News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

A career in music composition?

Started by Master_Z, June 11, 2011, 09:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master_Z

I'm just wondering if any of you are actually in college studying music and want to pursue a career in that field. I'm curious to know if you are hobbyists or what exactly. I'm thinking about making the leap and changing my major to music composition, but I'm just scared that there wouldn't be a job for me when I graduate because of the economy.

Olimar12345

I am a music major, and I'll be getting a degree in music education. Though I say education, I really want to write music-the education degree will just be to fall back on.
Composition is alot of fun! I composed my first song last semester and it's getting published this fall. I say give it a try, you'll have a good time, I guarantee.  ;)
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Master_Z

I'm wondering if I could do something similar to you -- get a bachelor's in music education and then get a masters in composition. My dream is to compose game music, but I do need something to fall back on for the mean time.

The Deku Trombonist

I'm doing a music degree, although I'm pretty much just focussing on playing as opposed to writing. Like Olimar, I'll probably get education diploma afterwards just as something to fall back on.

DrP

I hang around a lot of music majors, and I used to be a music minor. Our program requires a "Music Major" but concentrations in other things as part of the major: Composition, Education, Conducting, Sound Design, Sound Engineering, Music History, and Theory

Most of my music major friends plan to double major as something to fall back on, like English, History, Communications, Business or a Math or Science Degree (engineers can't double major -- they're prohibited)

All music majors must learn Piano and two other instruments proficiently for a senior solo recital in both of those instruments. We have a pretty nasty program, but it's good.

KefkaticFanatic

As far as I know, the chances of getting a reasonable job as a performing artist are incredibly slim, and I believe it's not too much of a greater chance just for composition.

Sound engineering on the other hand is a much more fruitful option, as you can still pursue your interest, perhaps more as a hobby, but still have a career based on your interests that you enjoy that would actually be more likely to land you a job.

You have to be pretty damn good to actually make a living as a composer or performer, and just because you and a few others think you're good doesn't mean that you would even be able to live off of your music.

me irl
[close]

Brassman388

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on June 11, 2011, 11:32:42 PMYou have to be pretty damn good to actually make a living as a composer or performer, and just because you and a few others think you're good doesn't mean that you would even be able to live off of your music.

Sad but true.

The Deku Trombonist

^Yup definitely. It takes so much time and effort, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, unless you're totally serious.

KefkaticFanatic

You likely would be much happier if you just kept it up as a hobby alongside another more realistic job anyway.

me irl
[close]

Brassman388

The way I plan on doing is is getting a career in music education, becoming a director or assistant director. Then having our group play the stuff that I write.

Doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Brassman388 on June 13, 2011, 01:17:56 AMThe way I plan on doing is is getting a career in music education, becoming a director or assistant director. Then having our group play the stuff that I write.

Doesn't seem like a bad idea.
who needs VSTs or Soundfonts when you got control of music students :P
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

fingerz

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on June 11, 2011, 11:32:42 PMYou have to be pretty damn good to actually make a living as a composer or performer, and just because you and a few others think you're good doesn't mean that you would even be able to live off of your music.
Gordon Goodwin.
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Brassman388

Quote from: Shadoninja on June 13, 2011, 10:36:05 PMwho needs VSTs or Soundfonts when you got control of music students :P

Haha. Exactly.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

fabbemannen

Well, I study to be something more regular and work with music in my sparetime
So I'm not screwed if I fail at music