Arrangement Contest No. 5 in E-sharp "Variable Mix"

Started by MaestroUGC, December 21, 2014, 05:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So many variations, but only one will stand supreme!

them
1 (8.3%)
Olimar12345
4 (33.3%)
Bloop
3 (25%)
FierceDiety
4 (33.3%)
Clanker37
0 (0%)
FireArrow
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: February 01, 2015, 03:52:33 PM

Clanker37

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 26, 2015, 03:15:25 PMWHERE THE FUCK IS THE EUPHONIUM
It was in the piece to begin with, but then it had nothing to play, so.... Also I'm relatively clueless when it comes to euphonium, so I wouldn't have done it any justice. I will make it up to you next time.

I would also comment to individual pieces, but there's only so many ways I can say "It be good." Also, I'm lazy :P

Sebastian

Quote from: Clanker37 on January 26, 2015, 09:43:50 AMDon't be mean to Maestro! He's worked very hard on this contest! At least in some way, I'm sure...
Very True!

Great job everyone! :)

I see maestro is a mod...

SlowPokemon

Euphonium is a shitty, shitty instrument... imo
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bloop

i have no actual idea how any woodwind/brass instrument works but i still write for them because

Olimar12345

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 27, 2015, 10:56:59 AMEuphonium is a shitty, shitty instrument... imo

Lol you usually see this comment from people who haven't heard enough eupho lit (or any at all d: ) The instrument is fantastic, there's just not much inclusion for it in regular ensembles due to its relatively new-ness (similar to saxophone).
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

Wow!  Fierce, your variations on Crimson Loftwing are absolutely beautiful.  No other way to describe it.
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 27, 2015, 01:04:44 PMLol you usually see this comment from people who haven't heard enough eupho lit (or any at all d: ) The instrument is fantastic, there's just not much inclusion for it in regular ensembles due to its relatively new-ness (similar to saxophone).

Nah crazy brass players have raved about how beautiful it is and they make me listen to euphonium pieces and it's just kind of gross like French horn is infinitely better. A lot of brass instruments make me want to throw up tho
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

MaestroUGC

The Euphonium has its uses, but I've found no need for it within my own works and arrangements yet. I find it's best for off stage brass ensembles, combined with a couple of trumpets and a trombone.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

FierceDeity

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 27, 2015, 02:43:42 PMNah crazy brass players have raved about how beautiful it is and they make me listen to euphonium pieces and it's just kind of gross like French horn is infinitely better. A lot of brass instruments make me want to throw up tho

lol
those crazy brass players, pretending they know shit about brass
like how the registers and functional velocities of different instruments aren't just interchangeable for extremely mild timbral swaps
Also idk what other brass instruments you could possibly be talking about, but unless it's something other than trumpet, french horn, trombone, tuba, or their variants, have fun disagreeing with basically everyone, I guess

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 27, 2015, 03:43:33 PMThe Euphonium has its uses, but I've found no need for it within my own works and arrangements yet. I find it's best for off stage brass ensembles, combined with a couple of trumpets and a trombone.

No yeah, it's situational, to be sure. It's a lot more necessary in wind band though, on the account of the fact that there are few viable substitutes for cello that can actually have both velocity and timbral weight. Its only real use in the orchestra is as a solo instrument (speaking more generally of the tenor tuba family, for which Holst, Mussorgsky, and Mahler wrote pretty goddamn well), so I can easily understand why it's not more common there.

EDIT:

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 27, 2015, 02:06:26 PMWow!  Fierce, your variations on Crimson Loftwing are absolutely beautiful.  No other way to describe it.

Though I'm sure this was mostly for the joke about the name discretion, still, thank you haha

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 26, 2015, 04:31:15 PM?? No part of my arrangement was jazz though...

Dat improvisational feel bari solo begs to differ, lol
Also, 3:50 and 4:40 definitely seem jazz-inspired, at the very least
Idk, maybe I'm just really not accustomed to hearing saxes, particularly tenor+bari, within a classical setting (aside from standard wind band stuff). It's a shame finale playback (especially the non-HP MIDI) has so few sound possibilities; I take it you're probably thinking of a much warmer, less nasal sound for this.

Quote from: them on January 26, 2015, 07:29:05 PMIt's really a shame that I can't zoom in for the bigger orchestral arrangements, and how some of the Finale playbacks sound like a solo piano instead of different instruments (on my end, at least).

You should be able to zoom in on all versions of finale, I believe. 2012 notepad definitely has the capability, though only to specific preset %'s. I think it should still be under the "view" tab? Though, no version (that I'm aware of) really has the ability to move around to different sections (in terms of parts, not measure #) of the score while playing; if anybody knows of a way to do that successfully in 2011 that'd be awesome

Olimar12345

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 27, 2015, 07:24:36 PMDat improvisational feel bari solo begs to differ, lol
Also, 3:50 and 4:40 definitely seem jazz-inspired, at the very least
Idk, maybe I'm just really not accustomed to hearing saxes, particularly tenor+bari, within a classical setting (aside from standard wind band stuff). It's a shame finale playback (especially the non-HP MIDI) has so few sound possibilities; I take it you're probably thinking of a much warmer, less nasal sound for this.

Not at a computer, but if you're referring to variation 3, dotted eighth-sixteenth =/= jazz eighths. There is such a thing as classical saxophone, as was their original intent. As for sound quality, you'll have to take finale's playback with a grain of salt.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 27, 2015, 07:24:36 PMThough I'm sure this was mostly for the joke about the name discretion, still, thank you haha
what name discretion that was just a bonus  ;D
It was mostly for praise
unmotivated

dahans

Nice job everyone! And sorry again for not submitting even a single measure. But unfortunately business school was keeping me a little busy :)
But the next time, take care and there will be one more serious opponent!
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

MaestroUGC

Final results will be posted as soon as I get home tonight, around 10-ish CST.

Just want to say congratulations to all who participated, you're all winners in my book.

Some of you are just more winningerest than others.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

mikey

unmotivated