News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Made mah day.

Started by ETFROXX, April 14, 2011, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaticFanatic

The most I would ever ask for is enough advice to give some solid google topics :P
Returns themselves are easy to file.. I just have to figure out how to manage not paying double taxes.
Eh I'll just wait until my W2 to start worrying :P

me irl
[close]

Greg

So my parents gave me 200$ to buy headphones!!!

Do you guys have any recommendations?

mikey

If you don't spend the 200 on headphones do you still get to keep the rest?  If so I'd say a 30 dollar pair from skullcandy or something.
unmotivated

Ruto

Ask Kefka. He saw a nice pair for $1500.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

KefkaticFanatic

Take a look at this: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

The main questions you want to ask are where you will primarily be using the headphones and what will you use them for (certain music genres, for games and movies, etc)

You will by default get a better soundstage with open headphones.  Last I read there isn't a precise explanation for why this is, but all the research shows that it works for some reason.  Possibly to do with sound bouncing off the back of closed headphones or something.

If you are to consider open, note that the downside is that they leak sound and don't provide great isolation.  So if you plan to wear these headphones when you are out of the house, or in a more public area where there may be a lot or noise or you wont want to bother people, that is a reason to get closed.

Open models to consider:

Sennheiser 558 ($130-180) or 598 ($190-250)
These are fantastic all-rounders that sound great with most all genres, and go very well with games and movies.  I find them to have the right amount of bass, but bassheads might find them lacking.  Super comfortable.

HifiMan HE-300 ($250)
I haven't heard these, but they are known to be great all-rounders.  Company has a great reputation for some of their other models.  Issue may be in comfort for long term wearing, but you may be able to upgrade the pads to velour (you can do so with the HE-400, unsure about HE-300)

Closed:

Audio Technica ATH M50 ($100-130)
They are a bit bassy, I've never really liked the sound as I found it a bit dull for my tastes, but many people like them as intro cans.

BeyerDynamic DT-770 80ohm ($175-250)
I can't really say much about them since I've only tried them on once in a store.  They feel nice, and are supposed to be a bit more bassy.

With many headphones around this price range, you will see improvements in quality using a nice DAC or headphone amp, however it usually isn't necessary for the initial purchase.  Just something to consider as an upgrade later on.  I would highly recommend finding a local shop to audition a few pairs in with your own music, just so you can really get a feel for the sound you want as well as the fit of the headphones.

Also be sure to ask around in the recommendations subforum on head-fi, as they are far more knowledgeable than me.  /r/headphones on reddit may be a good spot to check as well.

me irl
[close]

SuperFireKirby

Ugh, been trying to choose between closed and open cans for like the past month. Closed ones are more practical and better fit my uses for them, but dat open back soundstage can't be beat.

Probably gonna end up going with closed-backs tho and then its on to the difficult choice between Senn HD380's and Shure SRH840s.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

KefkaticFanatic

I know I've seen the HD380s at best buy, so that would be a good play to try those out.  The Shures I believe you can find at music stores like Guitar Center (maybe Senns too) so I would rec trying those there.

When deciding between two, most important things are how they sound to you and how they feel long term.  The best solution is to buy both and try them out for a week, returning the one you don't like, but depending on where you do that you may lose some small amount of money.

me irl
[close]

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Waddle Bro

Quote from: Greg on December 26, 2013, 10:03:08 AMSo my parents gave me 200$ to buy headphones!!!

Do you guys have any recommendations?
I have a pair of headphones that came with my Nokia slide whatssitsnumber.

Although the 200 ain't enough to cover the shipping

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on December 26, 2013, 01:17:55 PMWhen deciding between two, most important things are how they sound to you and how they feel long term.  The best solution is to buy both and try them out for a week, returning the one you don't like, but depending on where you do that you may lose some small amount of money.
Yeah, made that mistake with my M50s, which I just bought online without ever trying them out first and it took 3 months to break in(it involved a lot of bending) to make them bearable to wear for more than an hour. Love their sound, but I'd only recommend them to people with small heads and/or ears.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

JDMEK5

At long last, got the Pokémon X/Y OST (*paraphrasing there) on iTunes!
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

FSM-Reapr

New Year's to be spent at the Alps. B]

Ruto

Gahhhh at least I'm not the only one here without money to do that xD *cough*

Anyway, Kefka bought me Hyrule Historia. How did he know I didn't have that yet? :DDDDD

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

FireArrow

Ehh, I have the M30 and it works fine for me. Then again, I've never really tried higher quality headphones.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

DrP

I just completed the first section of the CPA exam!!!

3 more to go, but I feel accomplished so far!