News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on April 25, 2015, 10:25:23 PMI'm on my phone so I can't really offer anything remotely concrete, but have you considered a different time signature, such as 4/2 with minim = 45?
That might actually work. PM me if you want to see what I have and go from there.

Quote from: Jompa on April 26, 2015, 10:28:08 AMLots of great stuff
As always, Jompa comes through again. Thanks so much.

Maelstrom

Double post, but wait, D flat minor? Is it supposed to be C# minor?
Or D minor?

Jompa

yeah, sorry, the key Db-minor isn't a thing.
But I'm starting to get confused here, and this might just be because this recorder flute I'm using is out of tune (and I am literally to lazy to walk downstairs to my keyboard, or even just to opn Finale), but is it just me or is this song actually a bit sharper than what we in the west would call "in tune"? If I'm right: that sure is something to think about! (though again; I'm too lazy to check)
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom

I don't think so. I remember that it was pretty much in tune with the keyboard I keep next to my desk. Anyway, I already did that part but I need to double check the chords. It was something seriously weird.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

Bespinben

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on April 26, 2015, 06:37:31 PMTheoretical keys need love too D:
I used spellings from Gb minor during a modulating section in my "Hazy Pass" 4-hands duet ;)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Pianist Da Sootopolis

<3 <3 <3
I used to write some compositions of mine in G# major as opposed to A flat.
what is shitpost

Sebastian

MaestroUGC

They're nice in theory, but otherwise impractical for any real use in music notation. At least with a 12 tone tuning system, which is all we will ever use for the most part.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Maelstrom

That still doesn't answer my question about what key the song is in when it goes into those crazy chords.

Arc of the Half-Moon

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C99cdxsUa0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am currently working on arrangements of the first two tracks of this video, "Operation Intrude N313" and "Theme of Tara." Since these will be my first submissions to this site, I thought I'd take this opportunity to learn some of the ropes. I already have the time signature down for both songs, but I 'm not nearly as certain about the key signature. I personally hear an E minor throughout both songs up until about 51 seconds into the video, although it may be constant throughout both songs and I'm just not able to detect it.

Since I'm pretty much a full-blown amateur, I thought it would be best to get some quick confirmation while also introducing myself to the community. Thanks in advance!
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
YES - "Close to the Edge"
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/yesofficial/yes-close-to-the-edge[/soundcloud]
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
[close]

Jompa

The first one is in E-minor.
The second one is also in E-minor. What you hear at 51 seconds in isn't a modulation - it lands at and F-tritone chord (which is the tritone of the dominant, so it makes sense) and switches between that and a F-powerchord, but the tonal center is still back at E-minor. However at 1:06 this gets more complex as it start switching between that F-tritonechord and Gb7(with no 3rd) (making F the tonal center), and then it swithces between F-powerchord and Gb-powerchord (with an even clearer F as tonal center), before awkwardly making its way back to E-minor for that last long part before repeat.
Birdo for Smash

Arc of the Half-Moon

Quote from: Jompa on April 28, 2015, 10:27:16 AMThe first one is in E-minor.
The second one is also in E-minor. What you hear at 51 seconds in isn't a modulation - it lands at and F-tritone chord (which is the tritone of the dominant, so it makes sense) and switches between that and a F-powerchord, but the tonal center is still back at E-minor. However at 1:06 this gets more complex as it start switching between that F-tritonechord and Gb7(with no 3rd) (making F the tonal center), and then it swithces between F-powerchord and Gb-powerchord (with an even clearer F as tonal center), before awkwardly making its way back to E-minor for that last long part before repeat.

Wow! Well, now I'm really feeling bad about not having a legit piano lesson since half my life ago, because I have absolutely no idea how to make that look pretty on paper. Like I said: full-blown amateur. I can jot the notes down like nothing else because my brain is weird like that, but I think I just barely understood half of what you just told me.

Any chance you could help me learn what I need to do now that I have this information?

EDIT: Nevermind, looked it up. Thanks, by the way. I came here hoping to learn, and I wouldn't be doing that if I weren't getting so much helpful advice.
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
YES - "Close to the Edge"
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/yesofficial/yes-close-to-the-edge[/soundcloud]
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
[close]

Maelstrom

I still haven't gotten a definitive answer on what key it should be in at 1:26. (M 17)
Here's what I have stuck in C#m for some reason:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bn9nhbcgcx5h46a/Chaos.mus?dl=0

Jompa

It's C-minor (phrygian) there, just like the next part is Eb-minor (phrygian) - the reason I said Db was because my recorder had it's head pulled out from the body a bit, so it was more than a quarter tone low.
Tip for the part in Eb-minor: use F-flats instead of E-naturals, to get correct harmonic functions! And I'd suggest E-doubleflats for the D-naturals, both for having the chord steps correct, but also so that you don't have stuff like both Db and D, or Eb and E in the same chords - it gets confusing to read. So in the C-minor part you should use C-flats for those B-naturals when you change the key sig.
Birdo for Smash