What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

FierceDeity

Sorry for the late input on this but I'd definitely go with 4/4 at 90 bpm on chaos, mael. Feels much more natural to me than counting it at 45 bpm, plus having sixteenth note syncopations at 0:43 would be especially difficult, I think. There's also that sixteenth note echo/whatever effect near the beginning, which really shouldn't feel like 32nd notes imo.

As for 4/4 vs 4/2, it's kind of inconsequential in the very beginning (syncopation with tied over notes in 4/4 is perfectly fine), but 4/2 isn't really as appropriate once you get to 0:43, as the percussion background would divide it into two equal halves + generally indicate a quarter note pulse, and while that's not necessarily going to be notated in your arrangement, I still wouldn't feel it all as a single bar. Also, since the next section is clearly in 3/4, and there doesn't really seem to be a difference in pulse from the previous section, it makes more sense to me to just keep the pulse as a quarter note throughout.

Tobbeh99

I've just arranged this song but i'm not certain about the time signatures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvKsv0vvBVw

The first part, In the very beginning, is it 4/4 or 2/2, or something else?
The second part(0.14), is it 4/4 in the first three measures, or is it 5/4+3/4+4/4, or something else??
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Arc of the Half-Moon

https://www.youtube.com/embed/t4SHQSSeib4

Okay. So remember how I said I had the time signature all figured out for this song? Well, I thought I did, but now I'm not so sure.

The only issue I have is with the very beginning (the first 39 seconds). Keeping it in 4/4 time looks good on paper, but when I count it out in my head it sounds all kinds of weird. The only psychologically pleasing pattern I've come up with so far is going back and forth between 2/4 and 6/4 times, but that can't possibly be right, can it?

Could really use a second opinion here.
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
YES - "Close to the Edge"
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/yesofficial/yes-close-to-the-edge[/soundcloud]
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
[close]

Dudeman

4/4 is fine. The emphasis on beats one and two can throw off your sense or rhythm (along with the lack of drum/bass beat during those beats), but rhythmically it's all in 4/4. It's just really-weirdly-composed 4/4.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Maelstrom

Arc of the Half-Moon

Thank you. I think I finally have enough done right that I can submit this thing without being told I have to fix, well, everything. Expect it on the site within the hour.
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/yesofficial/yes-close-to-the-edge[/soundcloud]
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
[close]

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Arc of the Half-Moon on May 02, 2015, 02:54:44 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/embed/t4SHQSSeib4

Okay. So remember how I said I had the time signature all figured out for this song? Well, I thought I did, but now I'm not so sure.

The only issue I have is with the very beginning (the first 39 seconds). Keeping it in 4/4 time looks good on paper, but when I count it out in my head it sounds all kinds of weird. The only psychologically pleasing pattern I've come up with so far is going back and forth between 2/4 and 6/4 times, but that can't possibly be right, can it?

Could really use a second opinion here.

I'm pretty sure it's a slow 4/4, with 8ths subdivision in the bass.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

SO.....could someone tell me about modes? I've been taking a lot of theory intake lately and would like to know what modes are and how they function.

I know key sig very well. I have a trick
For sharps I remember this phrase:
F, C, G, D, A, E, B = Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Bacon
For Flats:
B, E, A, D, G, C, F = B, E, A, D, Game Cube Fan
Haha.....it might be silly.....but that's how I remember them :P
And if I know these, I can easily figure out the key sig.
C Major, G Major, D Major, A Major, E Major, B Major, F# Major, and C # Major.
(For minor you go down 3 half steps for example C Major = A Minor)

So, what are modes?

mikey

Ionian
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian
Locrian

They represent an octave played using only the white keys, Ionian is C, Dorian is D, Phrygian is E, Lydian is F, Mixolydian is G, Aeolian is A, and Locrian is B.  Locrian is illegal to use because it has 2 half steps in it's pentascale, which means it's demonic of origin.
unmotivated

FierceDeity

I'm gonna type a more, er, detailed explanation than that once I get to a computer lol

mikey

he didn't want them explained he just wanted to know what they were
unmotivated

Tobbeh99

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 03, 2015, 11:03:58 AMIonian
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian
Locrian

They represent an octave played using only the white keys, Ionian is C, Dorian is D, Phrygian is E, Lydian is F, Mixolydian is G, Aeolian is A, and Locrian is B.  Locrian is illegal to use because it has 2 half steps in it's pentascale, which means it's demonic of origin.

Locrian is illegal, hmm what happens if use it? Will the police come and arrest me?? ^^

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

worse, the catholics come and arrest you
unmotivated

Arc of the Half-Moon

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 03, 2015, 12:43:48 PMworse, the catholics come and arrest you

Not if I use my piano to summon Baphomet before they get here, they can't!
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
[close]