News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The "Fixing the Sheets" Project

Started by Shadoninja, October 02, 2011, 09:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

I know Jompa already made a replacement of SSBM Fountain of Dreams for Fixing the Sheets project (a good one at that), but I didn't feel like it emulated the original quite right. It was really... chordy, too, unnecessarily so. As such, I felt inclined to make my own transcription. Enjoy~

(And Jompa, if you're reading this, please don't take offense. Your arrangement was really was good, it's just I really want the SSBM replacements to be as best as they can be.)

[GCN] Super Smash Bros. Melee:

"Fountain of Dreams":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

DonValentino

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Shadoninja

Updated the second post.

I hope the new format is somewhat easy to read.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Meta-Ridley

Really great, Bespinben. My only criticism is the last bar. I think the best way to finish it would be to use the final bar of the "Smashing...Live!" version of Fountain of Dreams. It would make it much more in character than the cadence you put at the end. Here's a link to the "Smashing....Live" version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUk9ao_MRKQ

Listen from about 2:45 onwards to get a feel of it.

Bespinben

Quote from: JDMEK5 on September 30, 2012, 12:05:22 PMNice cadence at the end. Perfect always beats plagal if you ask me.. (Just preference)
Quote from: Bespinben on September 30, 2012, 05:07:51 PMHaha, thanks. I was thinking of restating the somber intro for the ending like the "Smashing... Live!" version does, but I just decided not to. Makes it simpler, I guess.

Hmm, we got conflicting opinions here... what to do...

Bespinben

This is the map I probably fought on most, so I thought it should be the next one for which I would make a replacement, since it's got an awesome theme and all. The harmonies around measure 29+ were a pain to transcribe.

(This song is a modulating mess. If you got input on anything concerning accidentals, do share. I think I did an OK-ish job though.)
(In measure 36, by "faux sost.", I am referring to the knock-off sostenuto found in virtually all upright pianos and in some low-end grand pianos, the function of which lifts the dampers off the bass tones. This is essential for the repeated note section.)

"Final Destination":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Bespinben

Such a soothing song. Wouldn't expect that from your typical fighting game, but then again, Super Smash ain't your typical fighting game. I really like that it's a remake of the same song that plays in the Save Room in Kirby Super Star (and it's remake Ultra) during The Great Cave Offensive, as if the composers were trying to make a statement of how both games involved references to other Nintendo franchises (collecting various items from other franchises in Kirby Super Star, compared to battling various Nintendo characters in Melee).

Oh, and I need help with this track's nomenclature. I did hours of research, and there are two titles I see recurring: "All-Star Rest Area" and "All-Star Intro". SSBM has no official OST release, so there was no way to confirm which was the correct title.
If I could ask a favor, would someone please open up the sound test feature in Melee and tell me what it calls this track? I'd do it myself, but my half-sister last had the disc, and she has no clue where it is :/

"All-Star Rest Area":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Bespinben

I know Warioman already did this one, but his was still missing some parts.

"Kirby's Victory":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Meta-Ridley

Bespinben, your files for Kirby's victory are all MUS. Aside from that, very well done! You can say exactly the same for the All Stars Rest Area and Final Destination (especially awesome)!

Bespinben

Quote from: Meta-Ridley on October 09, 2012, 12:12:49 AMBespinben, your files for Kirby's victory are all MUS.
Woops. Fixed.

Quote from: Meta-Ridley on October 09, 2012, 12:12:49 AMvery well done! You can say exactly the same for the All Stars Rest Area and Final Destination (especially awesome)!

Thanks! Hope you don't mind my slower interpretation of the tempo in All Star Rest Area. I think I badly messed up with notating the modulations in Final Destination though.

Bespinben

At surface, if one compares my revision here with Hoji's original arrangement on-site, it would seem as if I actually wrote in fewer parts from the original song. However, I think the approach I have taken in this revision works a little bit better for emulating the original song on the piano.

"Link's Victory":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Bespinben

I wrote in "Edited by Bespinben", but now that I compare my replacement here to the original arrangement on-site, I'm questioning if that's a proper descripton :P

"Mario's Victory":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Bespinben

I'll let you guys figure out the actual track name for this :P I can't worry myself over details like that when I have so little time left here.

"Marth's Victory":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Meta-Ridley

Hey Bespinben, I thought I'd let you know that in Australia, most upright pianos "sostenuto" pedal is actually a silent pedal which places felt against the strings to dampen the sound. So, I can't actually do your final destination transcription. MY LIFE IS RUINED