Made mah day.

Started by ETFROXX, April 14, 2011, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaticFanatic

I wouldn't buy XFX, they have the shoddiest support imaginable.  The people are nice when you talk to them but the overall service is completely unreliable and inconsistent.

There's also the 3 faulty cards in a row I received from them...

me irl
[close]

DrP

Quote from: Winter on December 03, 2013, 08:19:38 PMWith modern motherboards, I would ALWAYS reccommend 2 DIMMS rather than 1, this allows them to run in Dual Channel together and providing you with a much higher throughput. Personally I run 2x8gb because I don't want to be limited with 16gb with no slots left.

Yes, get another identical stick of memory.

Also 7870 Ghz edition, heck yes! It's nearly 2x as fast as my graphics card (650 Ti Boost OC'd to 1300Mhz)
OK. Good to know. I have a bunch of MIRs coming in, so I would be able to get another DIMM once I get the money from them.

Also I never thought I would find this, but I got all my parts on Amazon instead of Newegg... It was like $45 cheaper.

And also, AMD>nVidia. I have always had issues with nVidia GCs.

Also, I'm gonna get a Razer Mamba mouse and a Corsair K70 Keyboard (once I sell my Macbook)

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on December 03, 2013, 09:51:35 PMI wouldn't buy XFX, they have the shoddiest support imaginable.  The people are nice when you talk to them but the overall service is completely unreliable and inconsistent.

There's also the 3 faulty cards in a row I received from them...
Well, we shall see. I need a GC with Mini DP

Winter: Question:
So my board has a Thunderbolt port that I can plug my display into (I have an Apple Display) -- is there any way I can use the graphics card without having to plug into it. Because Thunderbolt would also give me access to the ports in the back and use the speakers on the display.

Winter

I literally have no idea, but I'd assume you have to use it.

Also, this being my 3rd NVidia card now, I haven't ever had an issue, and they stay quite cool. (Minus the old GTX 275.. that thing is flaming hot!)

DrP

Yeah, my current card sucks... it gets hot really easily. Its a GT 650M... i guess its the mobile card that makes it bad.

This card is supposed to run at 35º and tops out at 65º, anything above 85º is bad. really anything over 65º will shorten the life of the card a lot.

I REALLY CANT WAIT THOUGH!!!! I get everything by Friday and I've already started the build (SSD and DVD drive installed in the case!)

Winter

Very nice! And yeah, well without water cooling, most NVidia cards, and most high-end AMD cards will heat up quite a bit. Mine runs 45C Idle and 65C load, but mostly cause the sound card sits under the GPU. It used to Idle 19C without the sound card

DrP

Im gonna wait for a while until I get my Bitcoin card and some more monies.

But I'm excited to see what this card's hashpower is gonna be for mining!

and now I just realized that I should be building computers for a living... instead of crunching numbers (which I am really really good at) -- If I didn't go into accounting, I would've been an engineer and I would have done computer engineering

Ill post pics of the setup once it's complete!

Also, car pic (hipstah style)

Winter

About 400 Mhash/s

7970 would have proven about 685 Mhash/s

Olimar12345

I really can't figure out why my computer doesn't work. After getting it checked out I was told it was the motherboard. Last night a friend and I switched out motherboards with a new one I bought, along with a few other parts, and it is yielding the same results. It won't connect to a monitor or turn off (have to switch off the power supply). Though we weren't able to fix it, I did learn a lot about the components inside...

Any suggestions?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SuperFireKirby

Did you check to make sure your new motherboard was compatible with all of the computer's other hardware?

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Olimar12345

Yes, it's actually very similar to the one it was replacing as well.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

KefkaticFanatic

Sounds like either PSU or GPU issue given the display problem.

me irl
[close]

Olimar12345

Gah I'm just ranting. It's just frustrating having to start over from scratch after you've wasted all your money and you can't get an answer as to why it won't work.

Winter

Well I'm frustrated too! All I wanted was to see it work for you! IIRC< it didn't matter whether we used onboard graphics or a discrete GPU...

Amount of memory did not matter either... regardless the configuration...

Motherboard was replaced

I can't see a reason why it'd be not displaying...

You said you replaced a few other parts? Like what? CPU, Memory?

I seriously thing we're running out pf components to blame this on.

IT MUST BE THE CHASSIS

get a new case. it's a cursed. Oh and before we rule it out.. 'could' be the PSU.... Especially if it's not powering the graphics properly. If that 6-pin is loose, it will turn on but not display.... or sometimes it'll turn on anyway and the drivers will yell at you

Olimar12345

The psu was one of the things we replaced too, just saying. Monitor works great for running dual on my laptop. Seriously I have no idea.

Edit: also, my graphics card was supposed to work just fine, says my brother who gave it to me. Even if it was screwed up, we tried it with and without it.

Winter