News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreekGeek

Quote from: Mike on June 14, 2009, 08:02:00 AMYeah I agree, impossible to get drunk with half a beer unless you weight like 10 pounds. I need 12 beers just to be tipsy. Drinking sucks now, way too tolerant.
I don't get it either but it is possible, trust me.

Brassman388

random_goldfish

Even if I haven't eaten ALL day, it still takes me 3 beers before I feel anything...
Mairéad Murphy-Irish extraornaire fiddles on the roof and where ever she damn well pleases. ^_^

Cobraroll

A person will start to feel the effects of alcohol when the amount of alcohol in the blood is roughly 0.3 per mil (0.3 millilitres per liter, or 0.0003 litres of alcohol per liter blood). That's one unit of alcohol per 3000 units of blood. More or less.

One beer usually contains 4-6% alchohol. I'll calculate with 5% here, to make it easier. If we assume that each beer bottle contains half a litre of beer, that's 0,0125 litres of pure alcohol per half bottle of beer. 12.5 millilitres, to get a number to calculate with:

In a normal person, blood accounts for 7% of the body weight.

For our amount of alcohol to be 0.3 per mil, we have the equation:
Number of litres of blood needed to not feel the effects of alcohol after drinking 12.5 millilitres of the stuff = x

12.5/x = 0.3
0.3x = 12.5
x= 12.5/0.3
x= 41.67

For that to be 7% of the person's body weight, the person has to weigh:

((41.67/7)*100)kg = 595.24 kilograms. So yeah, if I'm not mistaken, half a bottle of beer is enough to get any person a little fuzzy. However, this doesn't make much sense, as using these calculations, ten bottles of beer would send a rhino kneeling. But the answer is simple:

ALPRAS must be a rhino.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Brassman388

Quote from: random_goldfish on June 14, 2009, 01:10:55 PMEven if I haven't eaten ALL day, it still takes me 3 beers before I feel anything...

Wow, that sounds lame. Sorry.

random_goldfish

In my defense...I'm Irish. (I know...stereo types suck...but...hehe)
Mairéad Murphy-Irish extraornaire fiddles on the roof and where ever she damn well pleases. ^_^

Brassman388

So what does that make you? An anti-stereotype?

ALPRAS

Quote from: Cobraroll on June 14, 2009, 01:12:27 PMA person will start to feel the effects of alcohol when the amount of alcohol in the blood is roughly 0.3 per mil (0.3 millilitres per liter, or 0.0003 litres of alcohol per liter blood). That's one unit of alcohol per 3000 units of blood. More or less.

One beer usually contains 4-6% alchohol. I'll calculate with 5% here, to make it easier. If we assume that each beer bottle contains half a litre of beer, that's 0,0125 litres of pure alcohol per half bottle of beer. 12.5 millilitres, to get a number to calculate with:

Number of litres of blood needed to not feel the effects of alcohol after drinking 12.5 millilitres of the stuff = x

12.5/x = 0.3
0.3x = 12.5
x= 12.5/0.3
x= 41.67

((41.67/7)*100)kg = 595.24 kilograms. So yeah, if I'm not mistaken, half a bottle of beer is enough to get any person a little fuzzy. However, this doesn't make much sense, as using these calculations, ten bottles of beer would send a rhino kneeling. But the answer is simple:

ALPRAS must be a rhino.

Half a bottle? Whats the size of your bottles? Ours is about  0.3 litres...
My height is 55Kg

random_goldfish

Quote from: Brassman388 on June 14, 2009, 02:43:49 PMSo what does that make you? An anti-stereotype?

Well, no...it takes a lot to get me drunk. It's the Irish blood. : )

Brassman388

Quote from: random_goldfish on June 14, 2009, 04:47:43 PM
Quote from: Brassman388 on June 14, 2009, 02:43:49 PMSo what does that make you? An anti-stereotype?

Well, no...it takes a lot to get me drunk. It's the Irish blood. : )

3 beers isn't much. I was referring to you getting drunk so easily. Not an insult. Sorry, should of clerified.

SirIngusBingus

I don't drink beer. I'm Italian, I drink WINE, thank you.

...And honestly, I really only drink on holidays, birthdays, etc. Special occasions. I'm no drunkard.

Brassman388

Well, not to insult you or anything, but those who get defensive are the ones who usually are. Calm down, no one was calling you a drunk tard. If you don't drink, often, then just say so, there's no need for a huge uncalled for explanation of why you don't drink. Race doesn't give a shit about what you drink either. Just because you're italian doesn't mean crap. I don't like stereotypes, let alone, those that tend to put others on a pedistal. So stop it, you either drink, or you don't. You choose.

GreekGeek

I can't drink because of my meds. Which sucks, but is quite convenient. I'll never have a hang-over.

Brassman388

Cobraroll

Quote from: ALPRAS on June 14, 2009, 03:21:38 PM
Quote from: Cobraroll on June 14, 2009, 01:12:27 PMA person will start to feel the effects of alcohol when the amount of alcohol in the blood is roughly 0.3 per mil (0.3 millilitres per liter, or 0.0003 litres of alcohol per liter blood). That's one unit of alcohol per 3000 units of blood. More or less.

12.5/x = 0.3
0.3x = 12.5
x= 12.5/0.3
x= 41.67

ALPRAS must be a rhino.

Half a bottle? Whats the size of your bottles? Ours is about  0.3 litres...
My height is 55Kg

I think a standard beer bottle is 0.5 litres here. And I think I did a mistake somewhere in the calculations (I blame Wikipedia).

And to be 55Kg tall... That's like measuring radiation in Pascal...
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.