News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Arrangement Contest No. 7 - Brainstorming

Started by FierceDeity, May 09, 2015, 01:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you like to see as this contest's theme?

JUST the "making songs happier" idea
5 (50%)
JUST the "limited orchestration" idea (idk how that'd actually work)
2 (20%)
Both ideas, WITH THEIR POWERS COMBINED
2 (20%)
The "limited orchestration" idea, but in combination with another theme
0 (0%)
Solo with optional accompaniment
0 (0%)
Something else, all of these ideas suck
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: May 13, 2015, 06:23:06 PM

Olimar12345

Does anyone else want to host? Yug_guy? I would much rather write something that host. Also we need to decide on a theme. I still think less mood-invert would be better.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

Double post: would anyone be opposed to doing theme and variations again? It looks like there are enough new arrangers who didn't do it last time, and the genre is so broad it allows for much creative freedom (Not to mention the idea is simple enough for everyone to grasp). I personally wouldn't mind writing another one in that style.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

InsigTurtle

Would the criteria be the same as last time?

Olimar12345

I imagine it would be similar. We could edit it though. What did you have in mind?

InsigTurtle

I was thinking of changing the "Major<->Minor" variation to include any musical mode. I want to experiment with something.

Also, would this be simply variations on, lets say, a couple of phrases? Or the entire piece?

Olimar12345

The idea was to pick a piece that was short enough to be a theme do variations on without it being super long. And I'm totally down for a freer use of modes.

InsigTurtle

Would choosing a specific section of a piece be fine, too?

Clanker37

Last time I think some people did a couple of phrases of a longer song, though I can't remember too accurately. I did the entire piece, but I chose "Ranger Base," from Pokemon Ranger, which is really short. I'd support Theme and Variation again since it's nice and easy and fun.

We need a host before anything. Anyone know where Yug Guy is?

Quote from: InsigTurtle on December 23, 2015, 10:43:03 PMI was thinking of changing the "Major<->Minor" variation to include any musical mode. I want to experiment with something.
So like from Ionian to Dorian (for example) you mean? That would be really interesting and would require a lot of thought. Of course if the change in mode is up to the arranger, then it can still technically cover a Major to minor (or vice versa) change for those who are yet to understand modes.

STOP NINJA'RING ME >:IIIIIIII

Tobbeh99

Also I thought it was already decided, but y, I like the idea of making a song "happier". Quite simple theme but has room for lot of creativity. 
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 23, 2015, 10:11:07 PMDoes anyone else want to host? Yug_guy? I would much rather write something that host. Also we need to decide on a theme. I still think less mood-invert would be better.
Sorry, I was a bit busy yesterday, so I'm still catching up on stuff. Yes, I am interested in hosting. I'll probably post my thoughts on theme, etc. later.

Olimar12345

How about Latios hosts and you judge, once you said you could do both? Problem solved lol.

Also we should probably repoll theme ideas, since this was from a while ago. Everyone post your ideas!

Ones that I remember rn:
-make a song sound happier
-theme and variations 2
-solo instrument plus optional accompaniment

New idea:
-arrange something for an instrument family (sax choir, trumpet trio, string quartet, etc. )

mastersuperfan

What about turning something into a boss fight theme?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Sebastian

mastersuperfan

Winter-ifying something? It is the Christmas season right now after all.

Then again there's still no snow...

Also, I'd be willing to judge.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.