News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

The Will to Go On

Started by SlowPokemon, July 17, 2010, 07:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the ending?

It was a suitable finish.
Flawless.
What were you thinking? That was awful.
Not that great; it could have been better.
I still haven't read it.

SlowPokemon

As (one of) you know, I'm taking a break from Random Madness (pauses as the reader cheers) because of my internet problem. I'm going to post a Pokémon story, but one that's very different from both Steps to Simplicity and Emergence.

Don't expect it to be well-done because unlike Random Madness, I don't have the whole plot in my head. Don't really have anything past where I'm at in chapter one. I will ask you to be patient, though. This is my version of the story. I hope you can understand that.

The prologue is rather short, I'm not planning on the story to be that way. xP

I'm telling the story of... well, you'll see.

The Will to Go On
Prologue

Will woke with a start. Glancing around frantically, he leapt out of bed and ran as fast as he could down the hall, stumbling as he went. He paused outside his parents’ bedroom, panting heavily. Without hesitating, he knocked on their door and threw it open. He ran inside and shook his heavily snoring father.

“Dad!” he whimpered. “Daddy…wake up…”

His father’s eyelids fluttered slightly.

“W-Will?” he said sleepily. He looked at his bedside clock. “It’s three o’clock in the morning,” he yawned. Will’s father turned on the light and sat up, rubbing his eyes.

“Daddy,” whispered six-year-old Will, “I had a nightmare again.”

“Again?” said his father wearily.

Will nodded shakily.

“All right,” said his father resignedly. “Tell me about it.”

Will recounted the dream.

“…and then the phone rang… it was the hospital… and they said that Mommy had…Mommy had…died.”

His father sat up quickly.

“WHAT?” his father shouted, causing poor Will to jump horribly. “They said… she had…? Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that’s what they said, Will?”

Will simply stood there, his lip trembling.

“ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU DIDN’T MISHEAR?” roared his father, almost angrily.

Will began sobbing, softly at first, then giving off violent, shuddering wails, tears simply pouring down his face.

“Y-YES!” howled Will, then buried his face in his hands, still crying miserably. Will’s father felt a lump form in his throat. His eyes welled up. Within a moment they were both weeping, but Will’s father silently.

After a while, Will’s father lifted his son onto the bed and hugged him. He wiped his eyes before speaking.

“I apologize, Will,” said his father gently. “I know it’s – it’s not your fault.”

Will hiccupped and gradually stopped bawling.

“I’m sorry, Daddy,” whispered Will miserably.

“Don’t be,” insisted his father comfortingly. “It’s really not your fault.”

His son flashed a brief, weak, watery smile.

They sat there side by side for some time, Will’s father looking at the ceiling, Will himself huddled up, hugging his knees.

Just as the clock struck seven-thirty, the telephone rang.

Tearing up again, Will’s father took a deep breath and picked up the phone.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SuperFireKirby

Beginning with a tragedy, the perfect way to get readers to sympathize with the main character and to have a lingering sense of sadness throughout the story, making it more interesting. Good show, my friend.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

Feedback much appreciated, SFK.

And thank you.  ;D

DrP

Woah! Telekenetic abilities! That kinda freaked me out. And what SFK said was something along the lines what im going to say.

But all in all, great job!

(Im gonna post the first few chapters from the book im writing... still unedited of course)

SlowPokemon

Well, not to sound like a know-it-all, but technically telekinetic abilities means that you can move things with your mind...

Thanks anyway! :D

DrP

i use the term as a generality! i know what telekenetic abilities mean... ill just use psychic abilities from here on out

hes like that girl reading the tarot cards from live and let die

SlowPokemon

I know, I was just being irritating. :D

I was thinking... should he do the gym challenge? Because the gym leaders would probably be different back then...

Anyone know who Falkner's father is? I know it says he gave Falkner the gym... :P

DrP

he is "Unnamed Father"... so youre free to do that. Most of the Gym leaders are in their late teens... (Whitney is supposed to be 16)

Anyways, maybe make Phoebe the gym leader of Ecruteak, since it was a while ago!

