News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

4/4, but the intro's a little wonky. I think the first two quick notes are a pickup.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

12Mari0

I derped. I meant key signature... Sorry...
Mario: Some sort of superman who can smash bricks with his head. Dies when he touches a turtle. Nintendo logic.

Tobbeh99

B-major, but I think it modulates later on to A-major or something.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

BrainyLucario

When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Tobbeh99

A-minor I think.
time signature.. I don't know, the song doesn't go in a strict time signature/tempo. If you want it really accurate I think it requires many time signature changes, another option is to simplify the rhythm and write rubato in the beginning indicating that the tempo is a bit free. 

I think the second part at 0:09 goes entirely in 4/4 however. The first part, I don't know.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

Here is the entire version, Brainy, with the correct title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG757bPPXZQ

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 28, 2016, 09:52:04 AMA-minor I think.
time signature.. I don't know, the song doesn't go in a strict time signature/tempo. If you want it really accurate I think it requires many time signature changes, another option is to simplify the rhythm and write rubato in the beginning indicating that the tempo is a bit free. 

I think the second part at 0:09 goes entirely in 4/4 however. The first part, I don't know.
Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to disagree. I'm definitely getting F as the tonic.
It's actually not a minor key, it's F major. It may be in 3/4.....but since this song is pretty wonky, I'm not 100% sure.
Here is the original song which this video game song was derived from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy6uV-eMOEs

mastersuperfan

Sounds like F major/D minor to me (seems to switch between them, but the key signature won't change).
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

So, bit of a complex question here. I'm planning to arrange this song from the first Bioshock:

And then I found out that the composer has released the scores for it!
http://garryschyman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/garryschymanbioshock.pdf

But, as you can see, he has it in 4/4 with groups of 6 all over the place. Theory nerds will be quick to spot that that's technically incorrect, especially as it's literally the entire piece's motif.
So, question; should I do it as the composer has, with 4/4 and groups of 6, 12/8, or 6/8? I bring up 6/8 because there are a couple half measures (and one 3/4 measure) in the manuscript where Schyman goes into 2/4 or 3/4, and having a "shorter" time signature would allow for those measures to exist w/o messing with the time signature.

For the moment, I'm doing 6/8 for that reason. Would love to hear your thoughts.
what is shitpost

Tobbeh99

I mean both works I guess. But I think it's fine if you want to do it in a compound meter.

10/10 tobbeh

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Well both 12/8 and 6/8 are in compound meter. I'm just gonna do it in 6/8 so I don't have to do a half measure later. The piece is organized in long cells anyways, might as well.
what is shitpost

Zeila

Olimar12345

Sounds like C phrygian, notated with accidentals and a key signature of no sharps or flats.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 03, 2016, 05:36:25 PMSounds like C phrygian, notated with accidentals and a key signature of no sharps or flats.

Ehhhhh but isn't C phrygian supposed to derive from C minor? 3 flats? Didn't that book you posted in the Ocarina Melodies thread have that? :p

Olimar12345

Correct! I misspoke. It is a minor mode. Thank you!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

BrainyLucario

I need the time signature /key signature  for this song.
Thanks!
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.