News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

A career in music composition?

Started by Master_Z, June 11, 2011, 09:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starrgrl24

I actually want to be a composer as well...more specifically a video game music composer...buuuut I know I can only get that job by chance so that is why I'm studying for another career. Honestly...you don't really need a fancy degree in composition to be a composer.

Here is my plans:

-major in music technology/audio engineering to get close to the video game business because I will gain experience with technology
-earn a performance degree at piano for musical experience
-continue to compose music as hobby
-if I EVER get the opportunity to submit my music for a video game design company I will definitely take advantage.

Basically...my true goal is to be a composer for a video game design company...but I am extremely prepared if I don't ever get that job. I will at least have the knowledge of technology that will give me an advantage. :) I'm totally happy if I become a piano teacher or work at a studio. Of course what I'm doing is gonna be pretty tough because it will require for me to go through an intensive engineering program and/or computer science. 0=

That's just an idea on what you can do. ;) Majoring in computer science and a minor in music will also be a nice choice...but it's all up to you. If you're great with composing, then feel free to get a degree in composition! As long as you know what you're getting yourself into. xD Music...is definitely hard to get a career in if you do not work hard enough.

I am at a community college as a piano performance major, but I will be taking calculus and physics to prepare for the music tech/aud. engineering when I transfer. :P

I like chocolate. :3

Shadoninja

http://www.audiogang.org/index.php
y'all might be interested in this.
"The Game Audio Network Guild (G.A.N.G.) is a non-profit organization established to educate the masses in regards to interactive audio by providing information, instruction, resources, guidance and enlightenment not only to its members, but to content providers and listeners throughout the world. "
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Tangy

I'm planning on majoring in business administration, and minoring in music.

Sekter77

I'd like to do something musical in college, but my schedule is packed full as it is so it's not very likely I'll be able to do anything unless I go back to school years down the road. If I could though, it would be cool to study Sound Engineering or Theory. Music History would probably be fun to learn too.
Guitar and video games.

DrP

Quote from: Tangy on June 19, 2011, 05:00:14 PMI'm planning on majoring in business administration, and minoring in music.
I almost had a music minor, but then I realized I can graduate a year early, so I can only take 1 minor, being French.

But it's glad to see another business major around here (or planning, that is)

starrgrl24

Quote from: Sekter77 on June 26, 2011, 08:14:43 PMI'd like to do something musical in college, but my schedule is packed full as it is so it's not very likely I'll be able to do anything unless I go back to school years down the road. If I could though, it would be cool to study Sound Engineering or Theory. Music History would probably be fun to learn too.

I actually have a friend who's doing just that. He graduated in aerospace engineering, but he's now at my community college in hoping to transfer to the University of Maryland school of music. It's never too late to get back into music and it'll be great if you do come back to study music! Pretty hard to find a school in sound engineering...or in this area. >.>

I like chocolate. :3

DrP

Quote from: starrgrl24 on June 29, 2011, 02:58:42 PMI actually have a friend who's doing just that. He graduated in aerospace engineering, but he's now at my community college in hoping to transfer to the University of Maryland school of music. It's never too late to get back into music and it'll be great if you do come back to study music! Pretty hard to find a school in sound engineering...or in this area. >.>
We have a sound engineering major... its cause my school's largest internal college, is the college of engineering -- like 8 of our engineering majors are nationally ranked in the top 10

Oritendo

SlowPokemon

Never too young to start thinking :P I would love to do this but it's not likely I will be able to make it go through. So I think I will keep the music arranging and composing as more of a side thing.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]