News:

Are you on Discord? Join our server!

Main Menu

Relationships

Started by ETFROXX, February 06, 2012, 02:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

What actually qualifies as "experience"?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Altissimo

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 09, 2017, 04:05:14 PMWhat actually qualifies as "experience"?

I'd say having been in a relationship or two, being far enough past them that you can judge them with a clear eye and no bias for whatever reason, and I guess just also an understanding of the nature of relationships of your peers?? Maybe??? Idk

LeviR.star

Quote from: Altissimo on May 09, 2017, 04:06:23 PMI'd say having been in a relationship or two, being far enough past them that you can judge them with a clear eye and no bias for whatever reason, and I guess just also an understanding of the nature of relationships of your peers?? Maybe??? Idk

I've only had two. First lasted about 3 months, I think. Second lasted maybe 1, but she left my school.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Dudeman

Quote from: Dude on May 09, 2017, 03:56:27 PMYou seriously need to fuck off. Just saying.
You seriously need to stop being an ass. Just saying.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Allllll y'all can chill the hell out
what is shitpost

Dude

I'm not surprised at all that you of all people are defending him

mikey

Quote from: Dudeman on May 09, 2017, 04:15:36 PMYou seriously need to stop being an ass. Just saying.
hes right, MORTAL KOMBAT isnt really an acceptable way to settle differences
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

but what about kortal mombat
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on May 09, 2017, 04:17:57 PMAllllll y'all can chill the hell out
Yes, this is good, I agree.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 09, 2017, 05:58:43 PMbut what about kortal mombat
10/10 would recommend
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

davy

Quote from: Zunawe on May 08, 2017, 02:51:15 PMBut there's value in listening to people who objectively have more experience than you in an area, and it's almost frustrating when you reject advice.

I feel the need to express that you (plural) shouldn't expect everyone to follow your (plural) advice even if you (plural) have objectively more experience. People can be stubborn and don't follow your (plural) advice even though you (plural) are right. This either means that those people will figure out themselves that they are wrong while trying to do things their own way, or they will continue to be stubborn and getting frustrated about people being stubborn won't change the fact that they are stubborn.

In addition the situation of the people that you (plural) are advising may be different to how you (plural) imagine it. In this case you (singular) said:
Quote from: Zunawe on May 08, 2017, 02:51:15 PMbut trust me, your situation is not unique in many aspects.
and while this may be true, cash's situation is also not necessary as identical to the situations you (plural) have experience with as you (plural) think.

Finally, having more experience doesn't mean you (plural) are always right. It is possible that your (plural) experiences do not follow the norm, but you are projecting them to be the norm because you haven't experienced the norm.

I can imagine that it is frustrating when people reject your (plural) advice. However, people do not deserve to be treated hostile because they rejected your (plural) advice, even if you (plural) are right. If you (plural) are just going to be frustrated when people reject your advice they will end up not asking for your advice at all.

tl;dr People are not obligated to follow advice, and if it's frustrating when people reject your (plural) advice don't unload your frustration on them.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
[davy]'s in a way different time zone so basically he pops in at like 2 AM and posts 500 words and wins the game

mikey

Hey look Davy popped in at 2 am posted 500 words and won the game
unmotivated

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 11, 2017, 08:02:22 AMHey look Davy popped in at 2 am posted 500 words and won the game

Fuck, I lost the game.
what is shitpost

Zunawe

Nobody said it was black and white. It wasn't that he was saying we were wrong, it's that he didn't seem to be listening. "Reject" may not have been the right word; "ignore" may be better.

Ultimately, there's no substitute for personal experience, and words can't impart wisdom. But it's always a good idea to listen to what somebody has to say. At that point it's completely up to you what to do with their perspective.

I didn't mean to tell him to follow the advice, but to ask him to acknowledge the message people were trying to get across, because he seemed to be missing the point.

(Sorry, cashwarrior, for talking like you're the absent subject of some big thing. Davy's post has kinda moved away from you specifically so I didn't want to drag you back in if this becomes a string.)
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

SpartanChief17

Quote from: Zunawe on May 11, 2017, 11:39:39 AMNobody said it was black and white. It wasn't that he was saying we were wrong, it's that he didn't seem to be listening. "Reject" may not have been the right word; "ignore" may be better.

Ultimately, there's no substitute for personal experience, and words can't impart wisdom. But it's always a good idea to listen to what somebody has to say. At that point it's completely up to you what to do with their perspective.

I didn't mean to tell him to follow the advice, but to ask him to acknowledge the message people were trying to get across, because he seemed to be missing the point.

(Sorry, cashwarrior, for talking like you're the absent subject of some big thing. Davy's post has kinda moved away from you specifically so I didn't want to drag you back in if this becomes a string.)
You worded this much better than I would've.  I usually tend to be redundant and talk in circles.  Say the same thing but different wordings (whaddaya know! I'm doin' it right now!)
Basically, good job explaining this.
Spoiler
I am addicted to this song:
[close]