News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Arranging/Perfect Pitch/Other random music stuff discussion

Started by Tobbeh99, August 17, 2015, 12:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on August 17, 2015, 02:18:51 PMI have another good test for you guys to try. I need to find it. I got a 25/26 because I hadn't heard of one of the songs.

Not for sure if it actually tests perfect pitch, but it tests your sense of pitch in general.

Here is the test.

Got a 26/26, awesome!
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Hero of Trains

I'm really confused now, because I only knew about 2/3 of the songs, but I still got 26/26. What?
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

Nebbles

Same actually, I didn't know a few of them, but I still could tell they sounded incredibly off when the pitches were distorted.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Hero of Trains on August 17, 2015, 03:48:12 PMI'm really confused now, because I only knew about 2/3 of the songs, but I still got 26/26. What?

I think that's part of how they test your sense of pitch. Even if you don't know every song, you would be able to tell if a song is just, I don't know, wrong. Like some of them, even if I didn't know the song, I could pick up what key it was and tell if some of the notes were out of key. That's my theory, anyway.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

ThatGamer

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on August 17, 2015, 04:20:55 PMI think that's part of how they test your sense of pitch. Even if you don't know every song, you would be able to tell if a song is just, I don't know, wrong. Like some of them, even if I didn't know the song, I could pick up what key it was and tell if some of the notes were out of key. That's my theory, anyway.

Well. Those nine years of piano were totally wasted...can't get a single freaking correct answer. Can't wait for high school piano exams next week...
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

InsigTurtle

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on August 17, 2015, 01:42:16 PMHere is a perfect pitch test, if you want to try.
I found this to be pretty easy, 20/20. Admittedly, I started getting bored and I just started identifying the notes in the atonal music.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on August 17, 2015, 02:18:51 PMI have another good test for you guys to try. I need to find it. I got a 25/26 because I hadn't heard of one of the songs.
Not for sure if it actually tests perfect pitch, but it tests your sense of pitch in general.

Here is the test.
I got 26/26 on that one. I'm not sure how others did it, but I basically just identified the key and identified notes that didn't belong in any related key. But there was that one sample that had played "D C G" instead of "D B G", which would have tripped me up if I hadn't heard that song before. Although, I guess the latter would be better harmonically.

Honestly, I don't associate any note with a colour or song or anything. I just hear the note and I think "shit dawg dat be a F#/Gb". 

I'm interested in how others identify chords. I'm too lazy to find anything at the moment, but I'll just ask y'all how you hear them. Do you try to hear out the individual notes, do you identify the quality first, etc. etc.

Apparently, people who speak tonal languages (only ones I can think of at the moment are Chinese languages) have more ease with pitch identification, so I may have had a slight advantage.

Nebbles

I try to hear the notes in the chord and go from there, once I get one note identified, I try to hear what notes are around it.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 17, 2015, 05:05:28 PMWell. Those nine years of piano were totally wasted...can't get a single freaking correct answer. Can't wait for high school piano exams next week...

Or not. Those nine years probably has maybe not made you to a person with the sharpest ear, but made you a superb pianist. And relative pitch will come with time, try listen to different intervals/chords and learn how they sound.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Nebbles

The best way to improve your ear is constantly listen to music. All kinds of music. Keep your ears sharp and listen to every little voice.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 17, 2015, 05:13:28 PMI found this to be pretty easy, 20/20. Admittedly, I started getting bored and I just started identifying the notes in the atonal music.

Good, I wasn't the only one doing that. ;D

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 17, 2015, 05:13:28 PMHonestly, I don't associate any note with a colour or song or anything. I just hear the note and I think "shit dawg dat be a F#/Gb". 

I'm interested in how others identify chords. I'm too lazy to find anything at the moment, but I'll just ask y'all how you hear them. Do you try to hear out the individual notes, do you identify the quality first, etc. etc.

Apparently, people who speak tonal languages (only ones I can think of at the moment are Chinese languages) have more ease with pitch identification, so I may have had a slight advantage.

For hearing pitches and chords, basically what you said, that's what I do. That tonal language thing is interesting. I wouldn't know, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on August 17, 2015, 05:25:47 PMOr not. Those nine years probably have made you into a superb pianist, but maybe not to a person with the sharpest ear. And relative pitch will come with time, try listen to different intervals/chords and learn how they sound.

@ThatGamer piano lessons are definitely not a waste...basically what Tobbeh99 said.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

I am quite bad at hearing chords, especially songs with more difficult chords and more verity in chord coloring. But I usually listen to the sound of the chord, a dim-chord sounds demonic, a minor7 sounds smooth etc. But sometimes I listen to the notes, the bass line etc.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

ThatGamer

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on August 17, 2015, 05:25:47 PMOr not. Those nine years probably has maybe not made you to a person with the sharpest ear, but made you a superb pianist. And relative pitch will come with time, try listen to different intervals/chords and learn how they sound.
Quote from: TheMarioPianist on August 17, 2015, 05:28:59 PM@ThatGamer piano lessons are definitely not a waste...basically what Tobbeh99 said.

Yeah, I guess. Still can't play the songs I want like DKC forest theme or Kirby's Return to dream land boss battle though. Which is why I started when I was 7...perhaps next year...
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 17, 2015, 05:05:28 PMWell. Those nine years of piano were totally wasted...can't get a single freaking correct answer. Can't wait for high school piano exams next week...
The point of piano lessons is not to train your ear (though my teacher works on ear training with me as part of my training), but to train your technique and musicality. Which is separate from your playing, though it can help.
For listening to every little voice, I'd recommend listening to Bach's WTC. Both books. Great stuff, can't wait to play more of it!
what is shitpost

JDMEK5

I've got relative pitch now just from listening closely to music for 7 years. Just listen hard to everything and learn all your favs on the piano. Even just single notes with the melodic line. Then you start being able to match pitches with familiar parts of certain songs and then after that you just kinda know.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

ThatGamer

Quote from: JDMEK5 on August 17, 2015, 07:29:02 PMI've got relative pitch now just from listening closely to music for 7 years. Just listen hard to everything and learn all your favs on the piano. Even just single notes with the melodic line. Then you start being able to match pitches with familiar parts of certain songs and then after that you just kinda know.

literally have been practicing this song for years, (Tree Top Town) anyone who can help me? On this page: http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/browse/series/DonkeyKong