News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Relationships

Started by ETFROXX, February 06, 2012, 02:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrydryn

Nope, but getting a potato would be nice. You get a nice symbolic gift and dinner in one nice convenient package!

SuperFireKirby

I gotta admit, getting a potato would be pretty awesome. I don't know why, but it would be. Rather that than some cheap chocolates.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

spitllama

Because you wouldn't expect it. WTF leads to bliss.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Ruto

As long as it's shaped like a heat, it's appropriate. You can poke holes in it and microwave it...or maybe that's just sweet potatoes.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

spitllama

Quote from: Ruto on February 14, 2012, 06:51:55 PMAs long as it's shaped like a heat, it's appropriate. You can poke holes in it and microwave it...or maybe that's just sweet potatoes.

Haha. It's a pun.

And if it's shaped like a heart it'd be sweet hearts.... or sweet tarts. teeheehee
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Wrydryn

I now urge you all to buy sweet potatoes, cut them into the shape of a heart, and give them to your significant other.

MaestroUGC

I've been reading this thread for a while and I've realized that most of you are far too young to be stressing out over these things. Aren't most of you in high school? Most of the issues described here all revolve around one fatal flaw: young people are selfish. We all are, don't try to deny it, it just comes part of the package of being young. It's just as well, I doubt any of you here are in these relationships hoping for it to last for years. If you are then I wish you the best. But since most of you are in high school, do you really think that your bf/gf are thinking totally selflessly. I know I didn't when I dated, and it's clear that neither are most of you; and that's fine. You are at a point in your life where you have very few responsibilities, maturation comes when those responsibilites grow.

I say "expect nothing" because I mean just that, expect nothing. Expectations come with time and habit, which in situations like these amounts to the order of many months, years possibly. If you give your bf/gf a gift out of the kindness of you heart, good for you; but unless they practice the same thing regularly, then they won't reciprocate. That's not a reflection on either of you, but its just a measure of longevity. After a year or so, you may find the two of you going out regularly, exchanging random little trinkets every now and then, and begin treating each other as a constant factor in each other's lives.

For those of you who have your eye on someone special, talk to them. You don't have to waltz up to them and ask them out, just find a common interest and start talking. If you want to date someone, figure out what you are looking for. If you just want to get into a relationship just to "give it a shot", I guarantee that it will not last very long unless you both decide that it is something worth pursuing. If you want to be dating someone for years to come, then figure out if they want the same.

Also, be wary of the distinction between Love and Lust. Both are powerful emotions that often feel the same upon first glance. An easy, but lengthy way to distinguish to two is to wait it out. Feelings of Lust will always give way to the next flavor of the week, Love is a bit stronger and will last longer. Be careful though, Love is not permanent, it is a fleeting emotion that requires constant nurture to keep alive and fresh. Every couple of months or so do something big romantically. Gestures like these are good way to keep things alive and prevent falling into a rut.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Jub3r7

Don't get me wrong, when I was in the relationship, I wanted it to last as long as possible.

I think at one point it may have been the same with her, but... she was the one who cut it off.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Wrydryn

I honestly think we could make our own season of How I Met Your Mother with the content in this thread.

