News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

It's absolutely not swing. There are running triplets constantly throughout the entire piece, as well as some syncopated rhythms in the melody that would only make sense in compound time. Use a compound meter, like 12/8.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

^100% agree, just listen to that drum set-definitely not swing. I'd probably use 12/16, but that's just me.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Lenny Face on July 09, 2016, 05:26:18 AMWhat key and time signature is this in?

I have a feeling it's in swing 4/4 and E flat major but I'm not so sure.
I agree it's in compound quadruple meter (I'd probably end up using 12/8 time), but it swings pretty rapidly between a Bb tonic and a C tonic (leaning towards Bb major-like, C minor-like, F-minor-solo-on-dominant-like, and C-double-harmonic-like). I suspect you may need to rapidly change key signatures or pick a base key signature based on the ones I suggested, then put on a lot of accidentals.

WaluigiTime64

Is the first section in 3/4, 6/8 or 12/8? I don't actually know the difference (between 6/8 and 12/8), so an explanation would be nice!
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Altissimo

The difference between 6/8 and 12/8 is akin to the difference between 2/4 and 4/4 - whether the piece relies on 2-beat or 4-beat units.

WaluigiTime64

Using that logic (to an extent), is the first section in 6/8?
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Altissimo

It's a little hard to tell, I'm not quite sure (sorry!) I only stopped in to mention the 6/8 12/8 thing because you asked.

mikey

why not just count the whole thing in 4/4
unmotivated

Dudeman

I'd say 12/8, personally. I don't think two-beat phrases really work here.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Olimar12345

^6/8 would actually work pretty great here. There are two, 2-beat phrases per chord-change, so you could have them one-per-bar without having really long, compound 12/8 measures.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on July 13, 2016, 05:07:08 PMwhy not just count the whole thing in 4/4

You're joking, right? xD
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

WaluigiTime64

Judging by the first 4 measures, 6/8 is probably the most suitable for this.

Olimar12345

whoa, you've turned around the beat there. Half the note values and condense every two measures into one measure.

WaluigiTime64

Hmm... Kinda looks off though.
Also I'm going to have to half the note values for the entire arrangement...

Olimar12345

That looks right to me! That's how I'd do it! :D

WaluigiTime64

Just a quick comparison here.

I've been taught that 6/8 time goes: 1 + + 2 + +
Compared to 3/4, which goes: 1 + 2 + 3 +

The first image (what I had originally), matches the bassline to the beat of 6/8. The second image (what you're telling me) doesn't match, so I never even considered it when arranging.