But, maybe make him travel with Aaron or Flint... oh, and Bertha can be his grandmother!!!

For his father, it could be Chuck or even Professor Rowan!

SlowPokemon

o_O

You make it sound like all the gym leaders and elite four are related...

Well, obviously, Roark and Byron are, as well as Tate and Liza...

I think he's going to travel with Volkner and Karen.

As of the moment. But I like Aaron, and now you've got that in my head.

SlowPokemon

Okay, so I already finished chapter one and although I should probably wait to put it up, I can't resist. Try not to look at the poll until after you've finished the chapter! xP

Chapter One

Will had always had the gift â€" or, possibly, curse - of Sight. On a hot summer day, one-year-old Will looked up at the cloudless, sunny sky and spoke his first word â€" “rain”.

His parents looked quizzically at each other, but shrugged it off to congratulate Will on talking. Before ten minutes were over, gray clouds began to move in. In under fifteen, thunder could be heard in rumbling in the distance. Within twenty, buckets of water were being dumped unceremoniously on their heads, and they had hurried inside. Listening to the steady pounding of the rain, Will’s parents had gazed upon the odd little wonder they had been given, and Will slept on…

If his parents had thought that a coincidence, all skepticism was wiped clean from their minds in the next few years. Will seemed to know things others didn’t. He was particularly fond of knowing the weather â€" that was one area he never failed in. His parents always asked him the weather before they planned anything, and he always came through for them. He was extremely happy in his home in Eterna City.

Around the age of three, Will began to have strange dreams often, at least once a week, none of which failed to come true. He dreamt that their neighbor’s Skitty was run over. It happened the next day. One year he dreamt all of his Christmas presents accidentally â€" but he still acted surprised, so as not to make his parents upset. The strange thing was that no one could really figure out whether the dreams caused the future or simply saw what would happen. Will didn’t know himself.

Either way, around Will’s fifth birthday, he had a nightmare that his mother had fallen deathly sick.

She did.

She would spend the next year and a half in a hospital.

At the end of that year and a half, the other members of her family would receive a phone call.

Will took this loss extremely hard. He was very close to his mother, being an only child. His nightmares came far more frequently after that, sometimes on a nightly basis.

Soon after his mother’s death, Will’s father decided to move with his son to a small town in the Johto called New Bark. Perhaps he was thinking that some fresh air, maybe some friends would get Will out of his slump. I really don’t know. If that is what he was thinking, though, he was absolutely right â€" Will quickly became far healthier than he ever had been. He also made two friends, who would become the best friends he ever had…for some time, at least… His best friends were named Karen and Aaron, both of whom lived in New Bark Town.

Will and his father lived peacefully in New Bark Town for seven years. Will was anxiously awaiting his fourteenth birthday so he could start his Pokémon journey.

For those of you wondering, rules were quite different back when Will was starting out. Pokémon were considered highly dangerous creatures, and it was the law that one needed to be at least fourteen to handle them. This was utter nonsense, of course, and Professor Birch of Hoenn led a campaign to change the rules during Will’s sixteenth year. He succeeded, as you probably have figured out, and while Professor Birch was not exactly the most…orthodox…of professors, he is remembered and respected for this even today.

Will would have the happiest, and also saddest, time of his life when he set out to train his own Pokémon.

And our story begins there…

â€œWill!”

â€œCan’t hear you…” mumbled Will.

â€œWILL!”

â€œFive more minutes…” muttered Will.

â€œWILL! GET UP!”

Will jerked awake.

â€œComing, Dad!” he yelled, leaping out of his bed and making it hastily. He threw some clothes on and collected his backpack. This was it…Today was the day…

â€œWILL!” shouted his father. “YOU HAVE FIVE MINUTES TO BE AT THE LAB!”

Will bolted down the steps in a frenzy.

â€œI know, Dad!” he yelled. “I have time!”

â€œFOUR minutes!” corrected his father urgently.

Will smiled and met his father at the door. They hugged awkwardly.

â€œStay safe,” said his father gruffly. He was smiling, but his eyes told Will that he was serious.

Will nodded.