fingerz

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 14, 2012, 07:21:33 PMI've been reading this thread for a while and I've realized that most of you are far too young to be stressing out over these things. Aren't most of you in high school? Most of the issues described here all revolve around one fatal flaw: young people are selfish. We all are, don't try to deny it, it just comes part of the package of being young. It's just as well, I doubt any of you here are in these relationships hoping for it to last for years. If you are then I wish you the best. But since most of you are in high school, do you really think that your bf/gf are thinking totally selflessly. I know I didn't when I dated, and it's clear that neither are most of you; and that's fine. You are at a point in your life where you have very few responsibilities, maturation comes when those responsibilites grow.
So true! I have learnt the exact same thing, but not through experience. I just know that at our age, relationships don't usually last and people don't take it seriously.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 14, 2012, 07:21:33 PMI say "expect nothing" because I mean just that, expect nothing. Expectations come with time and habit, which in situations like these amounts to the order of many months, years possibly. If you give your bf/gf a gift out of the kindness of you heart, good for you; but unless they practice the same thing regularly, then they won't reciprocate. That's not a reflection on either of you, but its just a measure of longevity. After a year or so, you may find the two of you going out regularly, exchanging random little trinkets every now and then, and begin treating each other as a constant factor in each other's lives.
Good! I'll keep that in mind for the future, especially if it's someone very important to me.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 14, 2012, 07:21:33 PMFor those of you who have your eye on someone special, talk to them. You don't have to waltz up to them and ask them out, just find a common interest and start talking. If you want to date someone, figure out what you are looking for. If you just want to get into a relationship just to "give it a shot", I guarantee that it will not last very long unless you both decide that it is something worth pursuing. If you want to be dating someone for years to come, then figure out if they want the same.
Some more good advice! Thank you! I always have trouble talking to a particular someone, so this should help me. :D

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 14, 2012, 07:21:33 PMAlso, be wary of the distinction between Love and Lust. Both are powerful emotions that often feel the same upon first glance. An easy, but lengthy way to distinguish to two is to wait it out. Feelings of Lust will always give way to the next flavor of the week, Love is a bit stronger and will last longer. Be careful though, Love is not permanent, it is a fleeting emotion that requires constant nurture to keep alive and fresh. Every couple of months or so do something big romantically. Gestures like these are good way to keep things alive and prevent falling into a rut.
SO TRUE! Some of my friends are idiots and are all into the lust thing. I would never find someone attractive if they didn't have a wonderful and unique personality. :)
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Jamaha

Quote from: bash.org#151227 +(10246)- [X]
IronChef Foicite: well, there's a lot of reasons
IronChef Foicite: i mean, roses only last like a couple weeks
IronChef Foicite: and that's if you leave them in water
IronChef Foicite: and they really only exist to be pretty
IronChef Foicite: so that's like saying
IronChef Foicite: "my love for you is transitory and based solely on your appearance"
IronChef Foicite: but a potato!
IronChef Foicite: potatos last for fucking ever, man
IronChef Foicite: in fact, not only will they not rot, they actually grow shit even if you just leave them in the sack
IronChef Foicite: that part alone makes it a good symbol
IronChef Foicite: but there's more!
IronChef Foicite: there are so many ways to enjoy a potato! you can even make a battery with it!
IronChef Foicite: and that's like saying "i have many ways in which I show my love for you"
IronChef Foicite: and potatos may be ugly, but they're still awesome
IronChef Foicite: so that's like saying "it doesn't matter at all what you look like, I'll still love you"

SlowPokemon

Quote from: fingerz on February 14, 2012, 09:00:38 PMSo true! I have learnt the exact same thing, but not through experience. I just know that at our age, relationships don't usually last and people don't take it seriously.
Good! I'll keep that in mind for the future, especially if it's someone very important to me.
Some more good advice! Thank you! I always have trouble talking to a particular someone, so this should help me. :D
SO TRUE! Some of my friends are idiots and are all into the lust thing. I would never find someone attractive if they didn't have a wonderful and unique personality. :)

Same, I had this conversation with roz recently: music >>>>> sex
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

ETFROXX

Quote from: Wrydryn on February 14, 2012, 08:18:50 PMI honestly think we could make our own season of How I Met Your Mother with the content in this thread.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

GreekGeek

Maestro, you want to become my psychiatrist? I'm sure you have more stuff to tell than she does.
And your potato discussion is just hilarious, I'm sorry. If someone would give me a potato, I'd just feel insulted. Yes, I'm aware of my nose being oversized.

ETFROXX

Quote from: GreekGeek on February 15, 2012, 08:00:27 AMMaestro, you want to become my psychiatrist? I'm sure you have more stuff to tell than she does.

Gee. Thanks.