News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

C major. No flats, no sharps. Though that Bb makes it sound mixolydian, C is tonic and it should be displayed as such.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

TheMarioPianist

I'm 99% sure the answer is:

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 19, 2016, 06:24:17 PMC major. No flats, no sharps. Though that Bb makes it sound mixolydian, C is tonic and it should be displayed as such.

Yes, the same answer.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

mastersuperfan

I bet if you had this one claimed you'd be asking for this next:

Spoiler
[close]
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 23, 2016, 10:12:22 AMI bet if you had this one claimed you'd be asking for this next:

Spoiler
[close]

Heh. (Too bad it's already mine!)
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

E. Gadd Industries

Nope! I have no desire for Yoshi Circuit. However, I'll be looking for Tick Tock Clock afterward. XD
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

BrainyLucario

I need key sigs and time sigs for songs! I can work on it by hand while i'm grounded
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

AwesomeYears

1.) D minor, 6/8 (or 12/8, I can never figure out which one I should choose)
2.) A minor, fast 4/4.
3.) C major, can't exactly figure out time sig.

BrainyLucario

Thanks. I'll look into the 3rd time signature, I need to try and learn how to do that anyway

Yug_Guy

Tobbeh99

I just want to give a tip to all those who need help with key and time signature, basically show the way I do.

For key signature: I usually start picking out notes and eventually I see what key sig it should be in. For example if you have a song with reoccurring Bb and Eb, chances are that that song is in Bb-major/G-minor. A second tip is to see what chord it starts on, if the song also starts on a Bb-major chord, then it is probably in Bb-major (2 flats).

For time signature: Try locating the strong beats and the phrases, often these are played by the bass. In 4/4 it's 1 and 3, in 6/8 it's 1 and 4. try also listen if it's a simple or compound meter, by that I mean if it's a time signature that has 2 8ths (or 16ths) for every beat (simple), or if it has 3 8ths per beat (compound). Examples of simple time signatures are: 4/4, 2/2, 2/4, 3/4. Examples of compound time signatures are 6/8, 9/8, 12/8. It could also be an odd meter, like 5/4 and 7/8. 

You get better hearing this by time, and hopefully can by able to pick up the time and key signatures on your own.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 25, 2016, 08:43:42 AMI just want to give a tip to all those who need help with key and time signature, basically show the way I do.

For key signature: I usually start picking out notes and eventually I see what key sig it should be in. For example if you have a song with reoccurring Bb and Eb, chances are that that song is in Bb-major/G-minor. A second tip is to see what chord it starts on, if the song also starts on a Bb-major chord, then it is probably in Bb-major (2 flats).

For time signature: Try locating the strong beats and the phrases, often these are played by the bass. In 4/4 it's 1 and 3, in 6/8 it's 1 and 4. try also listen if it's a simple or compound meter, by that I mean if it's a time signature that has 2 8ths (or 16ths) for every beat (simple), or if it has 3 8ths per beat (compound). Examples of simple time signatures are: 4/4, 2/2, 2/4, 3/4. Examples of compound time signatures are 6/8, 9/8, 12/8. It could also be an odd meter, like 5/4 and 7/8. 

You get better hearing this by time, and hopefully can by able to pick up the time and key signatures on your own.
^I'm saving this, btw.^
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

12Mari0

Not quite sure b/c of the modulations...
Mario: Some sort of superman who can smash bricks with his head. Dies when he touches a turtle. Nintendo logic.

BrainyLucario

I need a time and key sig for this song, as well.

12Mari0

I need the time sig for this one instead please...
Mario: Some sort of superman who can smash bricks with his head. Dies when he touches a turtle. Nintendo logic.