â€œThree minutes!” said his father, glancing at the clock.

â€œRight!” said Will, and ran out the door toward Professor Elm’s Laboratory. He rushed inside just as the clock struck eight.

Will grinned sheepishly at the sight that awaited him. Aaron, his green mess of hair shining loudly, was sitting in an armchair, bent forward in an anxious position. He looked up, saw Will, and smiled in a friendly way. Karen was standing up. Her arms were folded and she did not look happy.

â€œWell, Professor Elm,” she said sardonically, “I think that everyone’s here now.”

â€œI wasn’t late!” said Will defensively. “I was just… on time.”

â€œYes, well, the other group has already picked their Pokémon, and we said we’d wait for you,” snarled Karen. “So we don’t get the starter Pokémon we were counting on.”

Will stared guiltily at Aaron, his heart sinking.

â€œWe don’t get Pokémon?” he asked, dreading the answer.

â€œOf course you get Pokémon!” said Professor Elm scornfully. “Do you really think I would call you here without a backup plan?”

Will looked at Professor Elm. Actually, that was exactly the type of thing absentminded Professor Elm would do.

â€œWell, I do have a backup plan. I’ve received three Pokémon recently whose evolutions are currently unknown. We need you three to train each to train one on a Pokémon journey, and immediately notify us of their evolutions.”

â€œSo… we only get to train one?” said Karen, horrified.

â€œOf course not!” laughed Professor Elm. “You can train as many as you like. But I do have a suggestion.”

â€œA…suggestion?” said Will cautiously.

â€œYes,” said Elm, looking serious. “Now, as you know, the Pokémon regions are setting up something called the Pokémon Gym Challenge.”

The trio nodded, puzzled.

â€œGym leaders train one specific type of Pokémon,” said Elm, pacing back and forth. “And we have all the applicants. But the regions are…shall we say, taking it a step further. They’re forming something called the Pokémon League, where one fights four strong trainers and then, should they succeed, the regional Champion.” Elm turned to face the teenagers. “As of now, our region has no applicants for the Elite Four. I suggest that you each train a separate type of Pokémon…”

â€œâ€¦And register to be in the Elite Four?!” said Will incredulously.

Elm’s face fell.

â€œYes, I’d assumed you wouldn’t want…” he began, but Aaron cut him off.

â€œThat would be frickin’ SWEET!” said Aaron enthusiastically.

Elm blinked.

â€œThat would be really cool,” said Karen, forgetting her anger in the excitement of the moment. “Wouldn’t it, Will?”

Will looked over at Karen. Her eyes were shining excitedly and she was looking at him apprehensively.

â€œThat would be amazingly cool,” agreed Will.

â€œI’m glad you’re so eager,” said Elm happily. “Alright, let’s get you three your first Pokémon!”

DrP

I like it!

You're going back into the past to the formation... but remember one thing Will is new to the Elite Four and Karen is a seasoned veteran (but you might be able to change this around)

I know mine is taking place in the future! But I do see one discrepency. There is something about Will's 14th birthday and starting his journey, and then Prof. Birch campaigning to lower the age at his 16th birthday... is this just showing how it changed to ten years old at the time?

Also, I'd hate to be the dampener, but Pokémon were being battled with long before people like Bertha and all the old people were born... in the same type of Pokémon League (but dont take this advice)

Overall, it's shaping to be a great story!

SlowPokemon

Thanks so much! So far it's one of my favorite stories I've written. I voted for Smoochum. Which may mean that your vote has no say! xD

Why I voted on my own story, I don't know. ('-_-)

DrP

I didn't vote yet. I can't make up my mind  :P

SlowPokemon

Oh, really? Wonder who voted for Slowpoke. A Guest, maybe? :P Or was it SFK?

I don't know if he's keeping up with this, though.  :D

EDIT: I voted for Smoochum! :D Sorry, it's changed to Slowpoke now!

SuperFireKirby

I didn't notice the voting panel until just now. And keep in mind my pokemon knowledge doesn't extend very far past generation 1. Not sure what a smoochum even is except it most likely has big lips, gathering from the name.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!