News:

You just lost the game.

Main Menu

Non-finale music notation softwares

Started by flygon9, January 11, 2015, 11:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flygon9

I've gotten a lot of my sheet music from this site, and since I enjoy transcribing in my free time, so I figured that I could give back with a couple sheets. However, thus beings the problems. My main expertise in notation programs is in musescore, and I'm getting better at Sibelius. But, everything on this site is Finale-based. I'm trying Notepad, however it's very primitive compared to what I'm used to. So I figure the best solution to just write songs in a different program and import them into Notepad via music XML. However, this hasn't worked. Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what I can do to work around using Notepad?

Olimar12345

What many of the notepad users do here is they do as much as they can on notepad, then post their "in progress" arrangements in this topic, asking other users with more advanced versions of finale to make the edits for them.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

Quote from: flygon9 on January 11, 2015, 11:32:07 AMDoes anyone else have any suggestions as to what I can do to work around using Notepad?
Yes. Buy Finale.

flygon9

Aw dang. I already spent a ton of time on a duet version of the contest theme from ORAS. I guess i should start re-inputting that into notepad, huh? And as a side note, I was asking for finale for Christmas, but my parents contacted my band teacher and he recommended Sibelius, as it was more user-friendly. So that's what I ended up getting. (Not that I'm complaining of course, it works wonders.)

Olimar12345

I hear that Sibelius is more user-friendly, and the people running the company are actually not chimpanzees. I guess it sucks that finale is the industry standard :/
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

My music professor also recommended Sibelius.  It seems to be very good.  Unfortunately Finale is just what everyone uses.  As far as notepad 2012 goes that's just your basics.  It's okay for the level I'm at because I can just have people do the changes while my sheet is getting fixed :D
unmotivated

JDMEK5

Didn't Finale have some discount for people coming off Sibelius? Or did that promotion end already?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Olimar12345

They probably still do. It's similar to their ongoing student discount, iirc.

FierceDeity

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 11, 2015, 07:35:44 PMI guess it sucks that finale is the industry standard :/

Which industry are we talking here
Because like, everyone else in my major (music comp; except for one other person) and all of my professors (that I know of) use/recommend sibelius
So I'm legitimately curious as to where it's mainly used, if not in academia

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

flygon9

Well regardless of whether or not they still have that discount, I doubt that it lowers the price enough that my 15 year old self can afford it.

Olimar12345

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 12, 2015, 02:12:47 AMWhich industry are we talking here
Because like, everyone else in my major (music comp; except for one other person) and all of my professors (that I know of) use/recommend sibelius
So I'm legitimately curious as to where it's mainly used, if not in academia

Everyone here at the schools I've been to says that it's the industry standard for music publishers in the US.

KefkaticFanatic

Regardless, it's the standard we've adopted with our abnormally large number of sheets, and  I don't think we're going to switch to something different anytime soon.  We would rather have everything conform to one style than force users to download 4 different clients.

me irl
[close]

JDMEK5

Quote from: flygon9 on January 12, 2015, 05:26:03 AMWell regardless of whether or not they still have that discount, I doubt that it lowers the price enough that my 15 year old self can afford it.
I did it at that age. Just work and save up and you'll have $350 before you know it. (Or less depending on the discount. I haven't checked it in a while)
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Olimar12345

You can always get the student discount as long as you can prove you're a student.