Wawawiwa it was amazing. I am so hyped for the upcoming second season and movie.

EDIT: btw, season 2 is the sickest, goriest, craziest shit I've ever seen. Episode 4 gave me an hour of hiccups.
Birdo for Smash

K-NiGhT

I've recently gotten around to reading the Pokemon Adventures manga, and I highly reccomend it to any Pokemon fan. It's how I think the series was supposed to be before it became for younger children. Definitely worth a read. It'll take a while to catch up though, as it's still ongoing! Lol. I'm still on Gold/Silver/Crystal.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

SlowPokemon

No....the manga is very much for children. There's no objectionable content. It's still very enjoyable though.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: SlowPokemon on November 03, 2014, 12:56:33 PMNo....the manga is very much for children. There's no objectionable content. It's still very enjoyable though.
There's blood and curse words and pokemon being chopped in half

SlowPokemon

It's nothing a ten-year-old wouldn't be able to read. It's very very much for kids like everything else Pokemon haha

SuperFireKirby

I consider Pokemon getting chopped in half "not suitable for kids", but that's just me. Actually, that's probably most people's opinion.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

K-NiGhT

All I'm saying is that it's a lot darker than the anime and the games.

Echo

Quote from: K-NiGhT on November 03, 2014, 01:56:48 PMThere's blood and curse words and pokemon being chopped in half

What stood out more to me was the part where some Magmar get frozen and then crushed to bits. Was also kinda dumb seeing a flaming Pokemon like Magmar get frozen, but still.

But I agree with Slow that it's still suitable for children, seeing as I was reading it even back when I was still in elementary school.

Quote from: K-NiGhT on November 03, 2014, 02:25:26 PMAll I'm saying is that it's a lot darker than the anime and the games.

I'd argue that the games have reasonably dark concepts, even though the games don't present them like they're a big deal.
Spoiler
Like how Red/Blue had Marowak's death by Team Rocket, or Mewtwo's suffering through experiments for years by Mr. Fuji, or Black/White 2 with Nate/Rosa almost getting killed by Ghetsis and Kyurem, or even X/Y, where Team Flare's plot is literally about committing a genocide, with Pokemon sacrifices being used to power their super-weapon in the first place. And then there's still the Pokedex entries, especially those for the Ghost Pokemon.
[close]

I also felt that the manga gets lighter after the G/S/C arc too, but I won't spoil anything, and it doesn't stop it from being awesome. I liked the R/S and D/P arcs the most, although I've fallen behind since I'm not even done B2/W2 yet.

Maelstrom

Alright, doing some research based on another recommendation.
How is Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World)? Would my mom kill me if I watched it?

Jompa

Shinsekai Yori is among the fifth best shows I've ever seen. It is a horror mystery, set in a seemingly dystopian and strangely homosexual (at some points anyways) future about a group of village kids who find out stuff they're not supposed to find out, and all the crazy consequences it has for them later in life. What the show really has going for itself is how exciting it is from start to finish, and how massive the build up is right until the end. Having the mysteries unfold slowly throughout the last part of the show strangely just contributes to this build-up, instead of cooling it down. The show doesn't have jump-scares or anything like that, and there are no ghosts and stuff, though there are super-natural abilities in the mix, so it works more like a thriller than a horror. But there are a lot of truly shocking and gruesome scenes with blood and death, so I kinda think your mom would kill you if you watched it, which is a real shame.
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom

And I thought the premise sounded cool.... Is there anything like that without too much blood to recommend?

Jompa

Sadly, no.
Only shows that have gotten close to reminding me of Shinsekai Yori are Psycho-Pass and Shiki, both of which are exceptionally gruesome and blood-filled...
Higurashi and Elfen Lied kinda does too, but those mainly remind me of it because of the gore, and not because of similarity in the excitement or story.

Seriously, why can't there be more shows like Shinsekai Yori? It's fucking brilliant!! #3 most long lasting hangover I've ever had...
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom

Crud. Well, I guess I'll have a lot to watch when I leave for college. :P (Not that I'll have time.....)
idk what I'll watch after Death Note....

SlowPokemon

Maybe try one of the several we've already recommended to you :P