Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One

Started by SlowPokemon, November 29, 2010, 05:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

What did you all think of it? I heard it wasn't great from others who had read the books, but I was very pleasantly surprised--it was a great addition to the series.

Favorite scenes/effects:
  • I loved the scene where Hermione was reading out loud--nice animation there, it seemed more like something from a Burton movie than that from a Potter film.
  • So many awesome people returned--John Hurt was Ollivander again, Warwick Davis as Griphook, Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange, Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood... My personal favorite actress was Imelda Staunton, who reprised her role as Professor Umbridge. I loved the little "Tee-hee" laugh she did; great job all around.
  • It stuck to the book very well, hardly any changes.
  • I liked the use of some very subtle film techniques--such as, did anyone else notice that the whole movie housed very little color? It was very toned down and almost black-and-white. Very cool.
  • Honorable mention to the Godric's Hollow scene for scaring the crap out of everyone in the whole theater.

Things that were wrong/should have been better:
  • Dobby. I love the little guy. He's awesome. But...it seems kind of random to bring him back in the last movie when they haven't included his other (admittedly minor) roles in the series. I mean, I can see why. But it could have seemed out-of-place and awkward to people who haven't read the book.
  • It ended really abruptly. I mean (spoilers), Voldemort breaks open the coffin, takes the wand, shoots fireworks into the air, the scene fades out...and then credits? It was a bit of a sudden end.

Post your thoughts here if you're a Potter fan. :)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FallenPianist

You sum it up pretty well. I especially agree about how Lestrange and Lovegood were awesome.
Oh and also add a special mention for Alexandre Desplat's soundtrack.

SlowPokemon

I already discussed that in the "non-VG music" and "I <3 soundtracks" threads. ;) But you're right, it was epic.

Harvest

It wasn't very good. 

Maybe a 6/10. 

If they showed Emma Watson's tits it would have been an 8 at least.
-

Maretocks

Quote from: Harvest on December 01, 2010, 02:38:49 PMIf they showed Emma Watson's tits it would have been an 8 at least.
Don't be silly, Harvest.
Emma Watson doesn't have tits.

I didn't like it much. It received a big long meh from me. Truest to the book, but it was a crap film. Although, as a friend pointed out, it's set up for the 2nd movie to be fantastic. Setting all the plot points, tone, and characters. I'm looking forward to the 2nd.
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

Qew

Quote from: Harvest on December 01, 2010, 02:38:49 PMIf they showed Emma Watson's tits it would have been an 8 at least.

Although wtf was with that make out shadow mist scene, that was like "yup taunting ron taunting ron.... full on naked make out... totally" >_> I was half expecting her to dry hump Harry

SlowPokemon

It was really hard to imagine that scene in the book--suddenly a Harry and Hermione rise out of the locket, then kiss, horrifying Ron? But yeah, they made it rather weirder in the movie, if that's possible.

rushye

Part One is not much interesting.
I'm hoping part 2 will be grand since it's the last Harry Potter film.

I was expecting more from this Part one considering it's the 2nd to the last.

SlowPokemon

I think that the locket scene was the darkest part in the series. I mean...it's just so torturous.

Jub3r7

It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Raymondbl

I agree with most every single point made on here except Kefka's, and the one about dobby, since this is the only potter movie I've seen. 
The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

Jub3r7

Kefka didn't make a post in this thread? lol.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Raymondbl

omg I meant Harvest lol because Kefka usually says things like that. 
The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

fingerz

I've read all the books and Part 2 should be better than the first, though you can't have 2 without 1. :P
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn