Arranging/Perfect Pitch/Other random music stuff discussion

Started by Tobbeh99, August 17, 2015, 12:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hero of Trains

I listen to music extended a lot, and I just go from one voice to another and hum along. I always wonder what people think when I have earbuds in and I'm humming the bass line. :P
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

Nebbles

Heh, I've done the same thing, trying to sing other parts of the song than the melody.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 17, 2015, 07:37:58 PMliterally have been practicing this song for years, (Tree Top Town) anyone who can help me? On this page: http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/browse/series/DonkeyKong

Well, I can see why you have been practicing that for years. That syncopation ain't easy! The only tips I can give (which you've probably done before) are take it slow and take it one hand at a time. Songs with bass lines like that are common in video games, but not easy to play on piano. Not that the melody is much easier...
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

ThatGamer

There was this app, can't remember it's name, but you would put headphones in and sing along to a tune. Always thought that was dumb. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on August 17, 2015, 07:59:31 PMWell, I can see why you have been practicing that for years. That syncopation ain't easy! The only tips I can give (which you've probably done before) are take it slow and take it one hand at a time. Songs with bass lines like that are common in video games, but not easy to play on piano. Not that the melody is much easier...

Yes, it is really hard. Maybe if i take it slow it could work...
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Tobbeh99

Hmm it looks kind of tricky with a lot of rhythm/timing with the hands. When there are lots of same notes after each of (tremolo) like measure 15 switch fingers 1-4-3-2-1-4-3-2-1 etc.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Bloop

Not to mention the rhythm on that sheet is awfully inaccurate. The bassline is supposed to be in tuplets, or the whole song should be in 12/8 timing or something

Tobbeh99

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 17, 2015, 08:00:48 PMThere was this app, can't remember it's name, but you would put headphones in and sing along to a tune. Always thought that was dumb. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yes, it is really hard. Maybe if i take it slow it could work...

Just something in general with the site's music sheets and game music sheets: They are often very hard and mostly because the songs are not made to be played on piano. Some, as bloop said, it might also be difficult because of bad/old arrangement. In a lot of arrangements I find the bass to be difficult because of being so rhythmical and fast. It might be a wise idea to pick a song, not because it's your favorite song, but because it's either well-arranged and/or suitable for piano.   
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

ThatGamer

Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Sebastian

Hmmmmm.....I've been humbled. I didn't do very good on the test :/

ThatGamer

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 18, 2015, 01:51:16 PMHmmmmm.....I've been humbled. I didn't do very good on the test :/

Better than me I'm sure, lol. if you did worse you have problems haha

Blank

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on August 17, 2015, 02:18:51 PMI have another good test for you guys to try. I need to find it. I got a 25/26 because I hadn't heard of one of the songs.

Not for sure if it actually tests perfect pitch, but it tests your sense of pitch in general.

Here is the test.

25/26 Awell.. I didn't know aproximately 10 samples but you can easily hear if they are out of tune.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art."

― Frédéric Chopin

crystal20

a pretty good relative pitch and it's easier to learn probably because you hear 2 or more notes and it's about hearing the relation to the notes, if it sounds dissonant or not etc., while perfect pitch you hear 1 or more notes and you have to know/feel what note it is.

Tobbeh99

y true.

I also wonder: Sometimes when I arrange songs I maybe put an F note in my sheet, and I can almost hear the song "Adlehyde Castle" from Wild Arms, when the note plays. And the thing is that that song starts on a F, at least the bass. I wonder has this anything to do with Perfect Pitch?? Or is it just some memorization?? 

10/10 tobbeh

braix

I guess you could use that to achieve perfect pitch if you practice?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mastersuperfan

I instinctively memorize the key a piece of music is in, so if I hear it in the wrong key, I get extremely annoyed. As a result, I have somewhat of a sense of perfect pitch by remembering the music. For example, I memorize A by remembering Melty Monster Galaxy from SMG2, C by remembering Luigi/Mario/Yoshi Circuit from MKDD, and D by memorizing Ghostly Galaxy from SMG and Megalovania from Undertale. There are a whole lot of other examples, too, but those ones are the most common ones that I remember.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.