News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Studio Ghibli Films

Started by SlowPokemon, February 27, 2012, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite Studio Ghibli film?

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
1 (3.3%)
Castle in the Sky
2 (6.7%)
My Neighbor Totoro
3 (10%)
Grave of the Fireflies
0 (0%)
Kiki's Delivery Service
5 (16.7%)
Only Yesterday
0 (0%)
Porco Rosso
0 (0%)
Pom Poko
0 (0%)
Whisper of the Heart
2 (6.7%)
Princess Mononoke
0 (0%)
My Neighbors the Yamadas
0 (0%)
Spirited Away
6 (20%)
The Cat Returns
0 (0%)
Howl's Moving Castle
10 (33.3%)
Tales from Earthsea
0 (0%)
Ponyo
1 (3.3%)
The Secret World of Arrietty
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Ruto

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 29, 2012, 07:51:03 PMPrepare to cry.

Agreed. Better watch it with other people around...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

KefkaticFanatic

That is the most depressing film ever ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

me irl
[close]

Super Zombie

WHY WOULD YOU WATCH THAT!? Don't do that! Are you trying to convince yourself to commit suicide?

Also, I don't get why people like Miyazaki movies. I watched Spirited Away and I can sort of see how little kids would find it fun but not someone in their teens or older.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Super Zombie on March 02, 2012, 07:08:29 PMAlso, I don't get why people like Miyazaki movies. I watched Spirited Away and I can sort of see how little kids would find it fun but not someone in their teens or older.

Ban.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Olimar12345 on March 02, 2012, 07:09:53 PMBan.

Same...if you don't appreciate Miyazaki, I can't take you seriously as a movie lover.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Winter

KefkaticFanatic

No you aren't.  It is one of the more poorly reviewed films :|

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

^not from anything I've seen.... 3 and a half stars from ebert, 97% on rotten tomatoes and 100% from top critics...I haven't read a bad review beyond narrow minded people.

Super Zombie

I'm don't see how someone could call me narrow-minded. I gave it a shot. When someone recommends a movie to me, I almost always watch it. I really just don't see the appeal to an older audience. A little girl (who has no nose apparently, but that's besides the point) goes to a spirit town and her parents are turned into pigs. She has to work for a woman. There are several (more than most movies) antagonists, but every single time she overcomes the conflict, the antagonist turns good (reminded me of all the spy-kids villains). Then she gets her parents back and goes home. I guess one of my main problems with the plot was that every single bad guy turns out to be misunderstood or turns good, and there are a lot of them, with no main antagonist really. So it feels like a drawn-out sequence of episodes put together into a film. And I was bored the whole time.

I gave it a shot, I didn't like it, no one's ever been able to explain why they think it's good (and I have heard it's one of Miyazaki's worst, but the trailers for some of the other ones look very similar to this movie (ex: In the trailer of Howl's Moving Castle, you see a flying boy (who I guess turns into a flying creature) with a girl and an old woman. Very Spirited Away-esque, no?)). So don't hate me because I don't agree with you. I've given it thought and I'm not just dismissing it closed-mindedly.

SlowPokemon

I just have an inability to understand your viewpoint :P it's Miyazaki's masterpiece, other than Totoro, Kiki's, Mononoke, or Howl's...I can't understand your opinion. But whatevs.

Nana1Popo2

Not sure if this has been brought up anywhere, yet, but has anyone seen Arrietty?

I just saw it a few days ago, the American title "The Secret World of Arrietty." I thought it was pretty good! Spoilers: The only critique I'd have is the english voice acting for Sean and Arrietty's dad was a little bland... but. Sean was dying anyway, so I guess his voice would have to sound tired and all. Oh well! My favorite part was when they first entered the kitchen, and you could hear all the little sounds that we wouldn't hear normally. and i thought it was a cool idea. etc..
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

SlowPokemon

Arrietty was fantastic, it made me tear up a little at the end.

Pit0010

lol, i was the first one to like spirited away. I've watched it soo many times and loved it!
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

Super Zombie

Now that I've explained why I don't like it, why doesn't someone explain why they LIKE Spirited Away, so at least I can understand your viewpoints?

Pit0010

lol, lemme do dah explaining.

It's good for me coz it was my first ghibli studio film and i enjoyed the plot and characters sooo much! everything was plot at correct spots and everything finally came together smoothly. :P and at the end when the main character finally turned to look behind her gives us the suspense on whats gonna happen to that ghost bathhouse. the producers did it this way to give the viewers their own imagination on what's gonna happen to that bathhouse
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030