News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

What are you playing right now?

Started by ALPRAS, July 14, 2009, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

I got back to playing Super Mario Sunshine. I've collected 52 Shines so far, and I can tell it is the most frustrating Mario game I have ever played. I'm stuck on all the "Secret" levels, mainly because my GameCube controller keeps messing with the joystick. If I leave Mario alone, he will start walking to the left on his own. That is what makes beating "Secret of the Village Underside" impossible.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Sebastian

Quote from: LeviR.star on December 24, 2016, 07:09:47 AMIf I leave Mario alone, he will start walking to the left on his own. That is what makes beating "Secret of the Village Underside" impossible.
Do you have the generic GameCube controller? I ate through 2 "GameCube" controllers in less than 6 months. They were the crappy generic ones. I finally got the real GameCube controller and I've had it for almost two years. It's still as good as the day I got it.

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: LeviR.star on December 24, 2016, 07:09:47 AMI got back to playing Super Mario Sunshine. I've collected 52 Shines so far, and I can tell it is the most frustrating Mario game I have ever played. I'm stuck on all the "Secret" levels, mainly because my GameCube controller keeps messing with the joystick. If I leave Mario alone, he will start walking to the left on his own. That is what makes beating "Secret of the Village Underside" impossible.
:DDDDDDDDD AWESOMENESS!!!!! (Not the controller thing, my condolences for that)
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

LeviR.star

Quote from: Sebastian on December 24, 2016, 08:48:49 AMDo you have the generic GameCube controller? I ate through 2 "GameCube" controllers in less than 6 months. They were the crappy generic ones. I finally got the real GameCube controller and I've had it for almost two years. It's still as good as the day I got it.
Mine is purple, does that mean it's the generic kind?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mikey

that sounds like a user error to me, seabass.  We've had all 5 of our gamecube controllers since we first got them and they still work perfectly.

Generally a Control Stick issue is from the Control Stick being gummy and angling in that direction before the gamecube is turned on
unmotivated

LeviR.star

mikey

I'm not 100% sure, but I bet you could find a gamecube controller cleaning kit similar to an NES controller cleaning kit that gives you the stuff you need.
You'd almost certainly have to take it apart to get a complete clean on it though

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV4HeWmtZws
google

edit2: at 3:08 you can see him pull out the control stick and there's a lot of dirt and junk on it.  Using a safe sanitizer on that to clean it all up then waiting for it to dry might help.  Make sure you don't use anything heavy duty, because we were fixing a gamecube and the cleaner we used corroded the paint on the open button and got it stuck, causing the top of the gamecube to not stay closed.
unmotivated

Sebastian

Quote from: LeviR.star on December 24, 2016, 09:10:20 AMMine is purple, does that mean it's the generic kind?
It depends. By the generic brand, I don't mean Nintendo. I'm referring to the crappy ones you can get off of Amazon or your local video game store (they are usually the ones you get that are brand new).
Examples:
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-GameCube-Controller-Nintendo-Pack/dp/B01KY1M264/ref=sr_1_13?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1482622562&sr=1-13&keywords=gamecube+controller

https://www.amazon.com/Gen-Gamecube-Compatible-Controller-Indigo/dp/B000UQCER6/ref=sr_1_7?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1482622562&sr=1-7&keywords=gamecube+controller

These are GameCube/Wii compatible, not the official Nintendo brand.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 24, 2016, 11:31:35 AMthat sounds like a user error to me, seabass.  We've had all 5 of our gamecube controllers since we first got them and they still work perfectly.
Nope.
I'm not referring to the original GameCube controllers, but rather the cheap, generic, controllers that are compatible with GameCubes/Wiis. See the examples above. I got two of these generic brands in the past and they both broke within a couple months. The joysticks wore out etc. I had the same issue as Levi here.
After that I got the original Nintendo-made GameCube controller and I've had that ever since.

Quote from: LeviR.star on December 24, 2016, 01:25:27 PMHow do I make it not gummy?
First things first. Is it gummy? The problem that you described sounds like the problem I had, which is why I brought up the controller quality. It could also be loose.
Gently shake the controller. If it's loose, the joystick should rotate or shake back and forth along with the controller. If it's gummy, the joystick should stay stationary while you shake the controller. 

If you do in fact have the original Nintendo controller, ignore everything I said xD

Latios212

Quote from: Sebastian on December 24, 2016, 03:46:12 PMThese are GameCube/Wii compatible, not the official Nintendo brand. Nope.
this is exactly why I don't buy this trash yep
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

I made that mistake twice xD
I knew something was up after the second one broke. I later found a legit Nintendo GC controller at a flea market. Man, was I lucky. It was practically brand new and super cool. I've had that for a while and I still use it daily.

mikey

when I hear generic I think first party lol
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Yeah I only buy Nintendo licensed/branded products for Nintendo consoles, even chargers
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

BlackDragonSlayer

I beat Transformers: Devastation and Armikrog. Both were good games, but Armikrog has a ridiculously lengthy backstory for such a short game.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

MaestroUGC

I forgot Armikrog was a thing, how does it fare against the Neverhood? I've been meaning to LP it.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

BlackDragonSlayer

Haven't played The Neverhood, but Armikrog is fairly standard for a point-and-click adventure, though in terms of length it's more comparable to Machinarium, I'd say (or maybe just a little shorter? It's been a while since I played Machinarium). There are a few puzzles that are really tedious, and none that are astoundingly difficult (perhaps one or two where you'll really feel like using a guide), but it's enjoyable. Partway through the second part of the game, there's a massive exposition text dump (though not necessary and entirely skippable, it's worthwhile, IMO), so be prepared for that.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber