News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbeh99

I'd say it's fine to change time signatures even thou they are both compound, because the two themes have such a different character. The first part has somewhat of "march feel", you could even write it in 4/4 or 2/2 with triads. But at measure 11, it get's a different more flowy feel, and more broad phrases. You could also alter between those depending on the theme, because later the first theme comes back from times to times.
I'd say either 4/4 or 12/8 in the first, and 6/8 in the second, that way so make a clear distinction of the two.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

mastersuperfan

Now that I think about it more, I think maybe it would be better to keep everything in one consistent time signature even if it does mess up the notation a bit, because the two themes end up playing simultaneously at one point. Thanks for the opinions.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Jompa

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 30, 2015, 03:13:43 PMThe last three notes of each measure are forced to cross between the strong beats in 12/8 when in
reality they are actually on the last three beats of a standard 6/8 measure.

But that's kinda not true. What you've written in the arrangement is correct after what I'm saying. The pulse of the song is still 12/8 q=131. Just the fact that it goes over the beats doesn't mean it is experienced as a difference time signature. This exact example isn't even uncommon!

EDIT: oh, you replied first.
Birdo for Smash

FierceDeity

For the sake of apathy, and because Jompa pretty much covered it:

syncopation ≠ different time signature (or tempo)

Like, I can't even open your file (finale 2011, yo), but it's very apparent that's where your confusion lies. The reason I'd advocate 6/8 throughout as opposed to 12/8 is because in 6/8, the three-quarter-note syncopation falls on every second measure after 0:21, as opposed to the second half of every bar in 12/8, which I think is less clean. But it's really not that consequential; again, the differences between 6/8 and 12/8 are especially subtle. But either in q. = 131 (or probably 132, because as Jompa pointed out, multiples of four are typically better for metronomes) would be significantly better than 6/8 at half of the tempo (and even if you were to divide the beats that way, 3/4 at the same eighth note speed as q. = 131 would still be better, because at least every other measure would fit that beat subdivision).

Like, I'm glad that you're doing it all in 6/8 now, but to teach you how to catch fish as opposed to simply giving you one, so to speak, I want to reiterate:
Syncopations are common, and are generally much easier to fit into a common time signature than you might think.
Quote from: FierceDeity on May 30, 2015, 01:27:03 PMY'all think too much. Occam's razor, yo.

FireArrow

On the topic of syncopation...

I've got 5/4 switching to 4/4 at the 0:11 mark but I can't help but feel I've got the rhythm completely off. It just sounds wrong.
MUS
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Tobbeh99

Quote from: FireArrow on June 10, 2015, 03:23:41 PMOn the topic of syncopation...

I've got 5/4 switching to 4/4 at the 0:11 mark but I can't help but feel I've got the rhythm completely off. It just sounds wrong.
MUS

I think the problem might be that you got a wrong quintuple time signature. Try using 5/8 instead of 5/4, and the 4/4 as 4/4.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

FireArrow

Maybe that would help. It's like the sixteenth notes in the bass are too slow, but too fast if I decrease the note value.

FierceDeity

Nonononono, it's definitely 5/4. Double the note values and the tempo, put it in swing.

FireArrow

Tobbeh99

I need help with rhythm of the melody in this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9SWsTx5R4w

here's my file: [ZIP]
I only need help with measures 2 and 4, those are the measures I'm not certain about.

10/10 tobbeh

Maelstrom

Echo

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on June 15, 2015, 02:26:45 PMI need help with rhythm of the melody in this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9SWsTx5R4w

here's my file: [ZIP]
I only need help with measures 2 and 4, those are the measures I'm not certain about.

Here's what I've got for just measures 2 and 4 changed: MUS

But I disagreed with some other things, so here's a sheet with some other changes: MUS

Changed measures 5-7, and 12, so you can compare and contrast. Measure 12 I fixed up a rhythm, and in measure 5 I extended the length of the last note. Measure 6 is up in the air on whether you want to emulate how she sings the first word. The grace notes I removed because I just didn't hear those pitches in the song, but if you're sure on them, put them back in I guess. Measure 11 could be re-written to just be a grace note 'F' into 'G' I think.

Also, "The" shouldn't be capitalized. I'm not sure about whether "Arms" should be "ARMs" either, since that's what it's called in-game, but I've seen the game referred to as both, so I dunno.

Quote from: Maelstrom on June 15, 2015, 02:31:46 PMKey Sig

I thought I did this one already, but I can't find it. If I recall correctly though, it starts in 5 flats.

Tobbeh99

Thanks for the advices Echo :). What you did with the rhythm in measure 2 and 4, was what I started with, but I later changed it. I feel like the second note is longer than fourth note, so that's why I changed it, but later the notes in the 3rd and 4th beat, I think is correct as you'd done, with the F# at the last 16th, rather than on beat.

The ornamentation I've used, were somewhat what I think sounded good on piano with respect to the original song taken, but not necessary the "exact notes and pitch shifts" in the song. I will see later on when the song is complete what I'll do about them.   

10/10 tobbeh

Echo

Yeah, I saw what you were going for, and I think it's a neat approach. Can't wait to see the finished piece, and good luck!

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Since I'm going to try and arrange this,
I got the time sig as 4/4, but the key seems to elude me.. maybe F major?
what is shitpost