News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Hardest/Easiest Songs on the site.

Started by Yugi, January 22, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yugi

So what do you think are the most difficult/easy songs of each section of the website. I will post mine later.

I apologise if this is a bad idea for a thread.

SlowPokemon

I had a post typed out then I realized all I was doing was hating on arrangers. This is a bad thread and feelings will get hurt.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

spitllama

Easy: Most arrangements made before there was quality control

Hard: Maestromaestromaestromaestro
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

spitllama

lol oops just realized Maestro is hard
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Shadoninja

"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 22, 2013, 06:27:39 PMThis is a bad thread and feelings will get hurt.
Difficulty of a song does not necessarily mean that the arranger is bad; it just means that, for whatever reason, the arrangement is difficult to play for the "average person."
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Yugi

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 22, 2013, 07:36:13 PMDifficulty of a song does not necessarily mean that the arranger is bad; it just means that, for whatever reason, the arrangement is difficult to play for the "person attempting to play said song"
fixed

JDMEK5

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 22, 2013, 07:36:13 PMDifficulty of a song does not necessarily mean that the arranger is bad; it just means that, for whatever reason, the arrangement is difficult to play for the "average person."
Sometimes the only alternative to making it hard is to make it sound simple. Too simple.
(I'm totally jumping off your thought, dragon (if you don't mind me calling you that (I apologize right now if you find that offensive (holy crap I'm using a lot of parentheses!))))
Take the Athletic theme from Mario world. I think we can all agree that the biggest thing making this song one of the hardest video game songs of all time on piano, is the left hand and how it's always jumping so far. But take that away to make it easier -POW! - it sounds mundanely (just made that word up) simple. Boring in fact.
Because all your left with is the bass note every second beat. It just doesn't work.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Yugi on January 22, 2013, 07:39:21 PM
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 22, 2013, 07:36:13 PMDifficulty of a song does not necessarily mean that the arranger is bad; it just means that, for whatever reason, the arrangement is difficult to play for the person attempting to play said song.
Fixed.
Fixed punctuation, etc.
I'm sure some people can play the song, but for the "average person," as I said, it's difficult. Often, songs can become too complex, such as too many notes at once (for example, I can stretch my hands a full octave and play well; I can stretch further, although the notes won't sound very good at all), or too much going on between the left and right hands, leading to coordination troubles.

In a few cases, the songs are easy to play at a slow speed, but when played at the regular speed, by an "average person," they sound very messy; especially when one is required to stretch their hands wide distances, the person is unable to press all the way down on the keys, so the sound does not fully emerge.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on January 22, 2013, 07:45:49 PMSometimes the only alternative to making it hard is to make it sound simple. Too simple.
(I'm totally jumping off your thought, dragon (if you don't mind me calling you that (I apologize right now if you find that offensive (holy crap I'm using a lot of parentheses!))))
Whenever I play Gangplank Galleon, I always edit the song slightly, because a few parts in it are incredibly difficult to play without slowing down/sounding ultra-choppy (for example, measures 9 to 24; it sounds a bit jumbled when played on an actual piano, although it might just be my piano, something I doubt). It's a bit easier, and sounds rather good (in my opinion). :P

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

JDMEK5

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 22, 2013, 07:52:14 PMIt sounds a bit jumbled when played on an actual piano, ...
WARNING: YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ A SENTENCE THAT CONTAINS 100% HONESTY. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Nothing can sound better on an electric piano as compared to an acoustic.* (Grand or upright, doesn't matter)

*assuming you can feel the piano. A skill you don't get playing an electric with weighted keys.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Bubbles

Idk, my friend had this electric piano that I didnt even know was electric for a few months of playing it XD Though I was 10 years old, so maybe thats a factor :P

JDMEK5

I've been playing an acoustic upright my whole life.
The second I place my hands on weighted keys, it's like the piano literally screams through my fingers: "we're weighted! Don't bother with making the sound you want, just hit us!"
I never, never finish playing a song on an electric piano feeling satisfied with how it felt and sounded.

My Arrangements

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: JDMEK5 on January 22, 2013, 08:01:22 PMWARNING: YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ A SENTENCE THAT CONTAINS 100% HONESTY. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Nothing can sound better on an electric piano as compared to an acoustic.* (Grand or upright, doesn't matter)

*assuming you can feel the piano. A skill you don't get playing an electric with weighted keys.
...by "actual piano," I meant every piano, when compared to the midi... :P

Although I do own a Kurzweil RG100SE (we don't have room for a bigger piano D:), my piano teacher has an acoustic piano (though some of the keys require a great amount of force to push down, meaning that it's nearly impossible to play a song quietly). It just depends on each individual piano (unless it's a Steinway :P).

Quote from: JDMEK5 on January 22, 2013, 08:09:58 PMI've been playing an acoustic upright my whole life.
The second I place my hands on weighted keys, it's like the piano literally screams through my fingers: "we're weighted! Don't bother with making the sound you want, just hit us!"
I never, never finish playing a song on an electric piano feeling satisfied with how it felt and sounded.
Again, depending on what piano it is, weighted keys can make it easier or harder to play. I can play easily on acoustic pianos (lots of music recitals), but for some, it takes longer to adjust to (yet again, depending on the quality of the piano...).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber